Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
So, if I was incorrect about your post, then please tell me....What were you trying to say? It came across as very snarky.
Nevermind, if you can't see the giant "kidding", capitalized and accented with overzealous punctuation, then not much more explanation on my part will suffice.

At any rate, there's not much to choose from anywhere in the Tri-Cities. People don't move here for fine dining, much like people don't move to New York City for the mountain views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadStephanie View Post
I hadn't realized they'd been here so long, that makes it even sadder that they shut down.

And where are you living now, btw? I'm getting ready to leave the area again myself.
Yeah, I'm not sure when Napoli's actually moved here, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 20-25 years ago. There also was "Little Italy" which was out on 421 going toward the lake--very similar pizza to Napoli's. I'll have to check with my parents to see if it is still there, seems like they mentioned it not too long ago.

Now, I live in Huntsville AL. Hubby took a job here seven years ago. It's a high tech town so it looks like we'll be here for a while.

Are you relocating for better employment opportunites or do you just like to move (hence the Nomad in your name )

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 22,890 times
Hello everyone. I'm a teenager and my family actually owned Napoli's/Romas. I can assure you we aren't a bunch of mobsters.

My uncle first came down in the 90s (Tony) and opened it up. We had been living in Virginia for some years so while the family was from NY, we had adjusted to small town living in rural western virginia (lexington area).

It started out on state street and as business picked up it moved to king college road. Another one was opened near Kingsport by my mother but it did little business. She combined the two Napoli's into Roma's on King College Road while my uncle went and bought "Emit's" in Abingdon.

What attracted them to the south? I don't know. 20 years or so ago they moved to Lexington at the advice of some (Retired)family members that had already relocated.

The reason it shut down was pretty much because it was impossible to operate. The landlords that owned the building refused to fix the AC and it was over 100 degrees inside the building during the summer which lost a lot of business for us. Then we tried moving buildings again to 6th street off of state street which was much better but business never picked up steam like it had. Unfortunately, we moved back to Virginia and I miss East TN SOOOOO much.

Sorry for the rant, but I found it so cool you guys were talking about the business.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
Yep, Little Italy is still there! I live less than a mile from there!
Small world huh?

They did move about .5 miles down the highway though about 5-6 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
There also was "Little Italy" which was out on 421 going toward the lake--very similar pizza to Napoli's. I'll have to check with my parents to see if it is still there, seems like they mentioned it not too long ago.

Now, I live in Huntsville AL.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM

10 posts, read 34,852 times
While it's not in Abingdon or Bristol, I think the Town House Grill in Chilhowie, VA is worth a mention if you are looking for real fine dining in the area. It's about a 20 minute drive from Abingdon, and without a doubt this is where I have been served some of the finest meals in the region.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB340 View Post
While it's not in Abingdon or Bristol, I think the Town House Grill in Chilhowie, VA is worth a mention if you are looking for real fine dining in the area. It's about a 20 minute drive from Abingdon, and without a doubt this is where I have been served some of the finest meals in the region.
Interesting, thanks for motioning this one. I have never heard of it. With the name "Grill" in it, I would assume it would be burgers and steaks. Yet you are saying "fine dining" which I know can be subjective, so what kind of menu do they have? What sets them aside as one of your favorites?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 34,852 times
Yes, the "Grill" in their name is a little misleading... it used to be more of a steak place, always very good quality and service, but they changed chefs in January and have introduced a whole new style of food. The chefs came from Alinea and TRU in Chicago. Really creative, amazing flavors, great presentation. Very sophisticated, but still approachable. My husband can be a little conservative with his tastes but he really enjoys eating here as well.

The menu is a tasting style- you can have 3 or 4 courses (you get to choose your entree and dessert) or the 7 course chef's tasting, which if you have done a lot of "fine dining", you'll realize is a bargain at $75!

This is also one of the few (if not the only??) restaurants in the area that has a sommelier.

Here is a link to the menu on their website http://www.townhouseva.com/Town%20House%20Menu.pdf (broken link)

They also have a blog which is fantastic
Town House Blog

Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM

72 posts, read 174,224 times
WOW I didn't know that about the Townhouse. I've heard great things but will have to check it out now bc I am orginially from Chicago!

Machiavelli's is not what I would put in the "fine dining" category, but it is very good. Brick oven pizza & pasta, non-smoking atmosphere, attentive staff. I've been there for dessert & drinks and with for a family dinner including small kids, its a place that has a lot to offer for many different groups.

JJ's in downtown Bristol (in the old Ireson's location on 7th St) is also very good casual dining, and they use locally raised beef and produce.

I think someone already mentioned the Corner Bistro, but its a little more high-end than Mach's or JJ's. Downside, they are only open at lunch.

And I heard there was another southern-fine dining place opening in Abingdon soon? Does anyone know what it's going to be named?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM

72 posts, read 174,224 times
Oh! Also, the Starving Artist has relocated to Bristol. State St in old Greene's Seafood location. They still have the fresh meat & seafood counter that Greene's had, it's not the same owner from Abingdon, but is the same chef (??? someone correct me if I am wrong) They always seem to be hopping in the evenings, so must be good!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Nevermind, if you can't see the giant "kidding", capitalized and accented with overzealous punctuation, then not much more explanation on my part will suffice.

At any rate, there's not much to choose from anywhere in the Tri-Cities. People don't move here for fine dining, much like people don't move to New York City for the mountain views.
erm...some of us beg to differ- alot of people are no longer satisfied with mediocre pizza and chains. Businesses are losing alot of money here. People no longer think El Chico is fine dining. The market will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol