Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 572 times

Advertisements

Retired to Greene Co, (Afton) just east of Greeneville, almost 4 years ago. Love access to outdoors: 25 min to Davy Crockett Lake boat ramp ( I kayak); same to hiking at Horse Creek , Margarette Falls, Round Knob, Old Forge CG, etc. Mountain biking forest service roads at Paint Creek to firetower overlooking NC. Cherokee and Douglas Lakes under an hour. Viking mountain county highpoint around 4840 feet, draws 4WD vehicle hardcores in winter, as does Horse Creek Jeep Road. App Trail accessed at both these points and 25/70 south of town and at Hurricane Gap Rd near Paint Creek CG. Never had any trouble road biking around town excepting a few folks that need their horns rammed up their... Old Oak Taproom for food, trivia, tacos, and 16 rotating taps with alfresco experience. Great Mexican food everywhere, and a wonderful discount grocery store called UGO: my wife and I spend 90% of our food budget between them and Aldis!! Why pay more?? TRI and TYS airports 50 and 85 minutes away. Hot Springs NC and Bristol both 55 min drive. Pizza in town( County Line Pie) and Jonesborough (Pizza Parlor). PM me for more details ( this is my 1st post, I haven't used that function but I'll try to find it lol. teesta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 05:20 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teesta View Post
Retired to Greene Co, (Afton) just east of Greeneville, almost 4 years ago. Love access to outdoors: 25 min to Davy Crockett Lake boat ramp ( I kayak); same to hiking at Horse Creek , Margarette Falls, Round Knob, Old Forge CG, etc. Mountain biking forest service roads at Paint Creek to firetower overlooking NC. Cherokee and Douglas Lakes under an hour. Viking mountain county highpoint around 4840 feet, draws 4WD vehicle hardcores in winter, as does Horse Creek Jeep Road. App Trail accessed at both these points and 25/70 south of town and at Hurricane Gap Rd near Paint Creek CG. Never had any trouble road biking around town excepting a few folks that need their horns rammed up their... Old Oak Taproom for food, trivia, tacos, and 16 rotating taps with alfresco experience. Great Mexican food everywhere, and a wonderful discount grocery store called UGO: my wife and I spend 90% of our food budget between them and Aldis!! Why pay more?? TRI and TYS airports 50 and 85 minutes away. Hot Springs NC and Bristol both 55 min drive. Pizza in town( County Line Pie) and Jonesborough (Pizza Parlor). PM me for more details ( this is my 1st post, I haven't used that function but I'll try to find it lol. teesta
This is a great first post!

Old 03-31-2022, 06:05 PM

16 posts, read 12,680 times
Not trying to hijack the thread but I figured I'd just post a couple questions .
I'm currently looking at some properties around the Greeneville area and wanted to know what wages are like ? My girlfriend is in retail and I'm a self employed carpenter with 40 years in business . So what would wages be in the retail jobs ? And what would I be able to charge hourly to do jobs ? And is there a lot of work ? I'll probably have more questions.
Thanks

Old 04-01-2022, 07:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
On the retail jobs, I'm in Bristol/JC and I imagine wages are about the same. Many places are starting off at about $10, up to around $12-13 with more experience or responsibility. However my daughter recently had a conversation with a friend who manages a dollar store, they are still only offering just above minimum wage, or around $8 to start.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the response DubbleT . Any idea on what contractors are charging an hour for home repairs ? And is there a lot of work in the area ?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Rocky View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but I figured I'd just post a couple questions .
I'm currently looking at some properties around the Greeneville area and wanted to know what wages are like ? My girlfriend is in retail and I'm a self employed carpenter with 40 years in business . So what would wages be in the retail jobs ? And what would I be able to charge hourly to do jobs ? And is there a lot of work ? I'll probably have more questions.
Thanks
Tri-Cities is has long been a low wage area and now has high home prices. Homes used to be a value, but since COVID prices have shot up. 50% of buyers coming in from out of state. Its making it difficult for locals and people who work with their hands.

There are plenty of people moving to the area who pay for everything from cleaning to carpentry.

I value skilled labor. However, the overall market and competition keeps labor on the low side.

We have custom built-ins in our home and the labor charge was $15/hr.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:49 AM

Wow !!! Here in Pa. I charge $35 per hours and in the surrounding area that's low . Now if I were to go work for a company up here I would be around $12 to $15 per hour. I do have to say that work around here is bad because it's a depressed area and there are a lot of small carpentry companies around here so there's a lot of competition.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Rocky View Post
Wow !!! Here in Pa. I charge $35 per hours and in the surrounding area that's low . Now if I were to go work for a company up here I would be around $12 to $15 per hour. I do have to say that work around here is bad because it's a depressed area and there are a lot of small carpentry companies around here so there's a lot of competition.
I don't doubt it. One of the reasons retirees love this area is because of the lower cost of living.

Good luck in your move!

Old 04-03-2022, 05:36 AM

Okay , so is there any areas in Tn without living in the city that the wages are higher ? I'd like to be mid state east if possible , north or south doesn't really matter. I don't want to move to far west because I really don't want to be picked up by a tornado I guess that's just the way I am , but I did notice that housing is cheaper in that direction but I don't know how work is ?

Old 04-03-2022, 07:25 AM

I really don't know enough about the trade to provide an answer. Unless you're lucky enough that someone here is a contractor or knows carpentry in the area, I think you'll need to do your own research and call around. Maybe you can call some (custom) home builders and see what they tell you. You'll need to develop a niche and client base. Your most likely customers are going to be "rich folk" who live on golf courses or in the rich enclaves of the larger cities. Many rural counties are scraping by with a lot of do it yourselves and antiques are popular.

In your larger cities and suburbs new "tract homes" are built by "foreign work crews" who are hired by the job and when you have a warranty issue it's almost handled by a local employee of the company. Homes tend to be furnished by big box stores like Rooms to Go, Ashley Furniture, Target or Wal Mart. We do have nicer furniture stores for those who want better quality.

The Greater Nashville area has the highest rate of tornados in the state, but also has the highest number of high income households who may be interested in your services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol