U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM

141 posts, read 260,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
No reason to apologize.
Well I was a bit arrogant in my earlier response......maybe I need to back down on the coffee intake a touch
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
After living in several other cities I came to the Tri-Cities from Virginia Beach but previously living in several other cities since growing up in SW Virginia for a smaller city atmosphere and to be closer to home. After listening to all the complaints on the board, I’m not sure why people think it's different anywhere else. I'm not sure what type of jobs people think are available in Nashville or Charlotte or anywhere else, they'd be qualified for that don't exist here, but why not move there if that area provides that opportunity! Unfortunately, my opinion is that low-paying service jobs dominated by national corporations are becoming thenorm all across America. It's so sad so many people these days blindly support large corporations claiming to have saved a penny. In a few more years the only company left in business will be Walmart and Kroger and you'll only be able to buy gas from Shell or Exxon. If you're interested in technology maybe you can sell cell phones for Verizon or AT&T, or repair cable lines for Comcast or Charter. But my point is, all over the country it's the multi-billion dollar corporations that are putting small business owners out of business. They can then hire the former business owner for minimum wage, and we only have ourselves to blame. This is a common result everywhere I have lived, not just here. People really like to complain about the jobs and economy and demand politicians solve the problem but their actual spending habits prove they support the system moving further in that direction.

If the complaint is about Baptists, I assume you couldn't live anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line or in the Heartland. And if you go north you would probably have the same complaints about Catholicism, Judaism, or Episcopalians. Out West, you probably wouldn't be able to tolerate the LDS church. Of course, at least you're not living in a country where you're classified as Muslim or executed...

The only way to beat the stats, IMO, is to get a good education or to open your own business. I believe this area provides opportunity, but it's not a guarantee to success. You can go to ETSU and gain preferential admissions to Medical, Pharmacy, Law school, etc. or pick up a trade and make a fair living. But you still have to make the grades and likely are willing to leave the area at some point regardless of what you do.

I disagree that people only come here to retire. The area is surrounded bymore rural areas and there are thousands of young people coming here for "more" opportunity whether they come to ETSU and stay or they come directly to find work. Unfortunately, as I expect healthcare jobs in the region to suffer in the next few years I expect the region as a whole will. ETSU will also lose some revenue to community colleges which will be free to many students. Many coal mines surrounding the Tri-cities have also shut down recently so those folks will no longer be here shopping and eating out on the weekends.

I suspect in the coming years this area will continue to attract people like myself that want some of the amenities of larger cities, but are not interested in dealing with the big city headaches that larger areas offer including traffic, downtown parking, much more expensive real estate, a lack of trees, etc. This area still offers opportunity and I truly believe, after living in several cities, that a lot of the "grass is greener on the other side" folks would have the same complaints about other areas.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 PM

503 posts, read 823,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Well I was a bit arrogant in my earlier response......maybe I need to back down on the coffee intake a touch
Water off a duck's back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol