U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,155,726 times

Advertisements

Late in the afternoon this past Friday (8/22), I went for a wonderful walk in the Range/Turkeytown area about 3.5 miles NW of downtown Elizabethton and 7 miles NE of downtown Johnson City.

Driving from Kingsport on I-26, I took Exit 22 in Johnson City and headed north on TN-400, passing through the little community of Watauga along the way. Most of these pics were taken along TN-400, Hart Rd., and Sycamore Shoals Drive:

Quilt trail barn on the Hart Farm:

Watauga River:

USMC F-18s in formation; they were doing flyovers at Bristol Motor Speedway and circled overhead several times:

Sunset from Brick Christian Church. Just down the street is an unmanned produce stand that operates on the honor system. I picked up 10 medium-size 'maters for just $1.00!

Last edited by kamoshika; 08-24-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:57 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,594,037 times
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Those F-18's were in the area for the pre race show at Bristol. I was driving from Kingsport to JC Friday afternoon when I heard them coming but didn't see them, I forgot they were due in the area and thought for sure a plane was landing on the highway behind me! LOL! Took me a few minutes and sight of them to realize what they were.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Those F-18's were in the area for the pre race show at Bristol.
Thanks for the ID on the jets, mbmouse! They were quite a sight (and sound!) against that gorgeous sunset.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:57 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,594,037 times
I agree! GREAT picture of them! My hubby is a plane buff, working on his pilot license now actually. He can tell by the sounds what kind of plane they are and all the stats hahahahha. He loved your picture and wanted me to tell you thanks for sharing it.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,059,342 times
Kamoshika, I love the picture of the Wautaga River with the bridge and mountains, stunning!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,775,038 times
I LOVE that area. Could totally live there, reminds me of where I grew up. Thanks for sharin', kamoshika.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 AM

37 posts, read 110,227 times
Greetings to all from Silver Creek, New York!

I am truely appreciating this forum and all the wonderful pics you are sharing. I have a cabin reserved with Meredith Valley Cabins (Elizabethton) for the 3rd week of October and am packing up my beagle Nellie and my two grandaughters for our first visit to your beautiful state.
One grandaughter is an artist and is very excited about painting a landscape she is actually seeing rather than from a photo!
I have found "Blue Hole Falls" for one location for her.......any other suggestions?? I also thought that we could go to the Greenbelt in Kingsport. Nellie would like that as well!
Many thanks! Jan

Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante56 View Post
Greetings to all from Silver Creek, New York!

I am truely appreciating this forum and all the wonderful pics you are sharing. I have a cabin reserved with Meredith Valley Cabins (Elizabethton) for the 3rd week of October and am packing up my beagle Nellie and my two grandaughters for our first visit to your beautiful state.
One grandaughter is an artist and is very excited about painting a landscape she is actually seeing rather than from a photo!
I have found "Blue Hole Falls" for one location for her.......any other suggestions?? I also thought that we could go to the Greenbelt in Kingsport. Nellie would like that as well!
Many thanks! Jan
Welcome! Funny that you mentioned Meredith Valley Cabins as I went right by them on my walk last week. The cabins are in an idyllic location on the Watauga River, directly across from Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area.

Elizabethton's covered bridge is probably the most photographed scene in that area and your granddaughter might enjoy painting it as well. And if you haven't seen this website that's loaded w/ pics from all over Carter Co., I highly recommend it: Photos of Elizabethton / Carter County Tn. Area

If you venture out from your cabin on some nearby backroads, you'll come across beautiful scenery in all directions. You might want to get a road map of the area so you'll feel more comfortable exploring.

Blue Hole Falls, usually just referred to as "(the) Blue Hole", is a really neat place if you can overlook the trash left by inconsiderate types.

I hope y'all enjoy your stay in NE Tennessee!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:37 AM

37 posts, read 110,227 times
Thank-you for your warm welcome and quick response! I will definitely check out the link you provided.
Although I am (finally!) approaching retirement, both the girls lead very busy lives between college, part-time jobs and (of course) boyfriends. I am confident we have found the perfect setting to step back, catch our breath, and enjoy one another and our surroundings. Plus, the cabin owners welcome pets, so that is great, too.
Both the area road map and the covered bridge were things I hadn't thought about...both helpful suggestions.
Thanks again....Jan

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
Hello everyone. I'm new at this so bear with me. As a retired sailor, I want to put my roots down in Tennessee along the eastern side. I saw the F-18 pictures is there any military bases nearby that might have medical facilites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol