Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2023, 02:51 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times

Advertisements

^ 17 miles south of downtown Seattle is the suburbs. No one talks to strangers in suburbs, that isn't a Seattle thing, it's an American thing. In-city neighborhoods in Seattle are very friendly. I talk to new people every day on dog walks, visits to restaurants or breweries, or just sitting in the park. But that's beside the point...

I grew up in Greeneville and lived in Johnson City for years. Made a few other moves around the country but have been in Seattle for years. I've also spent a few weekends here and there in Idaho (mostly Idaho Falls and Coeur d'Alene).

I would say East TN is less militantly conservative than north Idaho. More on-par with the Boise region in terms of politics. As far as things to do and overall activity/buzz of the region, the Tri-Cities falls somewhere in between the Twin Falls region and Spokane-Coeur d'Alene.

As far as dating, a lot of folks in NETN (who plan to stay there) are already locked down by the time they get to their mid-20s. Not everyone, though, by any means. If you vaguely fit the mold (outdoorsy, hunter, fisher, or potentially a churchgoer) you should have no problems finding dates or more. Lots of women in the 22-25 age range due to ETSU. Most of them are going to be from NETN, as ETSU is more of a commuter school and doesn't attract all that many intranational students from outside the region.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 07:58 PM

240 posts, read 236,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
^ 17 miles south of downtown Seattle is the suburbs. No one talks to strangers in suburbs, that isn't a Seattle thing, it's an American thing. In-city neighborhoods in Seattle are very friendly. I talk to new people every day on dog walks, visits to restaurants or breweries, or just sitting in the park. But that's beside the point...

I grew up in Greeneville and lived in Johnson City for years. Made a few other moves around the country but have been in Seattle for years. I've also spent a few weekends here and there in Idaho (mostly Idaho Falls and Coeur d'Alene).

I would say East TN is less militantly conservative than north Idaho. More on-par with the Boise region in terms of politics. As far as things to do and overall activity/buzz of the region, the Tri-Cities falls somewhere in between the Twin Falls region and Spokane-Coeur d'Alene.

As far as dating, a lot of folks in NETN (who plan to stay there) are already locked down by the time they get to their mid-20s. Not everyone, though, by any means. If you vaguely fit the mold (outdoorsy, hunter, fisher, or potentially a churchgoer) you should have no problems finding dates or more. Lots of women in the 22-25 age range due to ETSU. Most of them are going to be from NETN, as ETSU is more of a commuter school and doesn't attract all that many intranational students from outside the region.
Thanks for your perspective. As far as "things to do" are concerned, I seem to be more easily satisfied than many people. Honestly the only reason I'm not moving to a more remote area is dating access. I'll probably spend a fair amount of time visiting the towns around Asheville/ Western NC as well, not sure how much that will expand things socially.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:46 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Thanks for your perspective. As far as "things to do" are concerned, I seem to be more easily satisfied than many people. Honestly the only reason I'm not moving to a more remote area is dating access. I'll probably spend a fair amount of time visiting the towns around Asheville/ Western NC as well, not sure how much that will expand things socially.
The towns north of Weaverville or so on I-26 going back toward TN are culturally the same as TN. Like I mentioned, I split time between western NC/Tri-Cities. The biggest difference between western NC and northeast TN is that NC politicians/residents, even in the red counties, don't push religion or politics "in your face" the way it is in TN.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The towns north of Weaverville or so on I-26 going back toward TN are culturally the same as TN. Like I mentioned, I split time between western NC/Tri-Cities. The biggest difference between western NC and northeast TN is that NC politicians/residents, even in the red counties, don't push religion or politics "in your face" the way it is in TN.
I believe this but because dating is a priority, I figure my odds will be best in the higher population areas in the region. Between Ashville and Johnson City, Johnson City seems much more fitting. I might consider Hendersonville as well but its obviously much smaller than those other two.

I'll be renting so I'm not locked in to anything long term. Ideally I'll be able to explore the smaller towns across both states (and other nearby states) and figure out where I want to buy.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times
Agree with jabogitlu and SC's posts on dating. Johnson City & Northeast TN in general is a tough nut to crack for dating if you are not from the area. For one, there aren't many single professionals. Two, most of the folks in the area are locals whose parents, grandparents, etc. are locals, and they have never gone far from the area. Even traveling wise, outside of the trips to the beach or Smokies, they pretty much stick to NETN and the surrounding area. Because of that, culturally they are used to a certain type. In general, I would say evangelical Christian (especially Southern Baptist) and "simple" (I'm not using that in a derogatory way; just basically a small town way of life).

It's a great area that I miss dearly with tons of outdoor recreation activities and pretty good access to a lot of great cities. I don't miss the dating scene, though.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Agree with jabogitlu and SC's posts on dating. Johnson City & Northeast TN in general is a tough nut to crack for dating if you are not from the area. For one, there aren't many single professionals. Two, most of the folks in the area are locals whose parents, grandparents, etc. are locals, and they have never gone far from the area. Even traveling wise, outside of the trips to the beach or Smokies, they pretty much stick to NETN and the surrounding area. Because of that, culturally they are used to a certain type. In general, I would say evangelical Christian (especially Southern Baptist) and "simple" (I'm not using that in a derogatory way; just basically a small town way of life).

It's a great area that I miss dearly with tons of outdoor recreation activities and pretty good access to a lot of great cities. I don't miss the dating scene, though.

Good luck.
Thank you for weighing in.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:24 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
One thing to keep in mind on the "access" thing is how close you consider "reasonable access."

If you are looking for cities within a full day's drive or so, true, the Tri-Cities is pretty centrally located. From Bristol, I could leave at 6 AM and be in Philadelphia for a late lunch at 2. Atlanta, Richmond, Washington, and Cincinnati are about five hours away. Nashville and Raleigh are 4-4.5. Charlotte is about 3.5. The VA, NC, and SC beaches are all within a day. I can get to various Midwest cities and parts of Florida, Alabama, Kentucky, etc., in a full day.

If you are looking for <2 hours, it's just Asheville and Knoxville. Within three hours, you have Roanoke, VA (not much), Greenville, SC, and some suburbs of metro Charlotte. IMO, beyond that, you are looking at a hotel stay overnight if you're doing much there at all.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:39 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Relative to Idaho though, the access is pretty good. If you're in Boise it's at least 5 hours to Salt Lake, 7 hours to Portland or Spokane, 8 hours to Seattle... and those are really your closest cities. NETN very much feels like an east coast region in that way... it's so close to so many other areas. It's a very easy region to have a 4-day weekend in a totally different culture like Charleston.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Relative to Idaho though, the access is pretty good. If you're in Boise it's at least 5 hours to Salt Lake, 7 hours to Portland or Spokane, 8 hours to Seattle... and those are really your closest cities. NETN very much feels like an east coast region in that way... it's so close to so many other areas. It's a very easy region to have a 4-day weekend in a totally different culture like Charleston.
Agreed. Also, other than airport access, I don't generally have a need to regularly visit large cities. If that need arises, I suspect there's not much I wouldn't be able to get from Knoxville, Asheville or Greenville. I'm much more interested in access to outdoor sporting/ rural areas. It would be nice to have closer access to the beach, but oh well.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:10 AM

9 posts, read 10,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing to keep in mind on the "access" thing is how close you consider "reasonable access."

If you are looking for cities within a full day's drive or so, true, the Tri-Cities is pretty centrally located. From Bristol, I could leave at 6 AM and be in Philadelphia for a late lunch at 2. Atlanta, Richmond, Washington, and Cincinnati are about five hours away. Nashville and Raleigh are 4-4.5. Charlotte is about 3.5. The VA, NC, and SC beaches are all within a day. I can get to various Midwest cities and parts of Florida, Alabama, Kentucky, etc., in a full day.

If you are looking for <2 hours, it's just Asheville and Knoxville. Within three hours, you have Roanoke, VA (not much), Greenville, SC, and some suburbs of metro Charlotte. IMO, beyond that, you are looking at a hotel stay overnight if you're doing much there at all.
THIS is one of the reason we picked NETN to live. We are so close to a lot of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol