Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:41 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeItself View Post
This is all really good info, thanks.

1) Re: thieves, we have "ADP" home security... A.mendment D.eux, P.artner. Since the thieves also know this, it wasn't a problem for my wife when she lived in a similar setup in WV.

2) Trash pickup is nonexistent where we live now. I have a pickup truck, so it's not too big of a deal.

3) We may need to look into satellite phone service in case of emergency, but ready internet access is not essential.

Max budget is $400k
At $400k, you're likely priced out of larger properties in Washington and maybe Sullivan County.

Like others said, I'd look into southwest Virginia. Yes, there is a state income tax, but property prices tend to be quite a bit lower. Northeast TN has become "discovered" in a way southwest VA has not.

I would stick along the I-81 corridor, perhaps from Abingdon, even up to the Wytheville/Fort Chiswell/Max Meadows areas. East of the interstate, at least up to Marion or so where I'm more familiar with, is often in better "shape" than too far west of the interstate. Too far west gets into "coal country" - more rugged terrain, more depressed towns, etc.

I don't think buying land and building will work at $400k with acreage - site construction and materials costs alone will eat you up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,801 times
To get even more specific, privacy is essential but major acreage is not. I know the two usually go hand in hand, but as long as there is a visual shield and some distance from any busy roads, we'd be satisfied.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
ADP doesn't help if you are out to supper or on a vacation or visiting family back home.

In the country it's not uncommon for folks to have a 'trash truck' that is regularly only used to go to the convenience center/ drop off and back home.

It is going to be much easier to find what you are looking for in Virginia.

What do you think of this one?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ixed_view_card
Exactly the kind of thing we're looking for, except I have a visceral aversion to Abingdon.

I know it may seem counterintuitive to prefer the middle of nowhere + 30 min from Bristol over near Abingdon and also 30 min from Bristol, but you live too close to that town and the next thing you know your teenage kids are lecturing you about intersectional gender theory from behind mold-green asymmetrical bangs.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:51 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeItself View Post
Exactly the kind of thing we're looking for, except I have a visceral aversion to Abingdon.

I know it may seem counterintuitive to prefer the middle of nowhere + 30 min from Bristol over near Abingdon and also 30 min from Bristol, but you live too close to that town and the next thing you know your teenage kids are lecturing you about intersectional gender theory from behind mold-green asymmetrical bangs.
This is ridiculous.

All of southwest Virginia is extremely Republican. Look at 2016 and 2020 Presidential election returns. VA voted for Youngkin, overwhelmingly, in 2021. VA has gone from solid blue to purple leaning blue. It may shift further to the right. Further on that, Abingdon's claim to fame is having a lot of wealthy coal barons and the Food City HQ - those people in charge of those businesses are far from Democrats.

You're not going to get "liberal creep" thirty minutes from Abingdon. Thirty minutes from Abingdon is basically sticks in any direction other than southbound. The entire area, within an hour all around, is pretty traditional.

Most people in this area, regardless of political beliefs, are pretty "live and let live." Abingdon is far from some liberal outpost.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:35 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is ridiculous.
Agree 100%

OP, if you have a problem with Southwest Virginia, then you may want to look into Eastern Kentucky where it's more conservative and your money will go farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol