Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2022, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,634 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
Long time reader first time poster.
Looking to retire (gotta get out of the wild west) in NE Tennessee just spent a week there n liked what I saw and the folks I met. Plan to return in winter too to be sure weather and all are "doable".
Drove a bunch considering Jonesborough want to rent first then buy I understand rentals tough to find perhaps this will change next year when I am ready to escape LA...
Anyway doing research you know taxes access to medical crime rates reg sex offenders nuclear fuel sites seismic activity etc and came across info related to concerns about bitcoin mining in or around the Washington County Industrial Park. In addition to the noise from the computers I understand it is an energy intensive operation so I wonder about the impact on the electricity grid and local residents (I want to escape rolling black outs and noise associated with big city life).
I asked a few TN residents but the few I spoke to were not aware of the operations/concerns.
Unless I am searching incorrectly I could not any forum posts about it; also I dont know if including quotes or links to articles or naming specific businesses on city data is okay but it appears a few businesses are eyeing NE TN for future bitcoin mining ops.
What is your experience and or thoughts, please?
Thx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 06:58 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
While I don't think big mining operations are desirable from strictly an environmental perspective, I don't see this being a big deal.

This area is well-supplied with electricity by the TVA. The local climate is very temperate compared to much of the rest of the country. It's still fairly lightly populated. While the area is growing, I don't ever see it getting "big" like Nashville, or even Knoxville.

I've never experienced a blackout or brownout here. It's basically unthinkable.

Also, the crypto market has basically imploded this year. Lower crypto prices mean that these mining operations aren't as profitable, and some may close.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:55 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,643 times
My understanding is that noise from the bitcoin mining operation is only an issue in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the operation. I think the issue with the current location is a zoning one- it shouldn't have been put in an agricultural zoning area. Now, the controversy about it moving to the industrial park is limited to those residents closest to the park, though the agreement is to keep the maximum noise to 60 decibels, which shouldn't be excessive in an industrial park setting.

As Serious Conversation pointed out- the idea of a rolling blackout or something similar would be totally unheard of here. I guess anything is theoretically possible with enough population growth and more extreme temps over the course of time, but a bitcoin mining operation isn't going to be a large contributing factor to that.

Basically, the concerns that you have read about are not on anyone's radar except those who live right next to the mining operation.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
My thanks to you both-appreciate your time and thoughts! Good points about their proposed move to the industrial park. Whew! such good news about no rolling blackouts - energy, water issues, crime its the wild west n I gotta get out so trying to do my homework as I prep n plan for retirement in a conservative God loving and fearing place. Many many thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol