U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM

96 posts, read 525,886 times

Advertisements

I plan on retiring to Tri-Cities ( probably Johnson City ) area within the next 18 months. I intend to buy a Home but until I find the right Home to buy; I would like to rent a Home for 6 months or whatever in order to wait until I find the Home I want to buy + insure that I want to buy in the community that I am living in.
Herein lies my dilemna......I can seem to find any websites/ realtors that offer or specialize in Home Rentals in the Tri-Cities area ?
Either aparments rentals are offered or home sales are offered but I can't find anyone offering Home Rentals ?
Have others experienced this same difficulty in finding available Home Rentals in Tri-Cities ? .....If so, how did you resolve this difficulty ?
Surely realtors must understand that it would be in their best interests to offer Home Rentals in order that prospective Home Buyers ( such as myself ) can move to the area, rent a home & start looking for homes to buy shortly thereafter ?
I would be more than willing to pay a fee to a realtor for a Rental Home & I would be more than willing to pay the owner of the Home that I am renting from a fee to break a lease if I could find the Home I want to buy.
I can't think of any other way to retire to an area & look for a Home to buy other than renting a home first & then buying a home second ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 PM

16,043 posts, read 30,191,773 times
What size of house do you want and what part of the area? Any and all information that you can share will be of use. That will help us help you.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,398,030 times
I see your still doing that ever elusive search for rentals, unfortunately as MB stated in an earlier post there’s no money in it for realtors, were does that leave one, resources for rental property are scarce and the few I have seen aren’t even worth the click to pull the page up.

I have been looking for the same just a tad bit southwest of JC, tried the realtor game before these posts came up and got nowhere real fast, I got the you want what routine and a quick sorry but if you ain’t buyin I ain’t talkin deal, caught between a rock and a hard place, I thought well ok I’ll just jump in the ol car and go huntin for rental signs, well after close to an hour of driving around watching the gas gauge in between looking for rentals that died a quick non productive death, newspapers work at times if the city is large enough but were I’m relocating to isn’t so that idea went out the window also, word o mouth yea that’s a good deal but you can’t stand on main street and ask every stranger that passes by, city offices, chamber commerce nope wash out there too, I even went so far as to drive a grid pattern in certain areas I was interested in still came up empty.

Sooo perhaps as in the great wizard of oz the powers to be behind the curtain here at CD may figure out a way to put a rental section in each state forum as I’m sure the problem is in every state, we already have classifieds but haven’t seen much there, the rental section here it points you back to classifieds, Craigslist is somewhat limited to certain areas, now if you want to rent out the high priced places sure you can find those but this fellas pockets just ain’t deep enough for that.

Maybe we should just start a new website dedicated to rental relocation properties, gotta be some money in it, but yet if there was surely there are some out there already, with anything and everything on the web, the entire world at ones fingertips, but yet finding affordable decent rental housing just isn’t there, gotta be a secret to it or something.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 20,136,475 times
You folks might be in luck after all. I hear through the grape vine that there may soon be a company with a web site just to help those relocating here to find things such as rentals and other needed things when moving to the area.
As soon as I know more about this service, I will let you know.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,001,764 times
Just looked in the newest, good old Yellow Pages for the Tri-Cities and there are about 17 'Real Estate Rental Service' companies and about 20 under 'Real Estate Management'. You might try placing a few calls - and maybe you'll get lucky

Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 AM

96 posts, read 525,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Just looked in the newest, good old Yellow Pages for the Tri-Cities and there are about 17 'Real Estate Rental Service' companies and about 20 under 'Real Estate Management'. You might try placing a few calls - and maybe you'll get lucky

Good Suggestion ---- However I did see one website ( whose name I won't mention due to CD's policies ) for Tri-Cities rentals BUT all ( of about 65 rentals ) but one of these rentals was for apartments NOT Houses. The one rental House was a 4 BR + 4 BA $ 575,000 + House renting @ $ 2500. monthly.
I would bet that all or most rentals carried by above companies consist of all or mostly all just apartments, not Houses.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 PM

81 posts, read 267,166 times
We just recently moved to JC and didn't want to buy until we sold our house in Nashville. We ended up renting a furnished two bedroom at Brandy Mills apartment in Kingsport. My husband's job paid for it but I am thinking it was $1800.00 for 6 weeks. It was nothing luxurious but it was clean and I felt safe there with my 2 1/2 year old. This is a great options if you do not want to move your furniture before your home sells where you are now.

Another option is to check for house rentals on craigslist.com for JC.

Also I live in the Hills at Waterford off of Boone's Creek Rd in JC but it is so close to Gray that we have a Gray zip. There is a house in our neighborhood for lease. It is brand new and is somewhere betwee 2500 and 3000 square feet. It is a great area of town with wonderful veiws. If you are interested I can get you the number off of the lease sign.

Good Luck,
Misty

Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,223 times
Default Looking for rental home

Ihope you don't mind daddy049 i'm using your thread. I'm looking for the same thing, a home rental.

My family and I are planning to relocate to the area in October. The company I work for, Leclerc Foods, USA, will be opening and I will be transfering to that plant.

We are from PA with three children, 1-4, anybody with any information would be gladly appreciated. We would like to find a 4 bedroom home or half double. If a 4 bedroom is not available we would take a 3 bedroom.

SarahSal if you could find some web addresses for the ones you found in the yellow pages i would appreciate it.

Thank you everybody for any help that you could give us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol