U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,981 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a position in Bristol VA and we will be re-locating up there from SW FL at the end of July. My in-laws already live there and we have visited quite a few times. They live in Jonesborough but i was wondering where the best place to live in the area is for families. I had heard that Gray was a good place for families. I have a 6 & 10 year old and would like to find a nice neighborhood that is somewhat close to his job and to Johnson City for the shopping. Thanks for any responses
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,582,836 times
Jonesborough is a scenic and very nice place to live, but it would be a long drive to work in Bristol. I would think Piney Flats, Bluff City, or Blountville would be closer and and serve you better. Gray is nice if you work in Johnson City or Kingsport, but it would be a bit of a drive to Bristol every day.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,726,026 times
I live in Johnson City and work in Bristol, I'd prefer Gray to about anywhere as it's a little over 20 mins to Bristol, but Bluff city would be closer. Home prices in Bristol seem to be pretty fair.

Good luck

p.s. where is the job? I'm at the Bristol Regional Medical Center myself

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,378,513 times
Elizabethton is only 21 miles from Bristol....it might be worth checking into. If you want to be closer than that then I would agree that Blountville, or Bluff city would be your best bet. What about living in the Bristol area?

Congratulations on the job!!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Elizabethton is only 21 miles from Bristol....it might be worth checking into. If you want to be closer than that then I would agree that Blountville, or Bluff city would be your best bet. What about living in the Bristol area?

Congratulations on the job!!
You know from earlier posts that no one wants to live in Bristol, though it is ok to work there.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 18,981 times
Thanks for all the responses! The job is with Media General (Bristol Herald Courier) Is Johnson City the only place with all the shopping? I have not been to Kingsport but did not see much on our way from Jonesborough to Bristol. I would like to be somewhat close to my in-laws but also be close enough for work. It only takes about 40 minutes from their house to his work without rush hour traffic though. Also are certain schools better in different areas? Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,850,306 times
All three major cities (Kpt, JC and Bristol [mainly VA]) have about the same shopping. Johnson City's is a little more extensive. They all have Targets, Walmarts, Lowes, Home Depots, Krogers and the like.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,663,840 times
With Kingsports new Food City and all the shops at the new Kingsport Pavilion, I would be willing to bet that the amount of shopping between JC and Kingsport are almost equal.....or at least close. Maybe Colonial heights on the South East side of Kingsport might be a good area for you to look at as it is short access to 81 and the school there is pretty good from what I hear. Not as good as D.B. but not as big either. Kinda depends on what you are needing out of a school.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM

The only problem with Kingsport is that it sometimes smells bad because of Eastman Chemicals.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 33,960 times
Johnson city has the block system in their school system if you are coming from a school system with a block system

we moved from crystal river 2 years ago with 3 kids when we looked into it it would have been quite change for them

they are all well adjusted in the school system my oldest graduate science hill and now my daughter is senior there my 13 yr old went to Indian trail and made friends quickly

there is little league in the city also probably outside the city limits also

city limits are more strict with regulations tho

we also are renting now before jumping into a development but we are looking over the winged deer park area close to everything and still spread out

keep in mind that commuting to bristol during the races can be a real hassle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol