Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 29,896 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Been reading the forums for a while. I will be relocating to work in Midway TN at the Walmart DC next spring.

My question is, what is the actual drive time from the surrounding cities to Midway. I can get milage from the maps, but those are not always accurate as far as drive time.

I really dont care to commute more than 25 minutes from any direction, so I havent decided on which direction to settle. I am avid outdoors person so I am leaning a bit north of Midway towards the river.

So, if anyone can give me some estimates, I would sure appreciate it!

Connie P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Welcome! Just to clarify since there are several TN communities named Midway, the distribution center you're referring to is about halfway between the tiny communities of Bulls Gap and Mosheim.

Depending on what types of outdoor activities you most enjoy, I'd recommend either Rogersville (25-28 min. away) or Dandridge (28-30 min., mostly on I-81) for closer access to water sports, and Greeneville (20 min.) for access to hiking & mountain biking. Morristown (25 min.) is near Cherokee Lake and might also be worth checking out.

All times listed above are approx. drive times from the downtown part of the respective towns. As a general rule of thumb when estimating drive times for myself in NE Tenn., I take Google's numbers and can usually count on getting to my destination about 10% earlier than what they estimate.

While some of the smaller communities like Bulls Gap, Baileyton, and White Pine would be closer to your workplace, none of those places has a "true" grocery store if that's an important consideration for you.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh thank you!! Right now I live in a small community in West Central Wisconsin and it takes me 25 minutes just to buy groceries! So, the smaller communities are not a problem. That is unless there are no rentals in those towns! I am so excited to go to TN! Been in Wisconsin for 20 years away from my family and now am in the postition to go home. (Well, home is really north GA, but this is close enough!)

Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I used to live in Midway, just a few miles and a few hills away from the Walmart DC. It is pretty much in the middle of no where but a BEAUTIFUL middle of no where hahahahhaha. I would suggest you look to somewhere right in between Midway and Greeneville City. It becomes a pain to drive forever to get to anything. Well, for me it was a pain because it was 17 miles from house to Lowe's and I was working on the old farm house a lot. Make the trip to Lowe's, come back and realize I forgot to get this or that and have to go back cause there aren't a lot of places that carry that stuff for options. There usually is some rentals around but you have to drive around and look for the signs, and there aren't a lot. Nice people around though. I hope you enjoy the area, I did while I was there.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Thank goodness you don't want to live in a big city. I would have to say that Greeneville or its burbs will be the easiest place to live and access the DC. Mosheim is only about 10-15 minutes away, has one grocery, one drug, a library branch, a couple banks and some convenience stores.

Greeneville proper is about 20-25 minutes away (depending on how many people are on the road - these people are bad/slow drivers even in the best of conditions) and has all the amenities of a small city. Lots of groceries, drug stores, Walmart Super, Kmart, Lowe's, Staples, JCPenny, Belk, Goodys, Proffitts, and most importantly, a Pals. (Once you get here, you'll understand. Pals is the best fast food, period.) It's a nice small town. For a bigger night out you'll probably end up driving to Johnson City (hourish from Midway/Mohawk, 30-40 minutes from the east side of Greeneville), Morristown, or Knoxville (hour or so on I-81/I-40 to east Knox).

Old 08-14-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Glad to hear such good reports from you!

I am going to be moving on my own. No support at all. So, between the things I am reading on the forum, I hope to make some friends. I am looking at moving within the next 10 months and I am terrified!!! LOL But my family will only be hours away, so I do have someone to help out if I need it.

I dont mind driving, and I sure dont want to live in the heart of a city. Did that growing up. Sure, you have your convenience of a grocery next door, but I love to sit outside and watch a small bonfire and chat with friends without the noise of the city!!!!

I been watching Craiglist.com for apartments and rentals, but is there a website for local paper classifieds I could keep an eye on???

And nice to meet you!!!

Connie P

Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieP View Post
I am going to be moving on my own. No support at all. So, between the things I am reading on the forum, I hope to make some friends. I am looking at moving within the next 10 months and I am terrified!!! LOL But my family will only be hours away, so I do have someone to help out if I need it.

I dont mind driving, and I sure dont want to live in the heart of a city. Did that growing up. Sure, you have your convenience of a grocery next door, but I love to sit outside and watch a small bonfire and chat with friends without the noise of the city!!!!

I been watching Craiglist.com for apartments and rentals, but is there a website for local paper classifieds I could keep an eye on???

And nice to meet you!!!

Connie P
You could sit in the middle of Greeneville in the evenings with neighbors in most places and not here your typical "city sounds". Yes, Greeneville is a city but not a big one by any means. Are you going to be able to make a few trips to look around before you move? In the mean time you can keep an eye on these two newspapers. One is for Greeneville, on is for Rogersville which might be another option for you. It is bigger than Midway but smaller than Greeneville. Can commute to Midway from both fairly easily.
Hope that helps and nice to meet you too.
The Greeneville Sun - Your Hometown Homepage - Greeneville, Tennessee News, Sports and Weather
http://www.hawkins.xtn.net (broken link) (ok, not sure what is up with this link tonight but not working, so you might want to wait until later or tomorrow?)

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM

I have the Rogerville paper bookmarked and been watching that one. Unfortunately I will be moving blind. No trips in the future. Wish I could! I did grow up between Texas and Dalton, GA so climate wont scare me. What scares me is the 20 someodd years of snow hitting my posterior end! Ahhhh, to have 4 actual seasons instead of the two we have here...... "winters coming and winters here!"

Connie P

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
You could sit in the middle of Greeneville in the evenings with neighbors in most places and not here your typical "city sounds".
This made me laugh. It's so true! I agree that Greeneville would be the best place and jabogitlu is right about the driving. I had to drive to Greeneville one semester for an evening class to finish my degree and I often felt intense road rage.
Also, although we do not get a lot of snow in the surrounding area, it's different than other places because we are never really prepared for it and everyone shuts down and there are cars all over the road. If you are not on a main road, the chances of the road getting cleared may not be that great.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
This made me laugh. It's so true! I agree that Greeneville would be the best place and jabogitlu is right about the driving. I had to drive to Greeneville one semester for an evening class to finish my degree and I often felt intense road rage.
Also, although we do not get a lot of snow in the surrounding area, it's different than other places because we are never really prepared for it and everyone shuts down and there are cars all over the road. If you are not on a main road, the chances of the road getting cleared may not be that great.
LOL Snow! Considering I live in Wisconsin where regularly the last couple of winters, we had several snowstorms dumping more than a foot of snow on our roads. I live out in a town with three taverns, one post office and two gas stations. THATS IT! So, when it snows here, we are the last to get plowed out. I have never missed work due to snowfall, LOL. I am either nuts, insanely crazy, or just too used to driving in the white stuff!.

Would be nice to live somewhere that shuts down over a little snow! Hehehehehe

What is the average snow there????

Connie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol