Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcommander View Post
Hahahaha, well, I've never been to Earth Fare but really looking forward to it's opening. Guess you can give me the grand tour once you get settled into your new position!

Kroger and Ingles are okay, and I like the new Food City in Kingsport - but I do miss Publix. Hopefully they will be moving into Tennessee soon and you'll see for yourself!
People keep talking about that Food City, and the one in Piney Flats. Have Food City stores not been in this part of NETN before? I grew up in Greeneville where there's always been two Food Cities as long as I can remember, so it's no biggie. But people keep talking about the new stores here, like they're something new. Not sure, since I've only lived in the TRI for a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 AM

20 posts, read 77,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcommander View Post
Kroger and Ingles are okay, and I like the new Food City in Kingsport - but I do miss Publix. Hopefully they will be moving into Tennessee soon and you'll see for yourself!
Actually, they already have moved to TN! There are 21 stores so far, just none in NETN. Hopefully soon! My boyfriend works for Publix and LOVES it, it's the only reason he would possibly not want to move to Tennessee, but I don't think he's going to let that stop him.

For those of you that don't know, Publix stores are usually just as nice as an Earth Fare type place, they just don't have anywhere near as much organic food. They're almost always ridiculously clean and the employees are usually really happy to help you because as soon as you're hired by Publix you're enrolled in company stock. When a company does profit sharing it quickly becomes obvious that it's in your best interest to make the customers very happy.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 AM

227 posts, read 720,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
People keep talking about that Food City, and the one in Piney Flats. Have Food City stores not been in this part of NETN before? I grew up in Greeneville where there's always been two Food Cities as long as I can remember, so it's no biggie. But people keep talking about the new stores here, like they're something new. Not sure, since I've only lived in the TRI for a couple years.
Food City isn't new.... but the newer stores are so much nicer than the older stores. That's why I shop there in Kingsport or Gray if in the area. Since I live in Piney Flats, I'm looking forward to the new one being built there.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Already have one, it's called American Water Heater
Well, almost as big employee wise anyway.
I just had a tour of the AO Smith (American Water Heater) plant two days ago. It's truly an amazing operation. Massive, massive machinery. Not many corporate jobs though, just typical plant type jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
An Eastman-sized corporation in JC??
JC definitely needs the variety and quality of jobs that a corporate HQ like Eastman would provide. Jab, you're at ETSU, right? Where do most of our MBAs and MACCs go for work? ... Somewhere else. It doesn't need to be as large as Eastman, but we need an anchor corporate HQ in JC. It would improve everyone's standard of living.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
I just had a tour of the AO Smith (American Water Heater) plant two days ago. It's truly an amazing operation. Massive, massive machinery. Not many corporate jobs though, just typical plant type jobs.

JC definitely needs the variety and quality of jobs that a corporate HQ like Eastman would provide. Jab, you're at ETSU, right? Where do most of our MBAs and MACCs go for work? ... Somewhere else. It doesn't need to be as large as Eastman, but we need an anchor corporate HQ in JC. It would improve everyone's standard of living.

Guess you can assume the largest employers are the medical center and ETSU in JC! I'm not aware of how many jobs exist because of these two employers (not as many as Eastman certainly) but these 2 'businesses' are possibly JC's biggest - or least, most well-known employers. (please someone correct me if my speculation is wrong) And many of these are 'professional' job positions.. I do agree though that a large corporate headquarters would benefit both JC and the entire region.

Before I forget; on the way home I thought about the topic of this thread after I'd listened to public radio's Terry Gross interview Maurice Sendek(sp), author of 'Where the Wild Things Are' - among other wonderful children's books. He talked about his young Jewish parents' immigrating to this country right before the first(?) world war and his father's being the only member of his family to survive - the rest died in concentration camps. He also talked about growing up in Brooklyn speaking yiddish, having 2 very solemn parents and how much he loved the Italian family across the hall because they were so happy and full of life!
That's when it hit me... What I miss here is that wonderful blend of ethnicity so prevalent in the Northeast! Any of you other (damn) Yankees feel the same way?

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-12-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Boring weather....

Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Food City has been around for many years. Started out as one small store in Grundy Virginia. I do not recall the name right off, but they continued to grow and "buy out" alot of local markets in the 1980s. I think the Food City name came along in the 70s. There is a Food City in Bristol about 4 miles from my house that was built in 1984 (management) and the Food City on Euclid Avenue has been open since 1985 (when they bought out Piggly Wiggly), so yeah, they have been around a very long time. Then the Food City on the Volunteer Parkway is new... it was originally on Bluff City highway in the 1970s, then moved to the old Hills shopping center in the 1990s - then the new store was built at the old Big Johns/Family Rec center a couple of years ago.

I think the company has nearly 100 stores now in TN, VA and KY. Headquarters is called K-VA-T - K for Kentucky, V for Virginia and T for Tennessee.

There is a new store going up in Piney Flats and the one in Rogersville is currently being rebuilt. Food City is currently rebuilding new stores and remodeling or rebuilding some older stores.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
I think the majority of stores are going up in the Knoxville region, though. There is even some talk of moving KVAT to downtown Knoxie.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 PM

209 posts, read 417,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
[/b]

That's when it hit me... What I miss here is that wonderful blend of ethnicity so prevalent in the Northeast! Any of you other (damn) Yankees feel the same way?
I miss it, but prefer to have it close by & just visit when i want it. Except, of course, when I want a bagel in the morning!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 PM

209 posts, read 417,452 times
My big disappointment was when I saw all the trash lying around: beer cans, bottles, tires on the hillsides, stuff like that. I just expected more pride for the beauty of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol