Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 08:08 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Rocky View Post
Okay , so is there any areas in Tn without living in the city that the wages are higher ? I'd like to be mid state east if possible , north or south doesn't really matter. I don't want to move to far west because I really don't want to be picked up by a tornado I guess that's just the way I am , but I did notice that housing is cheaper in that direction but I don't know how work is ?
Generally a lower COL goes hand in hand with lower wages, regardless of location.
You don't have to live in the city to work there. I have an ex who made a comfortable living painting houses, he lived an hour outside of Memphis, where most of his work was. Here in east TN you don't even need to be that far out of the city to get more of a rural lifestyle. In Knoxville and here in the tri-cities area you can get that sort of feeling and still be within 30 minutes or less of the cities themselves.
IMO the hardest thing you would face here would be establishing a reputation. When I ask friends and co-workers for recommendations for tradespeople the answers are almost invariably the names of relatives and friends. I find it difficult to get recommendations based solely on quality of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 12,722 times
Thanks for the info . I'll just have to try and check around.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:01 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Okay , so is there any areas in Tn without living in the city that the wages are higher ? I'd like to be mid state east if possible , north or south doesn't really matter. I don't want to move to far west because I really don't want to be picked up by a tornado I guess that's just the way I am , but I did notice that housing is cheaper in that direction but I don't know how work is ?
West Tennessee also has tornado issues. Yes, it's cheaper than middle TN and most of east TN, but wages are also low, and it's flat without a lot going on IMO. While wages have gone up some here, it's still a relatively low wage area, and housing costs are through the roof.

It's really up to you. I bought my house in 2019. My place has rocketed up at least 50% in value since then - similar places to mine in Gray and Johnson City have gone up between 75%-100%. This area just is not the value it as even a couple years ago.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:58 PM

Yeah housing is through the roof . I had a house under contract last year down in Sweetwater and thought I had it for a reasonable price but the realtor screwed us over and sold it for more money. But now I've been wandering if it was a blessing that we didn't get the house . Maybe I should start looking somewhere else where wages may be higher , I'm not looking to get rich but I don't want to starve either but I really want to get out of Pa.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:18 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
East TN has extremely low wages. The cost of living is relatively low, but not that low. IMO, East TN is only really doable if you work in the family business; have a small business with a stellar reputation; professional business with great reputation for many years (accountant, dentist, etc.); factory or government job, or you are retired. Outside of that, I just can't imagine making it there with the wages to cost of living, unless you have absolutely no debt (no car note, mortgage, etc.). Even then, you will never save up enough money for retirement.

I would stick with PA at $35/hour. You will never get that in East TN, at least working for someone else. I can't speak to what you could charge if working for yourself, but I highly doubt that much. Even in the larger cities of Chattanooga and Knoxville, I can't imagine you would get $35/hour. I'm certainly not a wage expert in carpentry, but just giving you my opinion based on growing up there and having friends that live and work throughout East TN.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:44 PM

I was worried about moving because no one down there knows who I am or what quality of work I do so I figured it would take some time to get known , but there is no way that I would work that cheap . I don't know what wages are like in Kentucky but I may check the situation out there . Thanks for the info .

Old 04-06-2022, 08:00 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
I was worried about moving because no one down there knows who I am or what quality of work I do so I figured it would take some time to get known , but there is no way that I would work that cheap . I don't know what wages are like in Kentucky but I may check the situation out there . Thanks for the info .
At least eastern KY is the same situation, probably worse as there is basically no growth and it's even poorer than east TN.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:26 AM

643 posts, read 2,385,577 times
I would expect wages in Kentucky to be lower than Tennessee, or at least no better. I think you'd have to look at the larger metro areas of Louisville and Lexington for any kind of wage bump. It occurred to me that your best bet may be to focus on providing custom services in and around Asheville, NC. It would probably be easier to get established there. I have known contractors that lived in TN and did a fair amount of work in Asheville.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the info , I'll have to look into that . If I move I thought about doing what I've been doing here which is home repairs / maintenance . I like to work alone so I don't have to put up with no show workers or them playing with their phones all day , but I don't know how much call there is for that type of work or what kind of money I could charge ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol