Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 PM

33 posts, read 118,982 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm new at this so here goes----
I have about had it in Fla as I've read alot of other Floridians have too.
I'm not a millionaire and thats about all Fl is going to have use for very soon.
And the hurrianes are just awful!!
I have done some research in Johnson City and Elizabethton and they look really great and affordable.
On remax site they list a NW SE and SW area fror Johnson City.
Whats the difference? I am seeking a small older home and my huuby and I like to go to car shows and the races. Love the mountains Too!!!!:
Thanks, Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hi, welcome to the forum!
As far as pars of JC NW- would be more towards Gray and North Jonesborough. SW would be south Johnson city, at and below ETSU and over towards south of Jonesborough.
SE would be Pinny Flats and Boones Creek areas.
So far it sounds like JC will fit your bill, several car shows through out the spring and summer all in short driving distance, and you can see the mountains all around and get into them in a short drive. What else are you looking for in a new "home town"? Ask away, lots of us here love this area a nd are happy to talk about it.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
hey terry....what part of FL are you in? My family & I currently live in Broward County

Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Small world I was born and raised in Borward County

Hey,
Yup I was born in Hollywood Fl started my family there and moved out over to West Coast (Cape Coral0 13 years ago.
Was once a small nice community. Now too many poeple here, taxes have tripled, electric 230 a month, water 55 amonth and oh yeah, I just paid 13,000
to have city sewer in! And oh I just love hurricane season too dont you?
Anyhow just wanted to say hi. We are checking into moving to Tenn.
Checking into it. Are you also?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Smile Hi Mbmouse

Thanks for clearing up the area for me. Could you tell me if you may know if the auto mehanic trade is doing well in JC?
My hubbys a ASE Cert. Tech, and I do general office work got the gift of gab.
Hey dont most us gals?
Also, are there sportsbars can you get beers in JC?
I've already heard that electric is extremely lower tha in Fl and water too.
Can you drink the water? How about property taxes? Do you need flood insurance there? Jees I'm sorry I'm asking so much, one person commented on how the community is so friendly like going to a convience mart peoplep are so friendly and actually talk I LOVE that and miss that alot.
My kids are grown and 1 still home however insists she isnt moving. We'll see.
I'm sure if we do move she'll help with the move and who knows she may just like it. Well thanks again so much for info!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
someone else will have to answer those questions.

We live in Sunrise, and I've been in South Florida for 21 years. Had an office in Naples, and went to cape coral & Ft Myers often. it's definitely booming out there. the traffic in winter is unbelievable!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,721 times
Several sportsbars in Johnson city,,,taxes are lower also unless you live in a really big house...
Water is great here also, south JC would have older smaller more affordable homes and traffic isnt as bad as the north side...that is were all the new subdivision and bigger homes and shopping centers are going and the south side is closer to the mountains

Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 AM

65 posts, read 240,967 times
I am a native and have never heard of anyone carrying flood insurance on their home. Guess it depends on the location of your home on your property. I live on a very high elevation and flooding has never been a personal concern.

We can always use some good honest auto mechanics in the Tri-Cities area. Years ago we were really low on mechanics for foreign-made vehicles.

BigDaddy is correct about the southern areas of JC. Closer to the mountains with older homes but still some great neighborhoods.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM

80 posts, read 219,651 times
Default Johnson City and Elizibethton TN A great place to be!

Hello

I have lived here in Johnson City Tn all my life. My wife, an RN, works at the Hospital in Elizabethton. I know Elizabethton is a small town. They seem to have a car show almost every week or so in the summer and spring months, maybe more. They have a drive in theater, a small theater, a historic covered bridge, and a thiving downtown. Plus they some of the pleasures of a city, walmart, chain restaurants ect. I am a real estate agent and love the area very much. Johnson City is somewhat larger with a large hospital, med shopping mall, several strip centers with just about every retail store you would ever need, every chain restaurant you can think of, a nice lake, nice parks, nice mountains. The NE SW areas you mention are just different sides of the town I guess when you look it up on the web sites the divide it up that way. Then Gatlinburg and pigeon forge are only 90 minutes away so you can go there for day trips. THey have the annual Rod Run in the summer with classic cars from all over the country. Plus several other major car shows. Atlanta is only about 4.5-5 hours away. Asheville home to Biltmore house and gardens in 45 minutes away. Washington DC is about 6 house away. So it is a very convienient location. It takes me about 10.5 hours to get to Orlando if are all with 10-15 minutes of each other. The North side of town is the Hot spot, i.e. Higher Prices and usaaly newer with newer schools. Moderator cut: cut Like I said I love it here and will answer any questions about the area you need. Hope you get to move JOEY

Hello,
I'm new at this so here goes----
I have about had it in Fla as I've read alot of other Floridians have too.
I'm not a millionaire and thats about all Fl is going to have use for very soon.
And the hurrianes are just awful!!

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-05-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: cut out the contact info

Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 14,092 times
This is my first post here. One thing that I'm finding interesting is all these Florida folks going to East Tennessee and I will probably be one of them come October. Right now I pay nearly a thousand bucks a month rent here on the northside of Orlando, last month I got hit with a $249 electric bill (NOT running the a/c all the time) and don't get me started about the traffic.

I'm looking at possibly Johnson city. I see that evidently there's mall and the chain restaurants. How are the local places that aren't part of a chain? I like Applebee's, etc but I also like to sample local food and culture. Are the people friendly or are they stand-offish?

This may seem like strange question, but is there skiing nearby? I used to ski when my father was stationed in Germany and also visiting my Grannie in Maine. But oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be skiing in Florida for some reason .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol