Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 05:42 AM

11 posts, read 13,917 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My family and I are planning to relocate to Bristol this summer (from MD). We love the area. However, I'm questioning if we should avoid it because of the Bristol, VA landfill issue.

We plan on living on the western Tennessee side, near Holston Hills neighborhood. But of course, shopping, church etc. is located closer to the landfill.

I've read a lot of the articles and reports online. But I'm hoping some locals can provide some honest insight into the Bristol, VA landfill problem.

How bad is the odor? How often can you smell it? Can you smell it from the Holston Hills area? Is it possible this could lead to deterioration of the town? Are a lot of people leaving because of it? We want to raise our family there and don't want to go somewhere everyone moves away from and just disintegrates.

Any local info you can provide about it would be helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 06:14 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I haven't been keeping up with this in any serious way, but from the casual conversations I have had it seems most people view this as a somewhat temporary problem. It has only become noticeable fairly recently and there are (supposedly) fixes being put in place. I'm not aware of anyone moving away just for this specific reason, though there probably are some who have. I can't imagine this becoming such an issue it causes a significant loss of population.

I live in nearby Haynesfield, not too far from the high school, and yes there are days when it's noticeable. And days when it is not. I can go a couple of weeks without smelling it and then it will be there for two or three days in a row. It's not a constant presence. Apparently some people are also more sensitive to it than others. My daughter says she can smell it on days when I can not.

The smell is hard to describe. I don't think of it as a 'garbage' sort of smell. Before I knew of the landfill issue I simply thought it might have been one of the chemical companies or a manufacturer causing the odor. To me it sort of smells like a stagnant lake with an algae problem, with undertones of some sort of chemical smell. Not nearly as bad as being near a paper mill or slaughter house. To me it's more of an annoyance at this point.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:24 AM

Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it. I see you describe yourself as a Yankee—my husband is actually from NY as well. Seems a lot of people relocate to TN.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:20 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I live in Bristol near Steele Creek and never smell it. I’ve never smelled it downtown or at The Pinnacle. There are a lot of people impacted by it, but I don’t think it’s as severe as it is made out to be in most areas of the city.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:25 AM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
I think DubbleT explained it well. I can add that my understanding is the smell usually occurs at night into the early morning and where is goes largely depends on which way the wind is blowing. We are returning to the area after relocating away for work. We have been all over Bristol TN/VA a bunch of times for home showings and have never smelt "the beast". Also, in the South, Yankee can be used loosely to describe anyone not from the South. For example, California.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:30 PM

Thank you! This is good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
View detailed profiles of: