Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are hoping to relocate to Bristol or thereabout within the next year, along with our 2 kids, 2 dogs, 16 cats, and 20 chickens.

The key word in what we're looking for is private, as in cattle gate at the end of a driveway from which you can't see the house, and invisible to neighbors due to 360 degrees of woods.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be easy to come by judging from Zillow, Realtor.com, etc. Or if it is, it's not being properly advertised. Expanding the allowable budget doesn't seem to yield more results in either, just more houses in "desirable" neighborhoods.

We do not desire to be in a neighborhood.

Experience with realtors has been horrid. They just read Zillow listings aloud to us over the phone, no one ever seems to have true local insight or information that can't be gleaned through casual internet browsing. Why do these people even have jobs anymore?

Maybe I just need to be patient with what becomes available, but are there particular nearby areas (on the TN or VA side, either way) that I should be keeping an eye on?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 08:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It’s unlikely you’re going to find something that private in the city limits. Even if you did, there may be limits on the number of animals allowed.

The only place I could think of with that much available land would be east of Old Jonesborough Road going toward South Holston Lake. Maybe. Otherwise, you’ll need to go farther into southwest VA.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:39 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Serious Conversation.

Being in city limits is not important, we have many roosters so I expect that restrictions would apply to us.

Wikipedia lists the Tri-Cities counties as such:

Tennessee:
Carter County
Greene County
Hancock County
Hawkins County
Johnson County
Sullivan County
Unicoi County
Washington County

Virginia:
Scott County
Washington County

Do any of those in particular stand out as fitting the bill? Anything <45 minutes to Bristol may go under consideration.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:21 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,818 times
Be aware that if the neighbors can't see you, then they can't see the thieves, and the thieves know that. A cattle gate is not going to keep them out if they want in.

Not sure how long you have been looking, or your budget, but I have seen multiple properties that would have fit what you are looking for in the past few months. There aren't many so you have to get the notifications and be patient.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:59 PM

143 posts, read 220,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeItself View Post

Virginia:
Scott County
Washington County

Do any of those in particular stand out as fitting the bill? Anything <45 minutes to Bristol may go under consideration.

Higher taxes in Virginia.

Have you checked landandfarm.com or landwatch.com?

Old 03-27-2022, 09:03 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback, Serious Conversation.

Being in city limits is not important, we have many roosters so I expect that restrictions would apply to us.

Wikipedia lists the Tri-Cities counties as such:

Tennessee:
Carter County
Greene County
Hancock County
Hawkins County
Johnson County
Sullivan County
Unicoi County
Washington County

Virginia:
Scott County
Washington County

Washington County, TN and Sullivan County are the most populous counties. While I know of some properties that are basically encircled by woods, these counties are basically suburban to semi-rural, but rural is still often a few acres of pastureland with sight of a neighbor's house.

Carter, Unicoi, and Johnson County are more mountainous/rugged, and you'd have a better shot of a rural property without being seen by others, or seeing anyone else. Johnson County really has more ties to the Boone, NC area than to the rest of the Tri-Cities. Carter and Unicoi counties really depend on Johnson City for more beyond the bare essentials.

Hancock and Scott counties are extremely rural, and hard to recommend for various reasons.

Hawkins and Greene are sort of in-between with a lot of rural areas, but have some small metro areas in them. In general, they aren't as mountainous or pretty as Unicoi/Carter counties.

Washington County, VA is basically urban to suburban for the first ten miles, then rapidly gets very rural aside from Abingdon.

What are you looking for in terms of amenities, and in terms of budget? It's very easy for people from outside the area to be interested in rural acreage - with that said, rural acreage where you can have that many animals often comes with many drawbacks - no broadband internet (satellite can be an expensive, poor option if the property has a line of sight), well water, usually no trash pickup (responsible for hauling it to a landfill/collection center on your own), poor cellular service (if available), bad medical care (rural hospitals are basically glorified urgent cares, and anything semi-serious gets bounced to Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol, which do not have great hospitals themselves...). Hancock and Johnson counties do not even have a Walmart.

For some people, these aren't big issues or could even be appealing, but it's important to understand that these rural areas don't have a fraction of the amenities that people from urban and suburban areas are used to.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:27 AM

This is all really good info, thanks.

1) Re: thieves, we have "ADP" home security... A.mendment D.eux, P.artner. Since the thieves also know this, it wasn't a problem for my wife when she lived in a similar setup in WV.

2) Trash pickup is nonexistent where we live now. I have a pickup truck, so it's not too big of a deal.

3) We may need to look into satellite phone service in case of emergency, but ready internet access is not essential.

Max budget is $400k

Old 03-28-2022, 08:21 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I'm on landandfarm.com and landwatch.com all the time, dreaming.
Properties are out there.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:32 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,818 times
Quote:
This is all really good info, thanks.

1) Re: thieves, we have "ADP" home security... A.mendment D.eux, P.artner. Since the thieves also know this, it wasn't a problem for my wife when she lived in a similar setup in WV.

2) Trash pickup is nonexistent where we live now. I have a pickup truck, so it's not too big of a deal.

3) We may need to look into satellite phone service in case of emergency, but ready internet access is not essential.

Max budget is $400k
ADP doesn't help if you are out to supper or on a vacation or visiting family back home.

In the country it's not uncommon for folks to have a 'trash truck' that is regularly only used to go to the convenience center/ drop off and back home.

It is going to be much easier to find what you are looking for in Virginia.

What do you think of this one?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ixed_view_card

Old 03-29-2022, 06:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Regarding trash and a few other points - where I live we don't have any county or city provided waste service but there are private companies that pick up your trash for like $25 a month....or like is stated you can haul and dump your own trash at county landfills.

Cell phone service is not really a problem except in the most isolated area, internet service may be a problem.

Virginia has a state income tax (but property is a bit cheaper). If you have a high income you may want to avoid. TN is also a bit more retiree friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol