Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 11:53 AM

85 posts, read 79,160 times

Advertisements

I'm a retired lady and will be taking a trip to eastern TN to see if I'd like to find a home there.

I like gardening, farmers markets, nature, cats, and peace and quiet. I'd like to rent a house or apartment to start before I buy a place. Monthly rent around $1300 or less would be comfortable. Safety is paramount.

From reading through these forums and other research, Johnson City, Bristol, or Greeneville sounds good. But there are other towns in that area for which I don't have much info. I've been to TN a lot but it was mostly in the 1990's when I went to Nashville a couple of times a year on vacation. I've been to Knoxville (and nearby tourist towns) a couple of times, but never went farther east.

My ideal hometown would have good medical facilities, a few good grocery stores, a farmer's market, and a senior center or at least a group that meets for activities. And acceptable cable and internet service.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of the best towns for me, as well as things/places to avoid and any other caveats. Also, how scary is the road through the mountains between Ashville and Johnson City? Coming up from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 01:21 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Maryville might be a good fit for you. Or nearby Seymour.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:08 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I would recommend renting a house rather than an apartment. Most of the apartments in the area is where the trouble is.

I'm originally from Greeneville and it basically fits the bill if you want a quiet, peaceful life, but medical facilities are not great. Johnson City is about 30 minutes up the road for better ones, but still not stellar. PM me with other questions.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The big issue right now is finding something to rent entirely. $1,300 will work in the Tri-Cities, but will be tight for a house. There is almost no inventory - renting here has always been a bit word of mouth/drive around, and houses from small landlords can be difficult to find from outside the area.

This area is also no longer the value it was, even a few years ago. I bought a townhome for a little under $100k in Bristol. Comps in my complex are now selling for ~$150k. Johnson City has probably had even steeper appreciation.

Any semi-serious medical problem north and east of Morristown basically gets referred to Johnson City Medical Center. The community hospitals in the counties are basically glorified urgent cares. The main hospitals in Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City can do the basics, but again, if I came down with something serious, I'd be looking to Knoxville-area providers.

I'm from the Tri-Cities, but I think being close to Knoxville just makes more sense for a lot of people. You can still get the rural feeling without being a couple hours away from larger city amenities.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:00 PM

143 posts, read 220,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efseil View Post
My ideal hometown would have good medical facilities, a few good grocery stores, a farmer's market, and a senior center or at least a group that meets for activities. And acceptable cable and internet service.
'Good' medical facilities and grocery stores can be subjective but Elizabethton meets your other criteria of a farmers' market, senior center (with meals) and decent cable/internet service. They have a 121 bed hospital (which can air flight you to Johnson City if needed), two urgent care centers, and one major multi-specialty medical center. The grocery chains are Ingles and Food City with the requisite Walmart and discount grocery stores. Other perks would be a Lowes and a Tractor Supply for building, farm and garden needs.

Of course the restaurant scene could be more varied and dressier clothing would involve a trip to Johnson City but that takes us about 20 minutes to get there.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,861 times
I'm so happy I found this forum --- the TN locals are so helpful and full of great ideas! It's sounds like we're in a similar situation - although I'm leaving the Washington, DC metro area to work remotely while I find "home" before I retire. You are ahead of me a bit in terms of research. I'm planning on visiting my top two contenders for location for a month each this fall to make sure I find the right fit. Then I'll rent before I buy. My timing is flexible because I am not tied to a property or school schedule here. It's just me and my dog! If you'd like to exchange information throughout the process, I'm happy to do so.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:41 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Before just moving and hoping everything works out forever with remote work, I'd definitely research the local job market in the event you need to depend on it during the future.

I'm originally from the Tri-Cities and work in IT. I used to work in office for the regional hospital system, then went remote for COVID. I left there fairly recently, and now work for an Asheville area employer one day a week in office. If this job vaporized and I couldn't find another remote position, I'd have to move.

You don't want to end up living somewhere where there are few local employment options, the remote job vaporizes, then you're having to move again.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 8,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efseil View Post
I'm a retired lady and will be taking a trip to eastern TN to see if I'd like to find a home there.

I like gardening, farmers markets, nature, cats, and peace and quiet. I'd like to rent a house or apartment to start before I buy a place. Monthly rent around $1300 or less would be comfortable. Safety is paramount.

From reading through these forums and other research, Johnson City, Bristol, or Greeneville sounds good. But there are other towns in that area for which I don't have much info. I've been to TN a lot but it was mostly in the 1990's when I went to Nashville a couple of times a year on vacation. I've been to Knoxville (and nearby tourist towns) a couple of times, but never went farther east.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of the best towns for me, as well as things/places to avoid and any other caveats. Also, how scary is the road through the mountains between Ashville and Johnson City? Coming up from Florida.

You have asked my question as well, with only a very few changes. Thank you for this! We are a retired couple beginning research for this area as well after realizing the humidity in central west FL is intolerable for hubby with severe asthma. We are lucky we are in the White Mtns in NH during summer to be with family, but eventually, will be full time in TN so looking for a 'forever' home. We are looking forward to our first visit to this area early next year. I would welcome any advice or suggestions! Appreciate your time!

Old 11-23-2022, 11:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Come to Johnson City and use that as a base for exploration. We stayed in the Carnegie hotel and ate our evening meal at the bar where you can chat with a variety of folks and get a good number of comments on the area and much of east Tennessee.

JC has most all of the things you are looking for...assuming you are aligned with the original poster.

Medical facilities, university town which provides diversity, and lower humidity on this side of the mountains--in fact lower than just about all of the east coast, including NH. Look up the data. You'll be surprised.

We are close to decent transportation. Highways are good, and the airport is very provincial. You literally walk in a few minutes before your flight and get on board with minimal intrusion. Highway 26 over the mountain from Ashville is easy. Just pay attention to your speed coming down. The corners are tighter than you think, and you can easily thrill yourself if your speed is too high.

The shortcomings are grocery stores (meh) and few decent restaurants. You learn to adapt and appreciate when you get out of the area for whatever reason and enjoy a good meal.

The people are extremely congenial, and you will fit in quickly. If religion is your thing, there is plenty of that but it is generally not intrusive like you might find in the Carolinas. Their politics is directed from the pulpit so there is some of that, but things are slowly changing.

Housing has been raging hot but is starting to cool. Time on market for new builds, of which there are MANY, has gone from literally hours to a couple of months. Prices will start to drop and later in 2023 might be a time to look for bargains. It's a feast or famine business locally, and we are coming off a robust feast. Give it time. Realtors, if you find a decent one, are more than willing to spend a day with you and tour the area, looking at the many styles of available homes. That will be the case more and more as the market cools.

Good luck. Come explore and enjoy.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Love the Carnegie. Stayed there twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol