Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 72,680 times

Advertisements

my wifes family is from east tn/sw va so thats how we ended up here. SARAH we just moved from Wilmington, NC lived over at the college 2 yrs and then to castle hayne for 1.5 yrs. miss that place everyday. i myself am a beach bum and the wifes heart is in the mtns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
Yes, indeed, MBM there are some real old gems out there just waiting to be restored (sort of like CT houses but those are generally 'done')..
That's what we love doing (our business actually), although for a change our Limestone house was pretty nice already - aside from duct work eaten up by critters and a side roof that started leaking soon ater we moved in!

As to Colchester, I had a friend when I was in high school in Norwalk whose parents owned a weekend house there. I went there several times until, I *think* it was claimed by eminent domain for some kind of flood control?? Does that sound familiar?
As to Wilmington poster, we really, really loved Wilmington and the beach and the intracoastal waterway and the downtown - we lived in an old Greek Revival in the historic district, 4th Street and Nun that we restored. But the draw of these incredibly beautiful TN mountains proved too strong so we moved here full-time! I now feel insecure and unhappy when I'm not in sight of the mountains! They are soul restorative... But my son was made a surfer while in 'Wilmy' so returns there as often as he can..

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Maybe someday I will be able to fill this out.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
My sister moved to the Tri-Cities from the Treasure Coast of Florida and my mom followed from the Southern California desert. They said they wanted a little land, a pleasant place to raise two girls (my nieces) and mild four seasons. I hear the seasons (especially this one) are a little less mild than they would like, but the scenery is nice and the traffic is basically non-existent.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM

92 posts, read 316,942 times
I'm also from CT! I grew up in New Canaan. I met my husband on the internet and he lived here so I moved down 12 years ago! I'm still a city girl at heart so I still love CT. My parents still live in the same house and several of my siblings still live in New Canaan so I get to go back often. (I'm in Boones Creek now, btw.)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlcompanygirl View Post
I'm also from CT! I grew up in New Canaan. I met my husband on the internet and he lived here so I moved down 12 years ago! I'm still a city girl at heart so I still love CT. My parents still live in the same house and several of my siblings still live in New Canaan so I get to go back often. (I'm in Boones Creek now, btw.)
Welcome. Glad to have ya as a neighbor again.

Sarasal, I can't believe you actually know where Colchester is hahahahhaah.
The lake that I grew up at is only 7 miles out of town, but unless you are aiming for the lake, you would have no idea it was there.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Wow! We need to check how many Connecticut folks are members of this forum. I think there're a bunch!

This is real 'girl' stuff but a long time ago I always went to New Canaan (a typically charming New England town)with my friends to buy prom dresses at a really nice dress store there! Can't remember the name but I think it had been there for a very long time.. I grew up in Norwalk and I can also remember going to football games in New Canaan..
*All* my family, my sister, aunts, uncles and cousins moved out of the area some years ago and now they're mostly concentrated in the Charlotte area. I have good friends in Southbury and Woodbury - farther up the line and we occasionally go for a visit. We're builders here (it's in our blood) so what we've missed most is the architecture - the beautiful village greens lined with historic old houses. But that's why I love being in Limestone, between Jonesborough and Greenville's charming old downtowns. Don't miss a whole lot else (defintely NOT the house prices) and we've become very attached to NE TN!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Guess that make's 3 Connecticut Yankees and counting....
Any other's lurking out there? (I thought I'd read about others elsewhere on the forum)

Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 PM

35 posts, read 97,094 times
Default What made you move here?

What drew you to the tri-cities area? Job offer? Schools? I'm just curious what brings people to the area.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:59 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Weather + Scenery + Slower pace of the area. Job came with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol