U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM

15,761 posts, read 28,850,654 times

Advertisements

Probably a good time to mention the "Preview Post" feature.

It's been my experience that these type of what's wrong with an area/ what don't you like about an area, etc. always tend to go downhill.

I would also like to mention that what one person doesn't like about an area is not going to be the same for another. We are all individuals with different tastes and tolerances.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM

94 posts, read 353,565 times
True enough. But, I would still like to know a few things to keep a balanced view of the area..., since I have never been to JC.
Things like not enough Walmarts (lol)(they are coming out of nowhere everywhere!) and things like it can get too humid.,etc.
Whatever helps paint a more realistic picture, than pure praises.

I hate the heat in AZ, and the crime in Tucson, way bad.
If someone asked me about this area, I would be honest, from my point of view. Opinion & facts are two different things though.
Best to stay with facts. I agree (like the traffic).
By the way, has JC or surrounding area ever had any very bad storms? Tornados or any flooding ? (as I watch Ike move in on friends homes in TX)! Yikes, Ike!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,590,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post

Just wondering what things people 'don't' particulary like about the area., Just for a more balanced perspective.
Hi.I can be objective. I moved here 2005 (escaped S Florida-thank God-lol)

1. people are usually polite and not rude, I still get a thank you at the bank, or even at the board of elections when I requested a form today

2. Less traffic (than NY or Florida, at least) ..

3. Johnson City seems to be developing, new restaurants and construction lately.

4. My neighbors are very nice, mostly retired in the subdivision Im in- they brought cookies over for Christmas

5. Less keep up w/Jones mentality ( we were sick of that rat race, identical Lexus SUV's in S Florida, etc...)

Dislikes:

1. Expanding medical job market, but if you are not in that niche you may be out of luck, service jobs aplenty, great for college kids.

2. if you are a manager or deal in HR, you may learn there are some cultural differences, and work ethic differences

3. You HAVE to buy satellite, local programming is awful, and cable also limited and overpriced.

Good luck with your choice. Feel free to DM me if you have more questions

Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,595,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
OK.,whoa..,Sorry, Let me see if I can dig myself out of this one!
I was not making a comment about the people there., I have not been there... (yet)!
I was responding to 'other posts' I have read on this
thread that have said the people seemed backwards about things
there, (like 'mixed marriages' and the way folks who have never lived anywhere else, view things). Other peoples views of the area.
Just going on what someone else wrote.
I was "under the impression" that a certain percentage of the population there are sort of living in a vaccume of sorts (from what I have read) ? people who have never left the area & see things in an old way.
Then, I was giving examples of what sort of things
I would NOT like ""anywhere"" I live (i.e. people who are rude & crude, disrespectful of others (which includes trashing the landscape) and of course violence.
and defending the good in people, reguardless of race, because
it's so silly to me that people actually still do have problems with
'other races' in various parts of the country.
Tucson is a melting pot of every kind of people, (esp due to the AFB here) I grew up not thinking twice about 'race', so i was on a soap box.
Anyway, I have lived in a small town in the northwest and in the south and can understand how views can vary by region.
I guess I was going on what I have experienced, trying to imagine
what it is like in JC. (why I am asking so many questions!)
Does that make sense?
Sorry if I wrote it weird, I should have been sleeping! ZZZzzzzzzz
Oh, OK hahahahhaa. Now I understand.
Yes, this area is a melting pot of sorts in this portion of TN as well. However I have noticed it is a different sort of melting pot than how that phrase is commonly used.
The basic difference here is it is more of a melting of "natives" and "non natives" hahahaha I have not seen race as an issue, or anyone being disrespected due to race. Sure I have seen people being disrespected, but not due to race.
Now don't get me wrong, there is just about every walk of life represented here. And yes, there are some who do not want any change at all and who do not like "new comers" but I think you will find that in any city/town that is growing. However, I do have to add that I personally, and know a lot of others fee the same way, I liked the area as it was, that is why I moved here (and ended up marrying a native hahahahah) and I too do not want to see it change to much to fast. I have been there done that in another state and do not want to go through it again. I could lie and say "No this area is awful, stay away" just so it won't change but that would just not be the right thing to do.
Don't forget, this is part of the bible belt, religion can be a large part of peoples lives here and yes, you will see and hear it, but it is just part of the local culture. There are all kinds of different religions represented here also, but there is a majority religion. Maybe that is the "vacuum" you have heard about?
Maybe you could start a new thread titled something like "my questions about JC" then you could ask all sorts of questions about what you personally want to know. Just a thought.
Sure there are some bad aspects of living here, heck no where is utopia or Mayberry.
Hope that helps.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 AM

94 posts, read 353,565 times
Hey, even 'Mayberry' had it's problems, from what I can recall !
(are there any 'exploding goats' walking around? smile!)
Yes, starting a my own questions thread may be a good way to go for me.
Although this forum is quite informative! Such a great tool we have.
When my parents moved 'out west' from NJ in the 60's, it was like
being a pioneer family! Sight unseen, very scarey! We would have
moved out of Tucson had my mom not passed away months later
(Dr. botched up an operation she had)
If mom had the internet back then, oh boy!! She would have loved it!!
Anyway, thanks for the answers all have given! It helps A LOT!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Yeah, I've not really ever witnessed any race being held above or below another here in Johnson City, or generally NETN (Erwin seems to be an exception - sorry, Erwinites!), in the last 15-20 years. Don't get me wrong - NETN is very stratified, but this stratification is by income, not race. Unfortunately, in my experience, the darker your skintone, the less your income. Very silly, but very true.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,912,493 times
I think it's kind of a peaceful, although somewhat 'guarded' existence here in the Tri-Cities. Everyone is generally quite polite and very friendly - but you don't casually talk religion or politics here! IMHO, the majority of people are *quietly* extreme (maybe too harsh a description) in their views so when you find someone who isn't - those generally not from here - it's a pleasant surprise.. When outside the TRI in the outlying areas and small towns, that's where you might encounter the "you're not from here" attitude although I do think it's MUCH better than it once was! Because there've been so many newcomers there seems to be a much higher level of acceptance than, say 15-20 years ago. All in all, it is a wonderful place to live and the natural beauty all around us is a joy every day! We'd once thought of moving to somewhere in the Asheville area but when comparing the landscape and the prices, we chose to stay right where we are!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,555 times
My few gripes: airport, lack of public transportation, the hodgepodge of sidewalks down the Bristol HWY, lack of certain restaurants/retail, no JC YMCA (KPT & Bristol have one), need more accessible farmers' market, 9.75 sales tax, low off season lake levels, JC downtown (getting better), JCPB rates (getting worse), need more big corporations (an Eastman size corp in JC would be GREAT). I may add a few more.

Basically, I love it here, but there's always room for improvement.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
An Eastman-sized corporation in JC??

Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,595,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
An Eastman-sized corporation in JC??
Already have one, it's called American Water Heater
Well, almost as big employee wise anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol