Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 9,911 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an atheist hapa (half white, half asian) looking to relocate to probably Johnson City, or a surrounding suburb such as Gray or Jonesborough, and I'm wondering if I'd be safe there? I plan to work as a software developer remotely, and I'm interested in the area because of the weather, the affordable housing, low taxes, and relative freedom. I lean libertarian/republican.

I plan to mind my own business and not evangelize my religious views (or lack of religious views). If I'm invited to church I would be thankful for the invitation but would not actually take anyone up on the offer; I would not attend any church.

Ethnically I could maybe pass as white or light skinned mestizo, or actually what I am -- hapa. I wonder if this would present me with any problems? I'm not looking to be welcomed into the community with open arms, I just don't want to get lynched or be heavily discriminated against.

I have lived in Alabama for about 3 years, so I'm not entirely clueless about the South. But I have never been to Tennessee.

I plan to keep to myself and be polite to neighbors, etc. but I probably wouldn't participate too much in the community unless I have kids. I would mainly stay home and code, and leave to just buy groceries and what not. I'm mainly looking for a cheap house that's kind of spaced out from neighbors. I don't need a huge plot of land, just some breathing room, and a big house (since I'd be indoors almost all day). I don't particularly need to be in the city for a job, but maybe I would need to avoid the really rural areas due to my phenotype and possibly because of my atheism. Internet access might be a moot point, since I could use Starlink internet, even if I decide on moving to a really rural area.

The Johnson City area seems to meet a lot of my desires, but I am really open to moving anywhere.

I appreciate any advice.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:54 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Ok, we aren't living the movie Deliverance here in east TN, you should be fine.
I'm atheist, I respect others desire to express their religious views, I've never had any issues with it here.
I cannot imagine your ethnicity as a problem either. My elderly neighbor had a Japanese wife, lots of kids and apparently a fairly large extended mixed race family, they loved it here.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Johnson City has a university with over 10,000 students. In addition, JC is home to the area's hospital system HQ, VA hospital, and is the most progressive city in the area. It is quite nice for a city its size that is hours away from any major metro, and an hour away from the next closest area of consequence (Asheville, NC). Asheville is a bit more racially diverse, but the city itself is very liberal. Race is not going to be an issue.

As an atheist who tends to vote Republican as well, it can be difficult to meet like-minded people, simply because so many social connections are formed in church. For the most part, the church thing can be ignored.

The issues with the rural areas around here have more to do with a lack of services/infrastructure, drugs, geographic isolation, and a poor job market than anything about race.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the responses so far, I really appreciate it.

I have only seen parts of the movie Deliverance, but the sound of banjos still freaks me out.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememind View Post

I have only seen parts of the movie Deliverance, but the sound of banjos still freaks me out.
Johnson City has nothing in common with Deliverance. It's a modern, growing small city that is the centerpiece of a larger, rural area.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:

haha, go to any of the forums in the southern states and we will ALWAYS get posts like this "will I be safe there because I am *choose minority, religious, or political affiliation*...." and I always answer "stop watching Deliverance and Dukes of Hazard's reruns". People shape there opinions of the outside world based on media, which specializes in hyperbole and stereotypes, much of it outdated. But you have been to Alabama, I assume no one asked you to squeal like a pig. To answer your question - of course not, you won't have any problems. I assume your lynching concerns are just a joke in bad taste.

Anyways Deliverance was set in Georgia.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Ahmaud Arbery was lynched, this still sometimes happens to minorities. I was not joking, I think it's a valid concern; albeit rare.

In Alabama I met a lot of friendly people, but there were also people still bearing a grudge about the civil war and still some lingering racism. But there's still racism in California too, and all over. Perhaps this is just human nature, to give preferential treatment to the in group. It makes sense evolutionarily, as explained in The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I would hope though over time these biological differences can be overcome, or overlooked, and the mind more valued than the vessel or medium which hosts it. The history of eastern Tennessee is reassuring though, since it was largely loyal to the Union. Hopefully this history encourages the ideals of respecting human rights for all (though the Union had its issues as well, which is a rabbit hole I'll avoid for now).

People in Alabama were also, in my opinion, rudely inquisitive about my religious views (at least take me out to a steak dinner before popping these questions lol). Private personal matters such as these are rarely asked about in California, at least in my experience.

Everything is a compromise though, and I'd be willing to put up with the negatives that I experienced in Alabama for a cheap spacious house, and no income tax and low overall taxes. California is also not the paradise it is made out to be, thus I'm looking elsewhere. These responses so far are encouraging though, and I think this area may be a good fit.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:47 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
haha, go to any of the forums in the southern states and we will ALWAYS get posts like this "will I be safe there because I am *choose minority, religious, or political affiliation*...." and I always answer "stop watching Deliverance and Dukes of Hazard's reruns". People shape there opinions of the outside world based on media, which specializes in hyperbole and stereotypes, much of it outdated. But you have been to Alabama, I assume no one asked you to squeal like a pig. To answer your question - of course not, you won't have any problems. I assume your lynching concerns are just a joke in bad taste.

Anyways Deliverance was set in Georgia.
50 years ago.

Let that sink in.

50 years ago.

Those questions/concerns crack me up.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Ahmaud Arbery was lynched, this still sometimes happens to minorities.
I don't want this to be a racism discussion (the P&C forum is for that) but, dude, what the hell are you even talking about???? Arbery wasn't lynched man, and that wasn't in TN, but in south GA. Also his killers were convicted, by an almost all white jury I might add.

You are quickly losing any goodwill we are giving you in this forum when you post nonsense like this.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
50 years ago.

Let that sink in.

50 years ago.

Those questions/concerns crack me up.
I'm starting to think this poster is a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol