U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 186,060 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is highly considering moving to the Johnson City Tennessee area of Tennessee. We have been in the Tampa Bay Florida area for 20 plus years and we are ready for a change of pace. I am interested in getting some feedback as to the quality of life in this area. I am a single mother of three pre teenage children. Education is obviously very important as well as opportunity to excell in this area academically, socially, professionally, etc.
Also, as a working adult I am interested in employment opportunities- hopefully in education as well as cost of living. We will be visiting this summer and look forward to learning more about the area. I look forward to your valuable insight!
Take care,
Danie
Rate this post positively

Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM

25 posts, read 195,329 times
Well, there was that homosexual prostitution ring in the 1980's that resulted in re-naming the Quillen-Dishner Medical School to remove Dishner's name. And those gay magazines that advertise Johnson City as a wonderful place to live. And there was that book by Abraham Verghese about HIV in Johnson City.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM

I don't see the connection to why this info on homosexuality has anything to do with the quality of life for a single woman and her children. I live in Florida- there are gay people here too. Any relevent info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 PM

130 posts, read 534,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure
I don't see the connection to why this info on homosexuality has anything to do with the quality of life for a single woman and her children. I live in Florida- there are gay people here too. Any relevent info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Pay no attention to the children. Sometimes learning disabled 12 year olds get a hold of their parents computers when no one is looking.

Anyway, beside the "homo-epidmic" with which I have no familiarity, the quality of life here seems perfectly fine with me. After living in Port Richey Florida for the last 16 years, up until a month ago, here's what I have found in no particular order:

1) Everyone is friendly. There is no such thing as a "quick stop" for gas since everyone wants to chat...which is fine with me.

2) The Wal-Mart's do not even have "Take a number" machines at the deli. They just don't get that kind of volume for it to be necessary.

3) Kroger is a great supermarket.

4) Jobs are strong. I had 3 interviews and recieved three offers, the third of which I accepted.

5) Utilities are cheap! My Florida power bill ran $210 to $280 a month. Mine for last month here was $30. My Florida water bill averaged $90, here it's $28.

6) The roads are great! I went over to NC today and even took a picture because the roads instantly become terrible when you leave TN. I'l post the pic once I get it uploaded.

7) Weather is awesome. Right now it's about 62, today's high was around 80 and I didn't sweat at all while riding in full gear.

8) No hurricanes. I probably should have made this #1, huh?

9) Still haven't heard a car horn or a New York accent. Given the option I'll listen to the horn.

10) Mountains. I took some pictures today on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Over 5,100 above sea level and truly breath taking.

Joe

Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 AM

51 posts, read 321,378 times
I live in a small town about 35 miles to the south of Johnson City, and let me tell you: you might be better off in Tampa. I've visited Tampa, and I love it there. The public schools in Johnson City are much better than you would expect from a public school system, but the high school with nearly 2,000 students is a bit crowded, and the nearest private high school is about a 15 minute drive out of the city towards the Tri-Cities Regional Airport. The cost of living in the area is ridiculously inexpensive, most likely much less than what you are paying to live in Florida, but as far as your children are concerned, there is not much for them, as the median age is about 39.5 years (slightly above the national average). The city is experiencing some growth with the addition of a Sam's Club, new Walmart Supercenter, and a possible Super Target to the area, but high-tech jobs are somewhat rare in the region, so the area is lacking a major flood of new citizens. Socially, your children may do well, academically they should be fine, but professionally, they may have to go to Knoxville or Atlanta after college to seek good, high paying work. Have you looked into Asheville or maybe Roanoke as possible choices of residency?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Sorry

Actually, I thought I was responding to a thread debating the existence of a homosexual culture in the Johnson City area. I believe the quote was something about Tennessee having a lot of license plates but none that denote sexual preference. I don't see that post any longer. But my response was addressed to that post and not the one from the single mother. My point was that whether you know or acknowlege it, many people are aware that there is quite a large gay population in Johnson City. The area has been nationally promoted for years as being a homosexual community. Whatever conclusions you draw from this information is your own opinion. I have no interest in whether this makes Johnson City more or less appealing to you as a place to live. I'm just passing on information. Sorry that bothers you.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 AM

Just to clear the record- it is not the gay community that bothers me. I have friends whom are gay. What 'bothers' me are the folks who were sending innapropriate and rude messages on some of the other threads. Tolerance is an aspect of a healthy quality of life~ as is respect.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:52 PM

Default A little confusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger96
your earlier comments were deleted.
No, my comments are still there. But the posts I was responding to are no longer there. And that seems to be what caused the confusion. My point is that such comments should not be dismissed simply because the tone seems inappropriate. There was definitely some merit to the information provided in that post. And I admit that it irritates me for someone who just moved to Johnson City to respond sarcastically to viewpoints that do not mesh with his idea of his new hometown. No one could possibly know everything there is to know about a town just by moving there.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:09 AM

11 posts, read 70,159 times
Hey there...
Here's a bit of info from a guy who grew up in Johnson City. Granted, I left in 1990, but I still have family nearby, and friends in the city. Quality of life was great when I lived there (grew up there, well, 13 years of life, heh), and according to friends and family has only increased.

Johnson City is the more liberal of the Tri Cities, and provides some of the best public schools the region. Although Science Hill (the high school) is a big overcrowded, these days, the education is still top notch. There are alternatives to the Johnson City Public Schools, such as the University School at ETSU ( http://www.etsu.edu/coe/uschool/ ), and for elementary and middle school, Ashley Academy (where I went, and loved it) ( http://www.ashleyacademy.com/ ). In fact, my old math teacher from Ashley is now the principal, and several of my old teachers have moved in to administrative positions, or sit on the board of directors. heh, this is catch-up time for me.

Johnson City has, pretty much, everything you'll need... if JC doesn't have it, you'll find it in Kingsport or Bristol. It's a beautiful region, and there are tons of places to experience nature. Some of my favorites are Bays Mountain (Kingsport), Roan Mountain (Elizabethton-ish, and if you get a chance, hike the Rhododendron trail out to the overlook.. it's gorgeous!), and my own back yard. heh.

I wish you luck and success in Johnson City, and please feel free to contact me on or off the board if you have any more questions, or want more information.

-Eric

Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Thank you Eric,
Yes, I've heard great things about the schools, particularly the ones that you've mentioned. I am really looking forward to visiting. We took a brief camping trip to the Nature Coast of Florida recently. It was good to be in nature. It is about a hour drive out of the 'city'~ which is really sprawled suburbia. The beach is 5 minutes walking time- and beautiful but I miss the rolling hills, trees, and deep natural areas of my youth. I'm looking forward to visiting Roan Mtn. and I'll check out Bays as well. Haven't heard of this one.
Any info at all is beneficial, really. We are looking more into Johnson City area but Elizabethton and surrounding areas will also be considered. My 'dream' is to have 15+ acres, privacy, nature, yet not too far from 'civilization'. I'm into conservation and would like to find some property that I could have a little land to farm, protect and enjoy. I've already tried the secluded living in Georgia and it was a bit much with three kids! Plus gas prices have gone up.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol