U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM

295 posts, read 668,585 times

Advertisements

12 buttons, I forgot that you also asked about Mtn City, Boone and Blowing Rock. Mtn. City is a pretty good haul to shopping for anything you can't find there locally, pretty area. Small TN mountain town vibe.
Boone and Blowing Rock are both pretty far out in the mountains and I think have more winter weather due to their elevation. Beautiful country. If you can't find what your looking for there shopping wise you have to drive pretty far for an alternative. Housing definitely has the NC more expensive price differential. I think the retirement market and maybe the college in Boone [?] drive up R/E prices. Don't know for sure. I looked at moving up there for a job possibility but the house I live in here in Boone's Creek/Gray area is easily 20 to 30 grand more up there and not as nice. So I would live in a better house with more conveniences here near Johnson City.
Maybe someone else can explain it but I researched WNC a lot before moving here and housing around Asheville/Black Mountain/Canton direction and even up in the mountains like Boone and Blowing Rock is tens of thousands of dollars more expensive. [?] Salaries are higher but TN seemed the better deal housing/tax wise so I have more disposable income living here in NE TN.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 PM

doc1
If you're looking to escape a "blue state nirvana" then you're preaching to the choir to me. TN is in a lot of ways what 'America' is supposed to mean to me. Do what you want on your own property as long as it don't mess up your neighbor's thrill. You don't have to apologise for the fact that you own a gun [or a dozen]. Fireworks are not only legal, they're mandatory. You don't have to schedule a hearing at the courthouse if you want to paint your house a different color or cut down a tree or build an addition or outbuilding. And yes, they are very opposed to higher taxation of any kind and would prefer that the government spend your money wisely rather than constantly jack up all the taxes on everything every time you turn around. Being from Maryland I know what that's like...they think nothing of upping taxes and the state hemorrages money like there is no end to the squeezing they can do to the citizens. Fiscally, MD is the most reprehsenible place I have ever lived. My property taxes are 3,000 dollars less here than they would be on the same house in MD, their sales tax is 6% and they have a state income tax to boot and still can't seem to avoid a deficit. Even so the roads are paved pretty well the schools and jails aren't much more overcrowded than back in MD and after living here for a year it makes me wonder what the H--l they do with all the money we give them up east.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 AM

252 posts, read 313,055 times
Default Absolutely Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlalulu View Post
We are thinking about moving to the Jonesborough/Johnson City area, and I just want to say how much I appreciate all the information provided on this forum, it's been invaluable! We just recently visited, and thought the area was beautiful and the people very nice!

I just have one question that I really haven't seen discussed, and understandably, it's a bit subjective. Would a somewhat liberal Southern California mom and wife, early 30's, be comfortable culturally and/or politically (althought I'm not that political) living in the area? By culturally I don't mean arts, etc, I mean world view type stuff.

Thanks for the help, any thoughts would be appreciated!
I doubt you would...ymmv

Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,567,896 times
I live in Telford, just outside Jonesborough, after moving here from FL last year. I really don't think you would encounter any problems. You may from time to time encounter someone that disagrees with your point of view, and that's only if you are in some way making an issue of that point of view. Everyone is pretty much live and let live. The people of this area are very friendly and easy going.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Default southern California world views and NE TN.

Williboy and htmlfamily may actually both be correct regarding their take on someone with a left coast world view being comfortable her. Meaning; no, you wouldn't be surrounding yourself with people who share that world view so you may not be comfortable here if that's vital to your comfort level but as willi said, folks here won't give you grief about it much either. Still, you may be more comfortable 60 miles down the road in Asheville/Weaverville/Black Mountain NC. I think that area would be surrounding yourself with many more people that may share your views. I think if you want to gauge people's opinions then read some of the editorial pages on-line in the Asheville newspapers and the Johnson City/Bristol newspapers to gauge how people feel on topical issues.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Asheville is pretty rugged terrain, though. Beautiful, but hardly SoCal. The OP might even prefer living in Knoxville. A conservative city, but with more variety than JC, and more amenities & similarities to her origins.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Asheville is pretty rugged terrain, though. Beautiful, but hardly SoCal. The OP might even prefer living in Knoxville. A conservative city, but with more variety than JC, and more amenities & similarities to her origins.
I don't know if I'm taking you too literally about the terrain. Obviously geographically Asheville bears practically no resemblance to SoCal. I thought the original post was regarding "world view". Asheville seems to me to be about someone always railing against the government or corporate greed or some other injustice [real or perceived] Knoxville is a good city with a lot of new amenities in the last few years but I don't perceive it as a west coast "world view" Seems to me more capitalist momentum regarding things like the right car or right speed boat than being worried about recycling and other issues to me.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM

6,935 posts, read 10,236,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I live in Telford, just outside Jonesborough, after moving here from FL last year. I really don't think you would encounter any problems. You may from time to time encounter someone that disagrees with your point of view, and that's only if you are in some way making an issue of that point of view. Everyone is pretty much live and let live. The people of this area are very friendly and easy going.
I pretty much agree with this. The problem I see with Eastern TN (and much of the south) is the religious aspect (and emotion included therin) overshadows people's reason and tolerance. And the "radicals" in these groups push their views on people. It happens in the south more than any other part of the country I've lived in or visited. It's pretty interesting, actually.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,567,896 times
At 53 years old, I've lived in Mississippi, Florida, and Tennessee and can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had someone bring up religion to me outside of being within a religious setting. You may get invited to religeous functions from time to time, but if you don't wish to attend, no one would ever be rude to you about it or make any kind of issue of it.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I don't know if I'm taking you too literally about the terrain. Obviously geographically Asheville bears practically no resemblance to SoCal. I thought the original post was regarding "world view". Asheville seems to me to be about someone always railing against the government or corporate greed or some other injustice [real or perceived] Knoxville is a good city with a lot of new amenities in the last few years but I don't perceive it as a west coast "world view" Seems to me more capitalist momentum regarding things like the right car or right speed boat than being worried about recycling and other issues to me.

That capitalist momentum is probably alive in well in parts of Knoxville. As much as I hate to perpetuate the stereotype, it sounds like Farragut, to me. But as a former resident, and frequent visitor, I have to say that, to me, Knoxville is pretty laid-back about things like the right car or the right boat (who can afford a boat, anyway?). Of course, I've always lived in blue collar-esque east Knoxville and/or studentville The Fort. I was downtown last night and it was pretty darn laid back, save the two or three hellfire and brimstone preachers shouting on the streetcorners.

I agree with your Asheville assessment. It is now the mecca for the New Age movement and all that entails. But from the OP's post I (thought I) gathered a more moderate, centrist view, which Knoxville would, as a city with lots of different sorts of people (Farragut v Maryville v Fountain City), fulfill well enough. At least one of the best in the area.

Maybe what I was trying to say, in a rather roundabout and cryptic way, is that if you move to Asheville/Black Mtn/Hville, you're stuck with that. It's just a city the way it is. In Knoxville, it's easier to distance yourself from different subcultures and move between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol