U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,671,733 times

Advertisements

Everytime we get a good amount of rain, downtown Johnson City floods. There are some serious drainage problems in the downtown area. I'm sure glad I don't work in that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 15,718 times
Default Question re: flooding

We are heading to NE TN next week to spend a week or so. We are looking at houses from JC to Kingsport. I've gotten a lot of info from these threads (you guys are the greatest) and the internet.

I'm not kidding myself~we will not be making a decision to move to NE TN based on this one visit, but the odds are it will be our new home in a year or so.

I have managed to find the FEMA flood site, but can't really understand it. Can you tell me if any of the following have flooding (I've heard some horror stories about flooded basements): Colonial Heights, Fordtown, Smith Shoals Subdivision, Flourville, Fourville, Gray

We live on a hill and our biggest threat here is wind (gotta love our Nor'easters). I'm a bit wary about flooding (well, more than just a bit) given all the flooding this country has suffered the past year and the news coverage it's received.

Any assistance on this subject would be appreciated. I've search the threads but have not come across anything that clearly describes the locations or how heavy the flooding is for any specific area.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,001,966 times
Perhaps the best thing to do is ask your realtor to advise you on whether there's flood insurance on any property you might be interested in. Nowadays it seems that flood insurance is required by many mortgage lenders. But then again, we've owned a downtown property for 13 years and never had a problem with flooding (which is why this thread interested me). We obtained a mortgage several years ago - no flood insurance required. Then last year, suddenly it was - due to FEMA stating we were in a flood plain. I suspect that financially hard-hit insurance companies had a hand in this after Katrina and other disasters.

As to downtown flooding; there was a meeting last night to discuss this and an engineering study presented has determined ways to resolve some of the problems. Ancient, failing infrastructure and 2 creeks running underground, right through downtown don't help the situation. Hopefully, some of the solutions to this problem will be approved by the city commission. This (the flooding) *may* be one reason downtown JC's revival has not moved along as quickly as it should have. There certainly are many DT supporters and prop.owners who've worked hard for many years to make it happen!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,392,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaB View Post
I have managed to find the FEMA flood site, but can't really understand it. Can you tell me if any of the following have flooding (I've heard some horror stories about flooded basements): Colonial Heights, Fordtown, Smith Shoals Subdivision, Flourville, Fourville, Gray
Because the major rivers are dam-controlled and due to the hilly terrain, most flooding in NE Tenn. occurs from overflowing creeks. I've never heard of any flooding issues in any of the areas you listed, but I don't doubt that some localized spots have experienced problems.

Google Maps' terrain feature can be very helpful for checking out prospective homes or home sites, especially in getting a feel for the "lay of the land" in specific areas and in determining where the main creeks are located (Kendrick Creek in Colonial Heights, Sinking Creek in Fordtown, Snyder Creek in Flourville, Ford Creek & Cedar Creek in Gray).

Hope y'all enjoy your visit, just holler if you have additional questions!

Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,671,733 times
The plans discussed to improve the flooding situation downtown called for five projects to be done over a 25 year period and they're still just talking. I'll be pushing up daisies in Jonesborough long before they really accomplish anything. They're working on TN time.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 PM

22 posts, read 68,737 times
As stated previously in this thread most issues regarding flooding in the area are due to creek overflows. With all the new subdivisions some problems are occuring with drainage basins overflowing but that is few and far between. The problems in downtown JC will continue to occur until a massive project is started to redo ancient culverts in the area. The biggest problem with JC is a lack of a centralized downtown- like many cities in the south there is a new downtown and an old downtown. The area effected by flooding is in the older section and the newer section with First Tennessee and the other taller bank buildings are mostly on high ground.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,718 times
Default Back from our tri-city visit

Just returned from our Tri-City visit. Stayed a week and were sorry to have to come home to NY! We have a much better understanding of the area and I wanted to say thank you for the responses to my questions.

Of interest: We were around the Boone's Creek area and saw some houses for sale. Were told they were on TVA land, which meant that some of the land (back/front yard) could possibly be flooded, if the TVA moved their "markers". Haven't really investigated this yet, but it's something else to look into.

We've pretty much decided that the Colonial Heights area fits our needs, but will be doing more research on the area.

We found the Tri-city area to be remarkably like upstate NY...nice people, many stores, lots of mountains and valleys. Biggest difference: the sheer number and diversity of churches..or perhaps, their locations on main roads.

And, the gas prices are about .35 to .45 per gallon cheaper than NY!

We cannot wait to come back down.

Thanks again, to all.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 20,137,890 times
Thanks for the trip report VirginaB, glad you had a nice trip. I agree, Colonial Heights is a nice area. I like that Warriors Path State park is there, very nice lake side park.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,001,966 times
Starting out this was an interesting thread. Why is it that the downtown flooding issue consistently gets pushed to the back burner? There have been multiple, excellent solutions offered and meetings galore on this issue - and granted, there has been some movement from the city (such as the warehouse removal) but still NO big push. So, it was great to see an opinion letter in the Press about this! (Also happy to see Letters to the Editor again in the on-line Press)..

Here it is under 'City Leaders continue to ignore city's biggest need'...
JohnsonCityPress.com - Opinion - Johnson City, TN

Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

510 posts, read 1,246,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaB View Post
We are heading to NE TN next week to spend a week or so. We are looking at houses from JC to Kingsport. I've gotten a lot of info from these threads (you guys are the greatest) and the internet.

I'm not kidding myself~we will not be making a decision to move to NE TN based on this one visit, but the odds are it will be our new home in a year or so.

We live on a hill and our biggest threat here is wind (gotta love our Nor'easters). I'm a bit wary about flooding (well, more than just a bit) given all the flooding this country has suffered the past year and the news coverage it's received.

Any assistance on this subject would be appreciated. I've search the threads but have not come across anything that clearly describes the locations or how heavy the flooding is for any specific area.

The Tennessee Property Data web-site
Tennessee Property Data Home Page now has the FEMA flood hazard area available on the map page. It can be brought up by selecting the obviously named button on the map view. You can display either very high resolution aerial photos or a simple map showing the property boundaries and the flood zone is high-lighted in blue. Map says "0.2 percent annual chance of flood" labeling the zone- sounds like 500 year flood event boundary.

I live in Colonial Heights an the only problem that I can recall has been with the properties immediately adjoining Kendrick Creek. This flood zone is appropriately indicated on the map. Back between 1970 and 1975 we had a big rain event in this area and many homes along Kendrick Creek suffered some flooding. A lot of other creeks in this region also had flooding issues. A contributing factor on Kendrick Creek was that the residential developers had used "inadequately sized" tiles and back-fill for the street crossings of the creek. These became dams that were faulted for most of the problem. The county replaced these "dams" with bridges and there has been no flooding issues since.

I chose to live on top of a hill and I can relate to the wind issues but that seems to happen everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol