Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Older single female here, and me and a couple female friends are looking to buy a couple acres in Hawkins or Hancock County.

We'll be placing our RVs on the site - semi-permanently. Eventually, we hope to build three small (shed conversion) houses for ourselves OR find a couple lightly used pre-fab (mobile) homes.

Is anyone doing this? I'm hoping to learn a lot in a hurry. I need to get out of apartment living and into something more practical and affordable and permanent.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 05:14 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles_the_Dog View Post
Older single female here, and me and a couple female friends are looking to buy a couple acres in Hawkins or Hancock County.

We'll be placing our RVs on the site - semi-permanently. Eventually, we hope to build three small (shed conversion) houses for ourselves OR find a couple lightly used pre-fab (mobile) homes.

Is anyone doing this? I'm hoping to learn a lot in a hurry. I need to get out of apartment living and into something more practical and affordable and permanent.

Thanks so much.
I'll be following the responses you get here. Sounds like a good idea you have here - and something I have considered. Small piece of property with a tiny house on it as a '2nd home' to get away from winters here in the NE. Husband is fine with winter, I no longer am. Seems that tiny houses, though, are usually all in a trailer park situation, all grouped together, which isn't ideal IMO.

Best of luck!

Old 02-26-2023, 05:29 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Not to be a downer, but be sure to diligently check the ZONING restrictions of any land you purchase.

There are places where you cannot live in a recreational vehicle, even on your own land, and there are a LOT of restrictions on where tiny homes, and especially those crafted from converted storage shed type structures, can be placed.

I know this from checking into it, and from an article about a family in Georgia that had to move their RV off of their own land and into an RV park because the land they purchased had zoning restrictions. They had planned to just live in it while building their own home, but they did not get all the details of what they could do with their land beforehand. They had just accepted what the seller told them.

Additionally, as far as mobile homes go, as we found out when purchasing land and a mobile for my dad, there are sometimes restrictions on how old a mobile home can be, how much acreage is required, septic restrictions, and often doublewides are approved, but sometimes singlewides are not.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2023, 06:01 PM

143 posts, read 220,690 times
This is an example of what just happened with Carter County TN tiny house zoning:

https://www.elizabethton.com/2023/01...e%20resolution.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:23 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I think this is a bad idea for various reasons.

Like everyone else mentioned, you really need to be well-versed the zoning and building regulations for the county you are in. While most rural counties like Hawkins have very limited to no zoning/building regulations, you need to be absolutely sure what you are doing is legal.

Even if it is, you still have typical issues like water connections, what to do in colder temperatures, power, etc. Hawkins is a rural, poor county, and you're not likely to find local contractors that have expertise in this type of living arrangement.

Hawkins is also well-known to have a drug/property crime problem. Older, single women living basically alone like that would be very vulnerable to the local addicts.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Not to be a downer, but be sure to diligently check the ZONING restrictions of any land you purchase.

There are places where you cannot live in a recreational vehicle, even on your own land, and there are a LOT of restrictions on where tiny homes, and especially those crafted from converted storage shed type structures, can be placed.

I know this from checking into it, and from an article about a family in Georgia that had to move their RV off of their own land and into an RV park because the land they purchased had zoning restrictions. They had planned to just live in it while building their own home, but they did not get all the details of what they could do with their land beforehand. They had just accepted what the seller told them.

Additionally, as far as mobile homes go, as we found out when purchasing land and a mobile for my dad, there are sometimes restrictions on how old a mobile home can be, how much acreage is required, septic restrictions, and often doublewides are approved, but sometimes singlewides are not.

Good luck!
Thank you for sharing this info!

Old 02-28-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
This is an example of what just happened with Carter County TN tiny house zoning:

These regs seem to negate the whole concept of a tiny house (other than your structure actually being a 'tiny' house)......one of the benefits being that tiny is a movable structure. Appreciate people sharing this
local info.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post

Great Info.

I think a lot of TV shows and YouTube videos have popularized the Tiny Home idea, and I've watched quite a few of them myself. But, I notice they very rarely go into the zoning specifics and issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol