Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 05:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,090 times

Advertisements

Non-white woman escaping from New York has an interest in relocating to the Tri-Cities area of TN. Nature loving, academic, possibly returning to school to complete Master's degree in Knoxville. Enjoys the outdoors, and wants to fit in to a welcoming location that appreciates diversity and respect for others. Non-political but keeps up with the times. Loves dining out once in a while but loves my space and distance. Would like to own some property with at least .5 acres on a $250K RE budget, with neighbors no too close. Has a young adult daughter who may be tagging along who works in healthcare. Been to Kingsport, Church Hill, and Bristol, TN, but open to other areas like Gray and outside Johnson City. I know the RE market is horrendous right now, but hoping to find a great forever home in the coming months. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 08:23 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Come to Johnson City. Sit with a realtor and explain your wishes. They will give you a full day tour of the area and you can see for yourself what fits, and what is not of interest. Plenty of realtors sitting around these days with way more realtors than properties for sale.

It's a big area with a LOT to offer. You have to be here to see, touch, feel and make decisions with facts in hand.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:10 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,339,345 times
If you want to view the property, make sure you are already preapproved with proof in hand. I called about a property in JC today - without this proof of financing ability, the realtor basically laughed at me.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:59 PM

Many thanks! Been preapproved and have a realtor based out of Bristol TN. Will visit JC soon... can anyone recommend the best hotel/location to stay at in JC?

Old 12-18-2021, 05:21 AM

9 posts, read 10,162 times
The Carnegie Hotel is nice. It's right next to ETSU and fairly close to downtown. Has a good restaurant/bar

Old 12-19-2021, 11:50 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I'd also recommend The Carnegie. Wellington's is a good restaurant.

More information would be helpful. $250k with .5 acres is probably going to get you an older (1970s/1980s build) split foyer or ranch. There will likely be some updates, but it will not be a "Chip and Jo" property. Given today's market, you're unlikely to find that in the Johnson City city limits, and you also won't find it around Jonesborough. It might be possible in Gray, Piney Flats, or unincorporated areas of Washington County.

Washington County is where the transplants are going. Washington County is the sort-of center of economic development in this area, the HQ of the regional healthcare system, where ETSU is, where the VA is, etc., so it attracts a more diverse crowd than Bristol or Kingsport.

Johnson City also has the premiere dining, retail, nightlife, etc., in this area, along with the best proximity to mountain recreation in Carter/Unicoi counties, as well as western North Carolina and Asheville.

Bristol is fine. It's gotten a lot of positive momentum over the past five years or so - with that said, it's a bit poorer than JC, fewer amenities, but property prices and taxes are lower.

As a single, non-white person, I don't think you'd be harassed or anything, but outside of Johnson City, the ability to meet more than white locals is just pretty slim.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:26 AM

Thank you all so very much for your input. I still have to go back and visit some more. I hear there is a lot of crime in JC, so not sure if I'm convinced that's where I want to be, but I'm willing to visit to help make up my mind. Will also give my attention to Washington County. Hearing Piney Flats and Gray may have something to offer. The search has been tedious, but I'm sure I'll find something. I don't mind a fixer-upper, as long as I can find reasonable, quality contractors to help me get things done. Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2021, 06:38 AM

7,386 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaGee View Post
Thank you all so very much for your input. I still have to go back and visit some more. I hear there is a lot of crime in JC, so not sure if I'm convinced that's where I want to be, but I'm willing to visit to help make up my mind. Will also give my attention to Washington County. Hearing Piney Flats and Gray may have something to offer. The search has been tedious, but I'm sure I'll find something. I don't mind a fixer-upper, as long as I can find reasonable, quality contractors to help me get things done. Thanks again!
johnson city is huge and there are different sections that have little crime so it depends where within JC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol