U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 15,989,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The Tri-Cities just doesn't offer much for a metro of its size and there are far better places to live in TN.
That is your opinion, but as I've said before, other people may have different priorities and desires. Just because this area doesn't meet your needs and wants doesn't mean it won't be exactly what someone else desires.
Of course people need to do their homework and visit first if possible, make sure this is really what they want.
Some of us did knowingly CHOOSE to move here and have been quite happy with that choice.

@SickofNC- somewhere on this forum is a thread or two comparing the three cities, I'll see if I can possibly dig it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM

28,477 posts, read 21,364,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Well in my case, I have family in NC so I'm making some effort to stay within easy reach for them. I can work from home, so no major job concerns. I may need to come back to the main office once a month or so for team meetings - but even if I end up getting a motel room several times a year, that's cheaper than NC income taxes are.

As for shopping, I bought most of my clothes and furniture at Thrift stores, outlet/overstock type places or CraigsList anyhow. Yeah Charlotte has more entertainment venues, but I'm not a pub crawler and in reality most days I just come home and get on the internet. Really don't give a hoot about professional sports and what the uptown teams are doing.

I guess it just comes down to priorities. Many of the people who stop by this section of city-data are looking for safer schools for their children, or land to put animals on, etc.

I have given Knoxville some thought, but it's a bit far to return and visit family easily.
If you can work from home, you are far more privileged than the residents of this area, many of whom are indigent and are likely working for a fraction of the income and occupational prestige that you have coming from a telecommuting position based out of Charlotte. The long and short of it is you are STILL taking advantage of the big city amenities (the position, the ability to work from home and move to another area) that residents of this area simply do not have, because few if any employers based here will offer telecommuting. You'd likely get laughed out of the interview for even mentioning it.

Your salary would likely decline substantially and you'd have fewer perks working for most of our main employers than you have now. That is why I am not a fan of people who still have substantial financial ties to other areas moving here - they simply do not live the lifestyle most of us indigent locals are forced to live. You are more dependent financially on Charlotte and its businesses than you are to the TRI and its businesses.

If you are looking for a safe area, keep looking - the Tri-Cities is far higher than average in virtually any crime statistic you will find. Drug abuse, poverty, domestic issues, and unemployment and all the attendant social ills are rampant here. Even though you may not be involved in it, it is likely to at least inconvenience you at some point. The local news media are finally starting to cover these problems (the Kingsport Times-News in particular) because the problems are so severe they can no longer be swept under the rug.

Sure, Knoxville is a little farther away, but unless you have lived in a backwater area like the Tri-Cities, you will probably be here for awhile and then want a good or service that was easily available to you in Charlotte, and then start kicking yourself. You don't find these things out as a tourist visiting the city for a day or even a week. I am still missing things I had in Des Moines, IA that are not available here, even though the metros are actually of similar size by the number of people.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 09-24-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 15,989,410 times
Found the thread, hope you find it a little bit useful although it's old and just a bit outdated
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...ml#post8042591

Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 AM

691 posts, read 1,276,290 times
Quote:

If you are looking for a safe area, keep looking - the Tri-Cities is far higher than average in virtually any crime statistic you will find. Drug abuse, poverty, domestic issues, and unemployment and all the attendant social ills are rampant here. Even though you may not be involved in it, it is likely to at least inconvenience you at some point. The local news media are finally starting to cover these problems (the Kingsport Times-News in particular) because the problems are so severe they can no longer be swept under the rug.
The JC Police Department's clearance rate (making an arrest when they know about a crime) is 83%, when the national average is 47%. For property offenses where the national average is 18% clearance rate, Johnson City police clears 43% of these crimes. The annual report is available at: http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/uploads...nualreport.pdf

Many crimes, including drug crimes, is only included in the official crime statistics if they are cleared by an arrest. So, much of the reason that the Johnson City has so much "drug crime" is that the police department is so effective at catching them! I guess you would rather live in an area with an ineffective police department, where the incompetence of the police makes the city look safer on the official statistics.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,613,782 times
I'll grant Emigrations his point that you can discover later on, that a small community may lack services that matter more than you originally thought.

I lived that once - moved in my early 20s to a small resort town in another state about the size of Blountville or Gray. Sure, I liked it at initially, being able swim in the lake there or go hiking at my convenience. The town had essential things like a grocery store, laundrymat and post office. But after about 8 months I wanted more to do. So I moved to a city of 300,000 about 40 miles away, and continued commuting to the job I had back then.

Technically I am "from" east Tenn for what it's worth. My parents lived in Oak Ridge in the 60s. But we moved away when I was about 3 years old because ... (surprise) ... it was so hard for them to find good paying jobs.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 4,453 times
Quote:
Why choose the Tri-Cities over better areas of TN? Virtually every area of TN has a better job market than the TRI and has more in the way of dining, shopping, etc, and most areas have quick access to the country. A person could live in Wilson or Smith County TN outside of Nashville or areas outside of Knoxville and Chattanooga and still have access to the better incomes, healthier job market, and amenities of the larger city, while still being in a small town and not having to face the hustle and bustle.

The Tri-Cities just doesn't offer much for a metro of its size and there are far better places to live in TN.
I like the mountains plus I have family in North Ga including my parents and grandparent that is left. I have been through the tri cities several times and I like them. Go Bristol motor speedway for NASCAR which I love...not far from Knoxville for UT games..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That is your opinion, but as I've said before, other people may have different priorities and desires. Just because this area doesn't meet your needs and wants doesn't mean it won't be exactly what someone else desires.
Of course people need to do their homework and visit first if possible, make sure this is really what they want.
Some of us did knowingly CHOOSE to move here and have been quite happy with that choice.

@SickofNC- somewhere on this forum is a thread or two comparing the three cities, I'll see if I can possibly dig it up.
Thank You.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 36,857 times
BTW, I love this post!

My dh and I just moved to this area, we are between Kingsport and Rogersville. I have lived in Illinois my whole life and decided at this time in our life we needed to get out of ILLINOIS. We did research retiree friendly states and one day drove to Kingsport and started looking for a home.

So happy to get out of Illinois!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 PM

982 posts, read 1,457,858 times
I agree with Emigrations. The Tri-Cities are terrible. A complete dead-end culturally and economically.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,776,331 times
Not entirely. I found a lot of culture in Johnson City. Unfortunately, what I also found was a government structure and composition that completely cut off that culture, preventing it from rising up to the top in order to make sound governance decisions.

It's telling that Johnson City has had the Johnson City Folk Festival and the Southern Appalachian International Film Festival, and they let both of them move to other cities. This is just within the last 5 years. Johnson City government is so, so, so far behind the national thought patterns that they're not even on the radar. The developments that are happening downtown and in the ETSU corridor are all because of the Washington County Economic Development Council, private businesspeople and other concerned citizens. Phil Pindzola talks about "making things pretty," JC Government just says "huh?" and everyone moves on to discussing the next suburban strip mall concept in North Johnson City.

I live in another city now (Memphis) that has similar organizational and structural issues - a city brimming with the desire for change, and the leadership is totally and completely incompetent to recognize and implement that change. We now have an urban-dwelling mayor that sort of "gets it" with regards to density, greenways, and small business development. Hopefully someone like that will take over for Pete Peterson in JC.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM

982 posts, read 1,457,858 times
The changes at ETSU are horrendous and serve only to line the pockets of a few people while bilking students. Johnson City and any constituent part of it is horrendously planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol