Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2022, 03:51 PM
 
Location: CA
430 posts, read 283,859 times
Reputation: 1053

Advertisements

I have visited most of E. TN, hoping to make a move there around this summer. One place I did not visit was Greeneville. I would appreciate honest info/opinion about living there as an active senior. For reference, my top choices in order so far are:

1) Jonesborough

2) Johnson City

3) Bristol

Loved Mountain City, Unicoi and a few other areas like that, but they are just a little too rural for me.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2022, 08:22 PM
 
Location: TN/NC
35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Reputation: 47539
I've been there a lot on business over the last few years, but never lived there.

There has been a ton of retail and restaurant growth along the Andrew Johnson Parkway over the past five years or so. Greenville has the typical big box stores - Lowe's, Walmart, Publix/Food City/Aldi/Ingle's for groceries (this is actually much better grocery coverage than anywhere in the region other than JC). There are limited shopping options for clothes and shoes - things of that nature - you're either driving to the malls in Johnson City or Morristown for. There are some local diners that are good, good BBQ, and a few better places like Aubrey's - otherwise, not much for dining - again, back to Johnson City for a nicer night out.

Greeneville has seen two hospitals consolidate to one, and the one they have left is a community hospital where anything semi-serious is bounced to Johnson City - 45 minutes up the road.

Greeneville has some great mountain views and fertile farmland outside the city along the Nolichucky River.

It's a nice small city, but it is remote, and there aren't many newcomers, so social circles can tend to be closed. It can be fine depending on what you are looking for, but it's just too remote for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2022, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Vermont
9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Reputation: 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've been there a lot on business over the last few years, but never lived there.

There has been a ton of retail and restaurant growth along the Andrew Johnson Parkway over the past five years or so. Greenville has the typical big box stores - Lowe's, Walmart, Publix/Food City/Aldi/Ingle's for groceries (this is actually much better grocery coverage than anywhere in the region other than JC). There are limited shopping options for clothes and shoes - things of that nature - you're either driving to the malls in Johnson City or Morristown for. There are some local diners that are good, good BBQ, and a few better places like Aubrey's - otherwise, not much for dining - again, back to Johnson City for a nicer night out.

Greeneville has seen two hospitals consolidate to one, and the one they have left is a community hospital where anything semi-serious is bounced to Johnson City - 45 minutes up the road.

Greeneville has some great mountain views and fertile farmland outside the city along the Nolichucky River.

It's a nice small city, but it is remote, and there aren't many newcomers, so social circles can tend to be closed. It can be fine depending on what you are looking for, but it's just too remote for my tastes.
Sounds perfect to me

If I recall, Aubrey's (when we were there) was a newly renovated big space, industrial feel with old brick walls and they'd kept some old hex tile in the doorway before you entered that had the date of the original building, if I'm not mistaken.

I took a walk to get exercise one evening and actually had a lovely chat with a 'complete stranger.'

To our way of thinking, if there's a halfway decent hospital nearby, a gas station, a hardware store, a decent grocery store, and a restaurant or two, we are good to go Outdoor recreational opportunities, especially fairly easy access to water, are a high priority for us. We also really like things like the storytelling center and local music where people from town gather to listen. We can travel a bit for fancier stuff.
We're gonna come visit in July when it's hot as hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2022, 08:04 PM
 
Location: TN/NC
35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Reputation: 47539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Sounds perfect to me

If I recall, Aubrey's (when we were there) was a newly renovated big space, industrial feel with old brick walls and they'd kept some old hex tile in the doorway before you entered that had the date of the original building, if I'm not mistaken.

I took a walk to get exercise one evening and actually had a lovely chat with a 'complete stranger.'

To our way of thinking, if there's a halfway decent hospital nearby, a gas station, a hardware store, a decent grocery store, and a restaurant or two, we are good to go Outdoor recreational opportunities, especially fairly easy access to water, are a high priority for us. We also really like things like the storytelling center and local music where people from town gather to listen. We can travel a bit for fancier stuff.
We're gonna come visit in July when it's hot as hell
Aubrey's is better than most non-chain restaurants in JC.

Greeneville now has one community hospital that bounces anything semi-serious to JCMC. Anything truly sophisticated goes to Knoxville or further afield.

Visit, but I think you're going to get a rude awakening with how bad and how few basic amenities are relative to where you came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2022, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Vermont
9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Reputation: 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Aubrey's is better than most non-chain restaurants in JC.

Greeneville now has one community hospital that bounces anything semi-serious to JCMC. Anything truly sophisticated goes to Knoxville or further afield.

Visit, but I think you're going to get a rude awakening with how bad and how few basic amenities are relative to where you came from.
Well, I live in VT and I moved HERE from CA.
I think the OP, from CA, will definitely have a bumpy adjustment. Gotta visit first!!!

I love rural...so I'm a bit easier to please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2022, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Memphis
506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Reputation: 447
I grew up in Greeneville and miss it dearly. PM me with any more specific questions.

The mountain views and outdoor opportunities are unbeatable. Plenty of camping, fly-fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and other outdoor recreation activities in the mountains, as well as canoeing, kayaking, etc. in the nearby rivers and lakes. The Appalachian Trail runs through the county.

Greeneville is certainly not on the level of remoteness and dullness of somewhere like Unicoi or Mountain City. It is "remote," in that it is about a 20 minute drive to the interstate, but it is still pretty close to bigger cities if you want more urban things to do. Johnson City is around 30 minutes away; Knoxville and Asheville are around an hour (Asheville is only around 46 miles, but the majority of it is a crooked, 2-lane road through the mountains). Atlanta, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Greenville, SC, Nashville, and others are close enough for a weekend trip.

As mentioned above, the only real concern I would have as a senior would be the healthcare. It is not good in Greeneville, but not many small rural towns are. Also mentioned, the social circles are already pretty well-defined by the locals who have known each other for many years. Somewhere like Jonesborough or Johnson City will have more transplants than natives who are more open to making friendships with outsiders. If you do not care about a big social group and want a beautiful place to explore the mountains, Greeneville is great.

People are not unfriendly but it is Southern Appalachian culture. It is not the Deep South, where people are making casseroles for their neighbors. They are a bit skeptical of outsiders, but it is also not as closed off as somewhere like Newport, either. It can be a little bit of a culture shock depending on where you are coming from, but is also not unlivable. Coming from California, the mountain accents are going to baffle you at first. There is a drug problem just like all of Southern Appalachia: mostly pills and meth. That is just part of it. And the more rural, the worse it is.

Grocery stores (already mentioned) are great in Greeneville for its size. Aldi, Food City (2), Ingles (2), Publix, Wal-Mart, and several discount stores. Restaurant-wise, it is mostly fast food, but there are also several local spots that are excellent. Again, for a town of 15,000 or so, it punches above its weight IMO.

If you are not into the outdoors, there is still a decent amount to do. Again, relative to its size, and having personally lived in other small rural towns in the South, Greeneville has a good amount to do. Nice, pretty new movie theatre; Capitol Theatre with plays and concerts; plays at Tusculum College; live music at NPAC; and Old Oak Taproom for craft beers and bar food. There is a beer garden opening on Depot St. in the near future from what I understand, but night life is certainly not Greeneville's strongpoint. You will probably find grilling out at a campsite in the mountains much more enjoyable than night life there.

Housing market wise, I am not that familiar with it, but from what I understand, it is kind of like anywhere else at the moment: not much supply and a lot of demand. The houses are older. A lot of split level houses built in the '70s and '80s. Ranch style houses prior to that time period. Most of the new development (including commercial/retail) is on 11-E by Tusculum, TN going towards Johnson City. (Tusculum is basically part of Greeneville with a college).

Shopping, as SC already pointed out, is pretty non-existent in Greeneville. It has all of your essentials, but outside of that, you will need to order online or go to Johnson City, Knoxville or Asheville. There has been a new trend with some boutiques opening, but it is certainly not a game-changer. It has a couple of good local coffee shops. I think there is a Starbucks at the Ingles on 11-E near Tusculum. The beer selection, if you are a craft beer drinker, is really solid for a town of its size, due to its proximity to Western NC. I know I have mentioned Greeneville's size repeatedly, but that is important to keep in mind. Some residents are never satisfied for its lack of "things to do" (that are not outdoors-related), but for a small town it really has a lot to offer.

If you cannot entertain yourself, you will not like Greeneville. If you want a new circle of friends that gather often, you will not like Greeneville. I see a lot of people moving to East TN because it is a heavily red area and they think they will all get together with like-minded people--this will not matter and it is mostly closed off to outsiders. Do not move to Greeneville or East TN for political purposes. On the other hand, if you enjoy the Appalachian Mountains and all they offer, Greeneville can be a wonderful place.

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 02-18-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2022, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Memphis
506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Reputation: 447
One more follow-up on the shopping. It is still non-existent for anything higher-end, but there have been some additions in the past couple of years: Hobby Lobby, Marshall's and one other big box chain I am forgetting that is in the Commons with those. Like SC mentioned, there is a Lowe's for home improvement and Wal-Mart for everything else. Big Lots for discount food and furniture. Staples/Office Depot was open last time I was there, but not sure now.

If you are used to suburb living with lots of amenities then like SC said, you are in for a rude awakening. Even Johnson City will not have all of that. There is no Costco truly nearby, no Trader Joe's, etc. There may be one sushi place now and Publix may also have it--that's it. It really depends on where you are coming from. If you are living in the more rural parts of CA, it probably will not be a big deal. If you are coming from Orange County, CA, it is going to be a huge change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Missouri Ozarks
7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Reputation: 4081
Thank you AppalachianAngler and SeriousConversation for your posts. I too, am looking into moving back to Tn. in the future. I used to live in Knoxville and Maryville.
i am now looking at Morristown or Cleveland and I was thinking about Greeneville too. I haven't lived in Tn. for almost 20 years now.
Part of me wants more rural but I also like living close to grocery stores, hospitals, etc. I can now see that Greeneville might be just a little too rural.
I did like Maryville but I wanted to try somewhere different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2022, 06:06 AM
 
14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Reputation: 26523
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Thank you AppalachianAngler and SeriousConversation for your posts. I too, am looking into moving back to Tn. in the future. I used to live in Knoxville and Maryville.
i am now looking at Morristown or Cleveland and I was thinking about Greeneville too. I haven't lived in Tn. for almost 20 years now.
Part of me wants more rural but I also like living close to grocery stores, hospitals, etc. I can now see that Greeneville might be just a little too rural.
I did like Maryville but I wanted to try somewhere different.
I think you got the wrong impression. I don't see Greeneville rural at all. There are grocery stores, too many to count, and hospitals. And traffic in town on 11E can be super busy. There are parks, resteraunts, community clubs, shopping (but no high end malls), schools, churches, housing communities ranging from affluent to modest.
The difference is this is not a suburb/bedroom community to a bigger city, but stands on it's own.
If you want rural, there are plenty of places in N.E. TN, but Greeneville ain't it.

I live rural, driving to Greeneville 20 miles away for me is going into the city. But I don't need Costco, Trader Joe's, or Sushi, and I avoid malls like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2022, 07:30 AM
 
Location: TN/NC
35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Reputation: 47539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think you got the wrong impression. I don't see Greeneville rural at all. There are grocery stores, too many to count, and hospitals. And traffic in town on 11E can be super busy. There are parks, resteraunts, community clubs, shopping (but no high end malls), schools, churches, housing communities ranging from affluent to modest.
The difference is this is not a suburb/bedroom community to a bigger city, but stands on it's own.
If you want rural, there are plenty of places in N.E. TN, but Greeneville ain't it.

I live rural, driving to Greeneville 20 miles away for me is going into the city. But I don't need Costco, Trader Joe's, or Sushi, and I avoid malls like the plague.
This is just going to depend on your perspective.

I’m originally from here, but I spent about five years living in affluent suburbs of two different Midwestern metros where I had the Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, top malls, etc., all within an easy ten to fifteen minute drive. You have to go to Knoxville for most of that. Johnson City is getting more options, but some will find it enough, others won’t.

Greeneville has a single hospital now. That hospital sends anything semi-serious to Johnson City. Again, it depends on how your medical conditions and how close you feel you need to be to a larger hospital.

The big thing about this area, and Greeneville more so, is not necessarily the things we don’t have, but how far we are from them. Any kind of “upper middle class” shopping is a drive to Asheville or Knoxville. Knoxville has more. The hospitals throughout the region are not great - I can probably name a dozen cases personally within the last five years or so of people I know who have been sent to Knoxville, or even further afield, for medical treatment. We’re three or four hours away from a major airport.

It’s not like being an hour outside Nashville where I can go to Costco after work if I need to, or have reasonable access to a specialist at Vanderbilt. Anything that this area doesn’t have is at least a couple hour drive to somewhere else. Like I said, that’s not a problem for some, but for others, it’s a major aggravation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top