U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 AM

691 posts, read 1,275,615 times

Advertisements

The changes at ETSU are incredible! We finally have a president who gets it. Soon, there will be a parking garage complete which will end the decades-old problem of parking (they never really had a parking issue, just a issue of students that didn't want to walk from the far lots), a new football stadium on campus which will bring 7-10,000 people to campus on football saturdays and serve so many other good things, a new performing arts center hopefully across from campus which will help bring cultural events to the city, etc. And most importantly, the academics are improving for most departments, not just the medical sciences.

Jab is correct about downtown, it is being fueled by business people and concerned citizens, which is exactly the way it should be!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM

982 posts, read 1,457,316 times
A new football stadium when the old one can suffice. Bringing back football, which didn't succeed before for financial reasons during a time in which things were much better economically, and having students bear the ridiculous cost of it all. And how are the academics improving? In the time I've been there, it has been a steady slide downwards. And they lost accreditation for one of their programs and tried to lie about it!

They are shysters that are bilking people for money to benefit a few people. And it will all come crashing down in a few years when everyone realizes what a damn scam it was, but only after costing millions upon millions of dollars.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM

691 posts, read 1,275,615 times
Ah, your just ticked about football. Well to each their own. I am a now a donor to the university only because of their decision to bring back football, so we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

The loss of accreditation was due to 1) lack of documentation of student outcomes, 2) documentation of diversity in faculty and curriculum, and 3) ETSU’s lack of an independent department of mass communications. None of those has anything to do with low quality education. 75% of colleges are not accredited by that agency.

Everyone sees life through their own viewpoint and experiences. My experiences with the academics have been positive, and my viewpoint on the value of athletics is different than yours. But whatever your view of football- please understand that since ETSU decided to bring it back, there is no way to play in the dome again, ever.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM

15,760 posts, read 28,838,532 times
Mod Note: And how this has anything to do with moving in or out of the TRI I don't have a clue unless you are going to do construction on the new football stadium or coach the team.

Haters are gonna hate, lovers are gonna love. Pure and simple. It's easy for people to see the patterns on this site for those negative nellies and Pollyanna types both. Unfortunately, comments range in maturity and perspective and that is probably where the difficulty on a forum comes in. The truth is that this region is all things. People are all different. We all have different needs and wants at different times in our lives. This region has different things to offer in different areas of the region. Times change, people change. There's bad and good people here, bad and good decisions being made and hindsight will always be 20/20.

Back on topic please.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:37 PM

330 posts, read 936,259 times
We came here because of my wife's job, and couldn't be happier. We love the outdoors, the climate, and the people. We left money on the table in Columbia SC in order to escape the crime. She had job offers in Knoxville, Richmond VA, and Greenville SC. Not impressed with any of those places (especially Richmond, good grief, what a dump). I know that some people are down on this area (and it's lack of cuuuulture )but it's fits us quite well.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,772,635 times
Quote:
Jab is correct about downtown, it is being fueled by business people and concerned citizens, which is exactly the way it should be!
I somewhat agree. Government can be a strong third leg though that makes the renaissance even stronger. And to be fair, JC government is doing its part downtown (new farmers market, new amazing urban park, major major infrastructure upgrades, new streetscapes)

Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,646,822 times
Default Where are you from, are you happy in the Tri City area?

I just ran across this and it's old, but I thought if there were any new people on here, they may want to make a comment. I find it interesting what other people have to say. I think the area seems great, but I haven't yet lived there and like to hear the opinions of people that moved from other states.

I spoke with a woman yesterday at the doctors and she said she just came back from E. TN and it was the worst 4 years of her life and I'd say she was about 70 years old! She said she hated the rain and the people were all back stabbers! I told her I thought the people were very nice there and she said, no way! She said you had better be Baptist or they want nothing to do with you.
She likes the desert dryness.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,543,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I just ran across this and it's old, but I thought if there were any new people on here, they may want to make a comment. I find it interesting what other people have to say. I think the area seems great, but I haven't yet lived there and like to hear the opinions of people that moved from other states.

I spoke with a woman yesterday at the doctors and she said she just came back from E. TN and it was the worst 4 years of her life and I'd say she was about 70 years old! She said she hated the rain and the people were all back stabbers! I told her I thought the people were very nice there and she said, no way! She said you had better be Baptist or they want nothing to do with you.
That is where I am considering as a place to retire to, in the next 4-7 years. I haven't been there yet, but will make a visit first and check out the area. I am most interested in the Bristol or Mountain City area. Being from Texas, I must say the rain sounds very nice to me...we are in severe drought and don't see rain very often.

Luckily I'm Baptist, so maybe I wouldn't have to be pulling knives out of my back, like the woman you spoke to.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM

116 posts, read 137,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post

I've found everyone I've dealt with so far to be really nice but I'm having a lot of second thoughts about this move to be honest. I'm just not sure, its like a gut feeling thing. I'm wondering if being closer to Nashville wouldn't bring in a different flavor. Or maybe I'm just not southern at all and can't get passed things. I don't particularly like that when I talk to someone about real estate or something that they talk my ear off for like an hour. One guy told me that if I move I better be prepared to wait - ie plan for what I want months ahead of time and that things move SLOW - Yikes. I've heard about the backstabbing from my realtor. They said that the churches can be backstabbing, the people, all of it. Im starting to worry, I have to be honest

Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 PM

28,430 posts, read 21,326,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poety View Post
I've found everyone I've dealt with so far to be really nice but I'm having a lot of second thoughts about this move to be honest. I'm just not sure, its like a gut feeling thing. I'm wondering if being closer to Nashville wouldn't bring in a different flavor. Or maybe I'm just not southern at all and can't get passed things. I don't particularly like that when I talk to someone about real estate or something that they talk my ear off for like an hour. One guy told me that if I move I better be prepared to wait - ie plan for what I want months ahead of time and that things move SLOW - Yikes. I've heard about the backstabbing from my realtor. They said that the churches can be backstabbing, the people, all of it. Im starting to worry, I have to be honest
This area is not the honeymoon a lot of people think it is. Yes, it is beautiful. Yes, the weather is a lot better than most places. There are a lot of problems that are not apparent at first blush.

Yes, if you're not a Southern Baptist, you are outside the norm. Will people discriminate against you for that? Probably not, but you will ALWAYS be known as an outsider.

Locals love to talk - it's the way Southerners are. If someone is wearing you out, just politely decline to talk more, get up, and leave.

Everything does move slowly locally - look at the pace of local government - no one really gets in a hurry to do anything.

Nashville is getting more transplants, and it would be more reasonable to people not from the South, but it's Southern culture will diminish because of all the transplants. If these trends continue, Nashville will end up like NoVA - a formerly Southern area that has no distinct culture.

People need to be extremely careful about moving to the Tri-Cities, as these are insulated small towns that are not accustomed to large amounts of outsiders, and frankly, I think these outsiders are a net negative overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol