Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 08:35 PM

55 posts, read 96,225 times

Advertisements

We live in Arizona, spent half my life in South Alabama.
We are thinking of moving to Tenn or North Carolina.

In our searches, The Cliffs at Boone Lake/Piney Flats came up.

Is this a good area to live.

Is it humid/bugs like Nashville or more like Gatlinburg ?

How much snow ?

How often tornados ?

I really miss the south and wife does not want Alabama and Hurricanes again. LOL

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Piney Flats itself is fairly small, but they do have a grocery store and other necessary stuff and they are just minutes down the road from Johnson City. That particular location looks to be a bit further out though.

Tornados aren't much worry, I don't remember the last time we had an actual warning in this area.

Weatherwise more like Gatlinburg, elevation is 1,565 which is pretty close to what I'm at down the road in Bristol. Some muggy humidity in July/August, mostly in the afternoons, mornings are usually still bearable. I spent years along the Gulf Coast, including Mobile, it is much more bearable here in summer.

Winter can sometimes see some fairly low temps, occasionally in single digits. I do own a decent coat, hat and gloves, a snowbrush and lock de icer for the car. I do not own a snow shovel or snow blower as we rarely get enough snow to bother with either, snow can be waited out for the most part. It melts within hours, every once in a blue moon it might stick around for a few days where it's in the shade or pushed into a pile. It's rarely more than an inch or two and even that is rare, usually it's just a dusting. https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...ical-snow.html

bugs- box elders, stink bugs, japanese ladybugs are the nuisances, skeeters if you are near standing water, and spiders seem to like my basement, maybe ticks and chiggers if you are in woods or fields

Last edited by DubbleT; 12-10-2021 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-11-2021, 11:58 AM

TY for much for your informative reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Piney Flats itself is fairly small, but they do have a grocery store and other necessary stuff and they are just minutes down the road from Johnson City. That particular location looks to be a bit further out though.

Tornados aren't much worry, I don't remember the last time we had an actual warning in this area.

Weatherwise more like Gatlinburg, elevation is 1,565 which is pretty close to what I'm at down the road in Bristol. Some muggy humidity in July/August, mostly in the afternoons, mornings are usually still bearable. I spent years along the Gulf Coast, including Mobile, it is much more bearable here in summer.

Winter can sometimes see some fairly low temps, occasionally in single digits. I do own a decent coat, hat and gloves, a snowbrush and lock de icer for the car. I do not own a snow shovel or snow blower as we rarely get enough snow to bother with either, snow can be waited out for the most part. It melts within hours, every once in a blue moon it might stick around for a few days where it's in the shade or pushed into a pile. It's rarely more than an inch or two and even that is rare, usually it's just a dusting. https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...ical-snow.html

bugs- box elders, stink bugs, japanese ladybugs are the nuisances, skeeters if you are near standing water, and spiders seem to like my basement, maybe ticks and chiggers if you are in woods or fields

Old 12-13-2021, 05:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Cliffs at Boone Lake...a sort of cheaper amalgamation of mostly two-story homes packed in. Everyone looks the same. Not sure about lake access at that location, but it is more likely to be as the name suggests: cliffs down to the water; i.e., no access and certainly no beach. Not sure about the view of the water, if any. You can do much better in the area. Come visit, get in touch with a realtor and spend a day. They will give you the full tour. Way more realtors right now than there are properties for sale, so they are all hungry. Accordingly, prices are up....a lot.

Bugs are 'meh'. Usual assortment, but nothing much to worry about.

Tornadoes get broken up by mountains to the north and south.

Snow...a few inches each year. Maybe 6-8" inches once in a while. It is usually gone in a few days at most. Everything shuts down as soon as people see a snow flake. Fun to watch. Nothing to worry about.

Due to elevation, humidity is not much of a problem. A little sticky some days in late summer, but mostly it is not an issue. If you go closer to the coast, or on the south side of the mountains, it is swamp-like humidity and you won't like it much if steamy is not your thing.

Are around Johnson City, the "anchor" town, is delightful. Boone Lake is by far the largest outdoor attraction with plenty of good fishing and wonderful water sports. The mountains are at your doorstep and have endless hiking and camping opportunities. People are very friendly, and if you avoid politics and religion, you will get along with just about everyone. Highway access is great; airport is a "no wait" delight; restaurants are lousy in a word; and grocery stores are weak. Rest of it cannot be matched much of any place in the states.

Again, you must come and spend some time learning, experiencing and discovering. Fine place to live.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:00 AM

TY gor all the info.
So in your opinion, what the best towns around the lake to live in ?

The houses we were looking at in The Cliffs are priced $300k to $450k.
Is there mich in the towns atound the lake in that price range ?

Thanks for your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Cliffs at Boone Lake...a sort of cheaper amalgamation of mostly two-story homes packed in. Everyone looks the same. Not sure about lake access at that location, but it is more likely to be as the name suggests: cliffs down to the water; i.e., no access and certainly no beach. Not sure about the view of the water, if any. You can do much better in the area. Come visit, get in touch with a realtor and spend a day. They will give you the full tour. Way more realtors right now than there are properties for sale, so they are all hungry. Accordingly, prices are up....a lot.

Bugs are 'meh'. Usual assortment, but nothing much to worry about.

Tornadoes get broken up by mountains to the north and south.

Snow...a few inches each year. Maybe 6-8" inches once in a while. It is usually gone in a few days at most. Everything shuts down as soon as people see a snow flake. Fun to watch. Nothing to worry about.

Due to elevation, humidity is not much of a problem. A little sticky some days in late summer, but mostly it is not an issue. If you go closer to the coast, or on the south side of the mountains, it is swamp-like humidity and you won't like it much if steamy is not your thing.

Are around Johnson City, the "anchor" town, is delightful. Boone Lake is by far the largest outdoor attraction with plenty of good fishing and wonderful water sports. The mountains are at your doorstep and have endless hiking and camping opportunities. People are very friendly, and if you avoid politics and religion, you will get along with just about everyone. Highway access is great; airport is a "no wait" delight; restaurants are lousy in a word; and grocery stores are weak. Rest of it cannot be matched much of any place in the states.

Again, you must come and spend some time learning, experiencing and discovering. Fine place to live.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:04 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthehunt49 View Post
TY for all the info.
So in your opinion, what the best towns around the lake to live in ?

The houses we were looking at in The Cliffs are priced $300k to $450k.
Is there much in the towns around the lake in that price range ?

Thanks for your time
You have given us some macro things which you want/don't want. There are plenty of homes in your price range. It depends on what you are looking for.

Urban/rural. Space/1/2 acre lot/townhouse. Schools? Near highways/dirt roads. Taxes. Close to stores/couldn't care less about driving 15-20 minutes to buy groceries. In the mountains/viewing the mountains. On the lake/viewing the lake/not close to water.

Come to town and waste a day of a realtor's time. Truely, they will spend as much time with you as you wish, and can show you a few things to narrow the search from communities to neighborhoods to specific houses. Really, we have some of it all. It's a BIG area with lots to offer. You have to see it to figure out what you are looking for. Come visit. If you wish to blow your mind, wait 'til spring in March and the flowering everything is just gorgeous.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:05 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
One thing to keep note of is that Boone Lake's dam began to have subsidence issues in 2014. Water in the lake was lowered to an exceptionally low level for years, and the lake was filled back to full pool this summer.

While lake recreation should be back to what it was, there may be some issues, like with docks no longer in the correct positions, etc., that you might want to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol