Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 11:44 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times

Advertisements

Rather than create 2 new separate threads, I'm opting to ask two (seemingly) unrelated questions about the tricities region, and Johnson City in particular:

1) Are there any publicly accessible archery ranges in Johnson City, or any of the surrounding towns? I have a really nice 60 yard 24-hour indoor range where I'm currently located and I'm hoping there is something at least remotely comparable in this part of TN. Similarly, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any archery pro shops in the area.

2) I am in my mid-20s and single (male). The presence of the university and demographic data I've seen suggest I hopefully wouldn't have too much difficulty with dating prospects in this area, but I would appreciate confirmation on this from those who live in the area.

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 07:10 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Look up Big Pine Archery Club in Unicoi. Unicoi County is a great place for outdoor recreations of all types.

I'm mid 30s, but I never found dating to be good in this area. Many of the locals are paired up by early 20s, and social circles are sort of closed because many people are locals and have socialized with the same people since school. Johnson City is better in this regard because there are more transplants from the university, Ballad, and the VA.

I left at 25, and came back at 30. I never found a serious relationship with anyone who was a local native. I dated a girl from Africa for a year or so, one from FL, and am in a relationship with someone who lives outside of Asheville now.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the perspective. Asheville is about an hour's drive away it seems like?

Old 07-12-2023, 09:55 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Thanks for the perspective. Asheville is about an hour's drive away it seems like?
Yes, downtown to downtown is a little over an hour each way.

It's just a different culture. Asheville attracts more transplants, is bigger, operates as "one" metro where as the Tri-Cities compete against each other instead of cooperating, and IMO, has far more going on in terms of nightlife, dining, etc., for younger people.

I work for a government in the Asheville area now, and basically split time between the Tri-Cities and Asheville. I still go to Johnson City for some things locally, and it's clearly the best city in the immediate area, but Asheville has a lot more on offer.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Yes, downtown to downtown is a little over an hour each way.

It's just a different culture. Asheville attracts more transplants, is bigger, operates as "one" metro where as the Tri-Cities compete against each other instead of cooperating, and IMO, has far more going on in terms of nightlife, dining, etc., for younger people.

I work for a government in the Asheville area now, and basically split time between the Tri-Cities and Asheville. I still go to Johnson City for some things locally, and it's clearly the best city in the immediate area, but Asheville has a lot more on offer.
Having access to certain ammenities in Asheville would be nice but otherwise I don't think it would be a good fit for me.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:08 AM

9 posts, read 9,984 times
Yeah Asheville is great for dinning and going out but other than that I have no interest. We moved from Seattle and it reminds me too much of all the bad things we wanted to get away from there. We do go over fairly often but are always glad to be back on this side of the mountains

Old 07-13-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreedon View Post
Yeah Asheville is great for dinning and going out but other than that I have no interest. We moved from Seattle and it reminds me too much of all the bad things we wanted to get away from there. We do go over fairly often but are always glad to be back on this side of the mountains
Where would that be again? The Tennessee side?

Old 07-14-2023, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Where would that be again? The Tennessee side?
Yes I live in Johnson City, but drive over to Asheville quite often

Old 07-16-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreedon View Post
Yes I live in Johnson City, but drive over to Asheville quite often
What do you think of Johnson City, compared to where you came from and otherwise?

Old 07-17-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
What do you think of Johnson City, compared to where you came from and otherwise?
They are completely different. It depends on what you are looking for. One is a fairly large city, JC is much smaller. Shopping and restaurants are much less here. The outdoor scenery is similar. Both with mountains and lush and green in Summer. People are much friendlier here in JC compared to Seattle. No one talks to strangers in Seattle. I am married so not looking to date so I am not sure about that aspect. The politics are complete opposite. Left vs Right. For what I was looking for it was an upgrade. The only thing I miss is the variety of restaurants but like I said Asheville is only an hour away. It's 60 miles. The funny thing is it takes me a shorter amount of time to get to Asheville than from where I lived just 17 miles from downtown Seattle because of traffic. Which is another huge positive living here than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol