U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Telford, TN
1,065 posts, read 3,564,146 times
Reputation: 354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I just stumbled on to this forum today and this is one of the areas I can comment on being from Maryland as I have an outsider's perspective from an urban Democrat state which surrounds the politicians, the "Beltway Bandits" as they are called up home. If you are very liberal, more in the "left coast" tradition you may feel a lot more comfortable spending time in Asheville NC, 50 minutes down the road. Always a good protest going on downtown or in the editorial pages along the lines of Iraq, or Global Warming or the government being mean to the trees, bugs and bunnies, etc., lots of 'Bohemian types' and limosine liberals down there. May feel a bit more 'Cali' or New York City down there to you.
NE TN appears to be the conservative third of an otherwise "Blue" state. In spite of the few rebel flags you'll see proudly displayed, historically NE TN and Western NC did not wish to succede the Union acc. to my research. They had no slaves and plantations and in spite of being the Volunteer state didn't see any reason to go fight the plantation owner's war for them but in the end had no choice but to go along with all the states around them. The folks in NE TN were isolated by poor roads and for the longest time, few Railroads, and lived kind of in a vacuum which I think they preferred in some ways until they brought in the railroads to cut down all the trees and remove the iron ore from the mountains. For more on this kind of history there is a very good website called JohnsonDepot or something like that. I do not have the link handy but it can explain the local history nicely, good website.
Being from a northern state where church attendance is pretty low that is a bit different. People I've met around here are Christians and pretty secure in their faith but other than a few "church ladies" I've met don't seem too interested in converting you. Me personally, I find it great as I can go to Home Depot or Lowe's on a Sunday morning and have the store pretty much to myself. The locals seem to be in church or hiding in their homes so their neighbors/relations don't see that they didn't go to church. Being a Godless heathen I find it handy for Sunday morning shopping trips. They say this is the Bible Belt and geographically it's true but there are many more places in the south where it is much more "in your face" in the media and you see the Mega churches. You will have to change your way of speaking if you are from the Northeast and swear a good bit God Damn makes people wince and the F bomb can cause fainting amongst some members of the community. Other than that I'd say folks are not as tolerant of interracial couples but you probably won't have crosses burned on your front lawn and you may not want to drive around with a rainbow sticker on your bumper but it doesn't seem too bad in comparison to other places I've been in the south.
Other than that it's mostly little things you'll notice, TN drivers tailgate you like their all "drafting" at Bristol Motor Speedway and southern drivers in general consider traffic lights more of a suggestion and than a command, sitting for a while after it turns green and then running the red [which is of course why they all sit there for a second or two after it turns green] These little things will be outweighed in my opinion by the other southern behaviors such as their friendliness and almost unnerving [to a northerner] eye contact with you. I have found these folks quick to say hello but reserved to 'let you in' and be careful as folks are easy to offend where northerners are used to people being able to take sarcasm and double meanings where down here folks seem pretty literal and what you may feel is a joke may be taken to heart. Once offended folks here don't forget it either. Still, like I said, subtle differences just go slow with people you meet and you should love it here.
Whew, I'm worn out after reading all of that. As it ran on, I pretty much forgot what the point was.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 3,567,986 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Whew, I'm worn out after reading all of that. As it ran on, I pretty much forgot what the point was.
there's a real dichotemy - highway loonies and local road scaredy cats...
same with the locals - very friendly huggy types or they cannot
forget the civil war and still bear a grudge...They like to say god bless a lot which I find charming but I draw the line when they come to you in the store and want to pray with you..or put those prayers on your car...

I moved here from NE. lived in Los ang and NYC so this was a trip..but I love my gorgeous house which is why I moved and the lower cost of living so I put up with the rest..used to the summer heat now so that's cool,,and I hated the cold up north...good luck..it's all a compromise..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 3,567,986 times
Reputation: 320
Smile hi there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I just stumbled on to this forum today and this is one of the areas I can comment on being from Maryland as I have an outsider's perspective from an urban Democrat state which surrounds the politicians, the "Beltway Bandits" as they are called up home. If you are very liberal, more in the "left coast" tradition you may feel a lot more comfortable spending time in Asheville NC, 50 minutes down the road. Always a good protest going on downtown or in the editorial pages along the lines of Iraq, or Global Warming or the government being mean to the trees, bugs and bunnies, etc., lots of 'Bohemian types' and limosine liberals down there. May feel a bit more 'Cali' or New York City down there to you.
NE TN appears to be the conservative third of an otherwise "Blue" state. In spite of the few rebel flags you'll see proudly displayed, historically NE TN and Western NC did not wish to succede the Union acc. to my research. They had no slaves and plantations and in spite of being the Volunteer state didn't see any reason to go fight the plantation owner's war for them but in the end had no choice but to go along with all the states around them. The folks in NE TN were isolated by poor roads and for the longest time, few Railroads, and lived kind of in a vacuum which I think they preferred in some ways until they brought in the railroads to cut down all the trees and remove the iron ore from the mountains. For more on this kind of history there is a very good website called JohnsonDepot or something like that. I do not have the link handy but it can explain the local history nicely, good website.
Being from a northern state where church attendance is pretty low that is a bit different. People I've met around here are Christians and pretty secure in their faith but other than a few "church ladies" I've met don't seem too interested in converting you. Me personally, I find it great as I can go to Home Depot or Lowe's on a Sunday morning and have the store pretty much to myself. The locals seem to be in church or hiding in their homes so their neighbors/relations don't see that they didn't go to church. Being a Godless heathen I find it handy for Sunday morning shopping trips. They say this is the Bible Belt and geographically it's true but there are many more places in the south where it is much more "in your face" in the media and you see the Mega churches. You will have to change your way of speaking if you are from the Northeast and swear a good bit God Damn makes people wince and the F bomb can cause fainting amongst some members of the community. Other than that I'd say folks are not as tolerant of interracial couples but you probably won't have crosses burned on your front lawn and you may not want to drive around with a rainbow sticker on your bumper but it doesn't seem too bad in comparison to other places I've been in the south.
Other than that it's mostly little things you'll notice, TN drivers tailgate you like their all "drafting" at Bristol Motor Speedway and southern drivers in general consider traffic lights more of a suggestion and than a command, sitting for a while after it turns green and then running the red [which is of course why they all sit there for a second or two after it turns green] These little things will be outweighed in my opinion by the other southern behaviors such as their friendliness and almost unnerving [to a northerner] eye contact with you. I have found these folks quick to say hello but reserved to 'let you in' and be careful as folks are easy to offend where northerners are used to people being able to take sarcasm and double meanings where down here folks seem pretty literal and what you may feel is a joke may be taken to heart. Once offended folks here don't forget it either. Still, like I said, subtle differences just go slow with people you meet and you should love it here.
Good thinking there...

What about Mountain city versus Boone or Blowing Rock? I am from the NE but am more of a connecticut yankee cheapskate young ivy league fogey....

anyway, been contemplating where to go for pre-retirement house....no kids...writer.....lived in LA and NYC....

Bought a place in Murfreesboro but have not found my tribe here...new subdivision was my problem..everybody from NC CA and Orlando. very few natives...new money ..little kids ....unfriendly overall....made cookies for some kids up the street - never got a thank you!

Don't care for liberal tree huggers in Asheville...would have stayed in Santa Monica for that action....

I want to see nature out my back... a colonilal or reproduction...think Martha Stewart versus Annie Oakley in a loghouse...maltese versus black lab...hate the cold and snow ..need milder temps...don't need the bad air off the smokies into that stench in Asheville...paper plant? Not really fond of blue grass or basketweaving either..hahaha and oh yeah, I don't need the ankle challenge of houses on cliffs....I am cheap so would prefer TN low tax versus NC over 100 a sqft wannabes..I have a porblem with developers who price houses for the CA transplant..hahaha

any ideas or places that come to mind?

Nashville is too unhistoric for me -ti's all about changing itself..reminds me of LA...it's kinda ugly for a city..the old historic areas are not so hot..West MEade is blue blood only....the rest is developers hell....

Would like to be in a non subdivision grid..like an old town the developers left alone....local artsy eccentrics are cool...expats that run B&B's are cool...
college professors are cool....local shopkeepers are cool...techies are cool....local coffee shops are cool, folks that drive antique cars are cool... folks that try to one up their neighbor by spending more are not cool....folks that think their kids cna do no wrong and get to run around the subdiv like they own it are NOT cool......old died in the wool natives of TN who love their history are cool....okay that's all..you know the area well..can you help me get out of Murfreesboro.. to ...?????

BTW you're spot on the sunday drill- had the whole MALL to myself two weeks ago on Sunday morning...hahaha...12buttons
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Telford, TN
1,065 posts, read 3,564,146 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
there's a real dichotemy - highway loonies and local road scaredy cats...
same with the locals - very friendly huggy types or they cannot
forget the civil war and still bear a grudge...They like to say god bless a lot which I find charming but I draw the line when they come to you in the store and want to pray with you..or put those prayers on your car...

I moved here from NE. lived in Los ang and NYC so this was a trip..but I love my gorgeous house which is why I moved and the lower cost of living so I put up with the rest..used to the summer heat now so that's cool,,and I hated the cold up north...good luck..it's all a compromise..
Where exactly are you encountering all of this? We moved here last year from Florida and live in Telford near Jonesborough. I get around to places all around Johnson City, Kingsport, and Greenville and have not once encountered the stuff that you're talking about. I will grant you that they do drive a little slower here than Jacksonville, FL, but that's part of the charm. The slower pace.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,580,295 times
Reputation: 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Good thinking there...

What about Mountain city versus Boone or Blowing Rock? I am from the NE but am more of a connecticut yankee cheapskate young ivy league fogey....

anyway, been contemplating where to go for pre-retirement house....no kids...writer.....lived in LA and NYC....

Bought a place in Murfreesboro but have not found my tribe here...new subdivision was my problem..everybody from NC CA and Orlando. very few natives...new money ..little kids ....unfriendly overall....made cookies for some kids up the street - never got a thank you!

Don't care for liberal tree huggers in Asheville...would have stayed in Santa Monica for that action....

I want to see nature out my back... a colonilal or reproduction...think Martha Stewart versus Annie Oakley in a loghouse...maltese versus black lab...hate the cold and snow ..need milder temps...don't need the bad air off the smokies into that stench in Asheville...paper plant? Not really fond of blue grass or basketweaving either..hahaha and oh yeah, I don't need the ankle challenge of houses on cliffs....I am cheap so would prefer TN low tax versus NC over 100 a sqft wannabes..I have a porblem with developers who price houses for the CA transplant..hahaha

any ideas or places that come to mind?

Nashville is too unhistoric for me -ti's all about changing itself..reminds me of LA...it's kinda ugly for a city..the old historic areas are not so hot..West MEade is blue blood only....the rest is developers hell....

Would like to be in a non subdivision grid..like an old town the developers left alone....local artsy eccentrics are cool...expats that run B&B's are cool...
college professors are cool....local shopkeepers are cool...techies are cool....local coffee shops are cool, folks that drive antique cars are cool... folks that try to one up their neighbor by spending more are not cool....folks that think their kids cna do no wrong and get to run around the subdiv like they own it are NOT cool......old died in the wool natives of TN who love their history are cool....okay that's all..you know the area well..can you help me get out of Murfreesboro.. to ...?????

BTW you're spot on the sunday drill- had the whole MALL to myself two weeks ago on Sunday morning...hahaha...12buttons
Hi 12buttons.
After reading your post, my first thought was you need to be south of Jonesborough to live and in Jonesborough to hang out.
Just my thoughts.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,514 posts, read 14,759,465 times
Reputation: 2841
Just wondering what a 'non subdivision grid' is??? Sounds to me like mbmouse is right, Jonesborough near the centre, or somewhere in Johnson City's Southside.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
 
4,951 posts, read 2,368,869 times
Reputation: 1775
Hi 12 buttons...
Jonesborough, was my initial thought too.
What about the Bristol or Kingsport areas? Have you considered either of those areas?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
 
16,689 posts, read 16,323,729 times
Reputation: 10194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
...... and expect people to have a healthy aversion to any mention of higher taxes or increased regulation. Less is more..
The just the type of place we're looking to escape to. We currently live in a blue stater's nirvana and it ain't fun. A real mommy state.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
295 posts, read 667,910 times
Reputation: 173
12buttons. I found deals on '70s three bedroom ranchers in places like Piney Flats. look at that area, it's growing a little bit and centrally located. Telford and Limestone and Chuckey, pretty, but not much happening and you have to haul into town a ways for everything. The downtown of Greenville has done a lot of renewal it looks like. Still a lot of vacant buildings downtown but historic/pretty and has shopping handy. Rogersville has some nice old houses but otherwise is too far off the beaten path for me. Morristown...NO Thanks! Sevierville, Maryville, Newport, Dandridge all may interest you too. Erwin, up in the mtns. has cute little houses in town and is about 20 minutes from Johnson City shopping.
Actually though, reading all the things you like you may want to take a ride to Abingdon VA. Nice Place! Artsy, but not Asheville and right outside of town you have beautiful mountains and the Virginia Creeper trail and it's just up the road from Bristol's Exit 7 shopping Mecca.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Seattle
6,514 posts, read 14,759,465 times
Reputation: 2841
Greeneville has done some good solid renewal, but they have MAJOR plans in place for some downtown development:

Rediscover Greeneville Tennessee
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top