U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 AM
 
141 posts, read 259,718 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

I wanted to add something here. In a lot of these comments previous, I read a lot of judgement. The fact is the people of the region are not perfect by any means, they are humans just like any one of us. Folks like to socialize, they like to talk, some like to gossip, and perhaps judge and assign labels. No different than many of the folks posting these very comments here.

If ya think or aspire to re-locate to utopia......ya better just keep looking. And send me a PM when ya find it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
667 posts, read 823,545 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
People need to be extremely careful about moving to the Tri-Cities, as these are insulated small towns that are not accustomed to large amounts of outsiders, and frankly, I think these outsiders are a net negative overall.
I agree the area as a whole is fairly insulated but the 3 main cities, especially Johnson City, seem to be fairly open to outsiders and in fact contain a fair number of transplants. I really think transplants can breathe life into a city and help make it a better place. Johnson City has changed immensely in recent years and much of this is because of the diversity outsiders bring. I have even noticed that many people involved in local community development groups and non-profits are from outside the area. Sometimes I think it takes an outsiders perspective to understand what potential there is here. Those who have lived here their entire lives can tend to be a bit jaded.

In terms of the backstabbing, slow pace, and Southern Baptists, I am originally from Ohio and honestly, I don't think people are any nicer here. Yes they are friendlier to your face but not necessarily any incer. In the 8 years I have been in Johnson City I have never been asked to go to church. It really is not that big of an issue at all. Again, though, this is in an urban area.

There is a huge divide in the Tri Cities between the rural and urban areas, particularly Johnson City. You are going to encounter the more stereotypical Appalachia in the rural areas but stay within Johnson City, you might go all day only hearing a handful of southern accents and you get more of the "modern Appalachian" culture of farm-to-table sustainability, art, and neo-traditional music.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
 
116 posts, read 136,944 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I agree the area as a whole is fairly insulated but the 3 main cities, especially Johnson City, seem to be fairly open to outsiders and in fact contain a fair number of transplants. I really think transplants can breathe life into a city and help make it a better place. Johnson City has changed immensely in recent years and much of this is because of the diversity outsiders bring. I have even noticed that many people involved in local community development groups and non-profits are from outside the area. Sometimes I think it takes an outsiders perspective to understand what potential there is here. Those who have lived here their entire lives can tend to be a bit jaded.

In terms of the backstabbing, slow pace, and Southern Baptists, I am originally from Ohio and honestly, I don't think people are any nicer here. Yes they are friendlier to your face but not necessarily any incer. In the 8 years I have been in Johnson City I have never been asked to go to church. It really is not that big of an issue at all. Again, though, this is in an urban area.

There is a huge divide in the Tri Cities between the rural and urban areas, particularly Johnson City. You are going to encounter the more stereotypical Appalachia in the rural areas but stay within Johnson City, you might go all day only hearing a handful of southern accents and you get more of the "modern Appalachian" culture of farm-to-table sustainability, art, and neo-traditional music.
Excellent post - thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,384 posts, read 21,285,369 times
Reputation: 34808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I agree the area as a whole is fairly insulated but the 3 main cities, especially Johnson City, seem to be fairly open to outsiders and in fact contain a fair number of transplants. I really think transplants can breathe life into a city and help make it a better place. Johnson City has changed immensely in recent years and much of this is because of the diversity outsiders bring. I have even noticed that many people involved in local community development groups and non-profits are from outside the area. Sometimes I think it takes an outsiders perspective to understand what potential there is here. Those who have lived here their entire lives can tend to be a bit jaded.

In terms of the backstabbing, slow pace, and Southern Baptists, I am originally from Ohio and honestly, I don't think people are any nicer here. Yes they are friendlier to your face but not necessarily any incer. In the 8 years I have been in Johnson City I have never been asked to go to church. It really is not that big of an issue at all. Again, though, this is in an urban area.

There is a huge divide in the Tri Cities between the rural and urban areas, particularly Johnson City. You are going to encounter the more stereotypical Appalachia in the rural areas but stay within Johnson City, you might go all day only hearing a handful of southern accents and you get more of the "modern Appalachian" culture of farm-to-table sustainability, art, and neo-traditional music.
Agreed on most of your points, but I don't think the transplants are helping. Most of these people are retirees and they are not as economically active as younger people. They aren't working and generally aren't creating jobs or businesses - about all the growth is within health care and retail/food service work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
12,372 posts, read 15,949,690 times
Reputation: 29823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Most of these people are retirees and they are not as economically active as younger people.
Stats to back that, or just your observations?
American FactFinder - Results *
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Kingsport, TN
1,697 posts, read 6,150,204 times
Reputation: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Yes, if you're not a Southern Baptist, you are outside the norm. Will people discriminate against you for that? Probably not, but you will ALWAYS be known as an outsider.
That's a statistically false claim.

According to the 2010 Congregational Metro Membership Reports by The Association of Religion Data Archives, approximately 55% of area residents qualify as "congregational adherents" who regularly attend church services. And of those who are adherents, 55% are not Southern Baptists.

So while it's accurate to say that Southern Baptist is the dominant denomination here, they still only represent 25% of our total population.

Anecdotally, I grew up in a small Presbyterian church in Kingsport and among family members and many friends of different denominations, I've never heard of anyone that's experienced any sort of church-based ostracization in any aspect of their lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 PM
 
141 posts, read 259,718 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Agreed on most of your points, but I don't think the transplants are helping. Most of these people are retirees and they are not as economically active as younger people. They aren't working and generally aren't creating jobs or businesses - about all the growth is within health care and retail/food service work.
But you're wrong. Just because they may be retired and no longer actively working, they are spending money locally. These retirees are building houses, buying land or existing housing, purchasing gas and utilities, clothing, food, and spending money freely on entertainment. They are spending money just like any long time "natural born" resident, maybe more.

How you can say "they aren't creating jobs or businesses" is really pretty ignorant on your part. They spend and support the local business community. Many of these same retirees are building new homes costing well over $200,000...you think they buy building materials from out of state? or the carpenters, electricians, roofers, plumbers, and other crafts hired or paid to work come from out of state too?

And in fact, they probably pay more in state income tax than many a long time, gainfully employed "homie" residents as TN exempts wages from taxation, yet retirees with substantial savings, interest income and/or capital gains pay a flat rate 6% TN state tax rate.
You really haven't a clue....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 AM
 
503 posts, read 822,505 times
Reputation: 410
Interest income on what? Not savings accounts at banks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,384 posts, read 21,285,369 times
Reputation: 34808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
That's a statistically false claim.

According to the 2010 Congregational Metro Membership Reports by The Association of Religion Data Archives, approximately 55% of area residents qualify as "congregational adherents" who regularly attend church services. And of those who are adherents, 55% are not Southern Baptists.

So while it's accurate to say that Southern Baptist is the dominant denomination here, they still only represent 25% of our total population.

Anecdotally, I grew up in a small Presbyterian church in Kingsport and among family members and many friends of different denominations, I've never heard of anyone that's experienced any sort of church-based ostracization in any aspect of their lives.
Looking at your own data here, Southern Baptists alone (I'm guessing this doesn't include all the independent/free-will Baptist churches you see around) have about 75k adherents, more than the next two largest denominations combined. If this large of a plurality can't set the norm, then I don't know what can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
But you're wrong. Just because they may be retired and no longer actively working, they are spending money locally. These retirees are building houses, buying land or existing housing, purchasing gas and utilities, clothing, food, and spending money freely on entertainment. They are spending money just like any long time "natural born" resident, maybe more.

How you can say "they aren't creating jobs or businesses" is really pretty ignorant on your part. They spend and support the local business community. Many of these same retirees are building new homes costing well over $200,000...you think they buy building materials from out of state? or the carpenters, electricians, roofers, plumbers, and other crafts hired or paid to work come from out of state too?

And in fact, they probably pay more in state income tax than many a long time, gainfully employed "homie" residents as TN exempts wages from taxation, yet retirees with substantial savings, interest income and/or capital gains pay a flat rate 6% TN state tax rate.
You really haven't a clue....
I was clear that what job growth we do have is coming in mostly retail, food service, and some health care fields. The fact that wealthy retirees from up north are causing Pal's or Target to hire a few more low-paid, front line workers due to increased business or more CNAs isn't much of a stimulus.

When people retire, they tend to spend less than they did in their working years. It's a fundamental concept of retirement. Is some wealthy New Jersey retiree probably going to be more active than a fry cook at Pal's? Absolutely, but they aren't going to be as active as a native young couple with decent jobs, buying and fixing up that first home, buying baby supplies, having two cars, etc.

The Hall tax applies to anyone who meets its conditions. It doesn't have anything to do with where you came from.

People are generally not moving to the Tri-Cities for quality work, like you'd see in Austin, Nashville, or any job center. They are coming to wind down, not pick up, their lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
12,372 posts, read 15,949,690 times
Reputation: 29823
You don't want older transplants because they don't spend enough and only create low wage jobs, you don't want younger transplants because they take jobs away from the natives.
You complain the only jobs are retail and fast food and then complain the area doesn't have enough upscale shopping and dining.
We don't have the population to support the kinds of big city amenities you want, yet you don't want to see people move to the area and you discourage almost everyone who comes to this board looking for info.
It doesn't make much sense to hate on transplants and complain about how stagnant the area is at the same time.
(Reminds me of the old chicken and egg quandary, which came first, the people or the amenities?)

What exactly would you like to see happen in this area? Young wealthy transplants who bring lots of jobs only allowed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top