Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 PM

22 posts, read 81,901 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to the Jonesborough/Johnson City area, and I just want to say how much I appreciate all the information provided on this forum, it's been invaluable! We just recently visited, and thought the area was beautiful and the people very nice!

I just have one question that I really haven't seen discussed, and understandably, it's a bit subjective. Would a somewhat liberal Southern California mom and wife, early 30's, be comfortable culturally and/or politically (althought I'm not that political) living in the area? By culturally I don't mean arts, etc, I mean world view type stuff.

Thanks for the help, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlalulu View Post
We are thinking about moving to the Jonesborough/Johnson City area, and I just want to say how much I appreciate all the information provided on this forum, it's been invaluable! We just recently visited, and thought the area was beautiful and the people very nice!

I just have one question that I really haven't seen discussed, and understandably, it's a bit subjective. Would a somewhat liberal Southern California mom and wife, early 30's, be comfortable culturally and/or politically (althought I'm not that political) living in the area? By culturally I don't mean arts, etc, I mean world view type stuff.

Hi sharlalulu... I don't believe you'll have any problems. I have read many times throughout these threads something similar to what you are asking, and the general opinion is that it's kind of a "live and let live" attitude. As to weather or not you will be comfortable, well only you can answer that, but world views etc. are probably not going to be a problem for you.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:

Hmm. Well, a place (anywhere) is what you make of it and I think the most conservative types can live harmoniously with highly-liberal areas, and vice-versa. It all depends on the choices of the individual!

With that being said, I grew up in the tri-cities area and visit frequently (couple times a year). The area, geographically, is probably one of the most scenic and beautiful in the US. Of the 3 "big" tri-cities, JC is definitely the most "liberal," albeit just slightly. This is due to ETSU's presence, and the in/out flow of many college students from all over the country/world. There are a couple of gay bars in JC as well. BUT--keep in mind that Northeast TN is the bedrock of the BIBLE BELT, and Baptists rule the area. It's a very conservative and Republican area overall. Might I even go so far as saying outside JC, you may be shocked to encounter very much anti-gay behavior, what-the-man-of-the-house says, goes behavior, and a lot of looking down on mixed-race marriages or any culture not of "Baptist upbringing."

Don't let all this stop you from moving here--there are a LOT of amazing people in the tri-cities and it is a wonderful place to raise a family. Just be aware of some of the attitudes and "backwardness" that does still exist here, even in 2008. And believe me, it does--I have many first-hand accounts.

Check it out for yourself and decide. Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:47 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
To add my 2 cents worth: I moved here in 1983, and it took a year to adjust.

Looking back, though, I think it was because we had unwittingly gotten into a very fundamentalist and unhealthy group of Christians (which exist in many places across the world, but our experience was here).

But I think any major move will need adjustment because there would have to be cultural differences. You can focus on the differences or you can focus on the similarities and the beauty of the area.

I have NEVER regretted moving here. It's been 25 years and I still LOVE it!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
My wife and I were at Concert on the Square in Jonesborough on Friday night. There was a young mixed race couple (white male/black female) there with his parents. They were sitting a couple of rows in front of us and all seemed to be having a very good time.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM

22 posts, read 81,901 times
Thank you all for the input. I definitely think moving anywhere is going to be an adjustment, just trying to decide how much of an adjustment we're ready for. We love the area and the people are so incredibly nice! We like the idea of raising our kids in a small town, definitely want a slower pace of life. I think we're going to go out in July and just spend a couple weeks spending a little more time in the JC area and some other areas in TN, NC, and VA to decide what area is best for us.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
Welcome to TN and be sure and take the kids to Dollywood.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Yeah, it's going to be a culture shock. Too many people, though, associate that concept with "liberal vs. conservative," when it's really a different way of viewing life. You'll come to understand if you don't already; people in California tend to operate in different ways than people in the South, and than people in the Northeast. All three are disparate.

But as far as liberal vs. conservative goes, hmm... You'll find that most people native to this area are very negative of people who are non-Caucasian (and non-American), people who are gay, people who choose to live different than "normal" (even including people who choose to stay single), people who are atheists or agnostic, etc. This tends to go hand-in-hand with the fact that many NETN natives have little more than a high school education and haven't traveled far beyond Mid/East TN, Western NC and SW VA.

However, there are some natives altogether more accepting and open-minded. Also, the TC (especially Johnson City) is seeing a big influx of newcomers to the region, and with them a different attitude of a more inclusive nature.

In the end, I agree with jjbradley, it's what you make of it. If you want to live here, then you should live here. Don't let others worldviews dictate your own life, else "they" (small minded people) have won.

You'll be able to find cultural opportunity to match your personality, though. It might just be smaller than you're used to. Downtown JC is experiencing good growth with nightclubs, restaurants (a new German cuisine place opened last week), coffee shops, art galleries, etc. And nearby, ETSU brings in all the opportunities (music, lectures, plays, etc) that a strong regional university affords.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:

what part of socal are you from? Venice? ORange COunty - apples and oranges right there...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Quote:

People around here generally keep their politics to themselves. In fact most are pretty fed up with both parties. Just don't expect Democrats to get elected in the local elections, and expect people to have a healthy aversion to any mention of higher taxes or increased regulation. Less is more.

The only place I could see a problem is if you joined a conservative type church. You can even protest the war on S Roan St if you would like. I've seen protesters in groups of about twenty ... no one really pays them any mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol