U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:51 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,912,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
I miss it, but prefer to have it close by & just visit when i want it. Except, of course, when I want a bagel in the morning!
Hi beachdiver! Just curious as to where you have found ethnic diversity. Parts of Asheville, maybe? I grew up going to school in CT with lots of kids from Italian, Greek and Polish backgrounds, among others. So usually there were great neighborhood stores and restaurants that supported these smaller communities. I guess in this area, the major ethnic community you'll find is of Latino influences. (And the Tri-Cities do have loads of Mexican restaurants - although I'd love it if a good Greek restaurant found its way here!)

Also, as to your 2nd post about roadside trash, believe it or not, that's one thing that has improved quite a bit from when we arrived in NETN back in the late 80's! Then it was horrible - trash discarded along main and back roads! Thanks to awareness programs (many of those in schools), it did get better although now I wish they could legally do something about the profusion of junkyards - as well as junk cars in some residential areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,778,685 times
Re junkyards and/or broken down cars in residential areas I agree with you. However, some counties (including greene) have taken to forcing people in completely rural areas (like Greystone and Horse Creek) to "cleaning up" (which is a relative term) their junkyards. Talk about completely ignoring the fact that junk yards are businesses.

And, when you move to the country, that's what you might get. Part of being a responsible home buyer or home owner is investigating the area in which you're buying. If you want a nice clean yard, buy in Jonesborough...

Err, I think I went off on a tangent! Sorry, SarahSal, my post isn't even directed at you, LOL! You just touched a nerve with me about meddling county governments.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,597,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Re junkyards and/or broken down cars in residential areas I agree with you. However, some counties (including greene) have taken to forcing people in completely rural areas (like Greystone and Horse Creek) to "cleaning up" (which is a relative term) their junkyards. Talk about completely ignoring the fact that junk yards are businesses.

And, when you move to the country, that's what you might get. Part of being a responsible home buyer or home owner is investigating the area in which you're buying. If you want a nice clean yard, buy in Jonesborough...

Err, I think I went off on a tangent! Sorry, SarahSal, my post isn't even directed at you, LOL! You just touched a nerve with me about meddling county governments.
I hear ya! Reminder also: The more you want your neighbors to do so you are happy with their property means more taxes to enforce it.
You want to pay LOW property taxes? Well than maybe you need to put up with what your neighbors do or don't do with their property.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,912,696 times
I know! That is one other thing that I agree IS beneficial about living *outside the city limits* = less government intrusion thus lower taxes (as mbmouse so aptly noted).. But, still you just have to wonder why folks choose to have lots of obviously non-functioning vehicles crowding their yards..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM

14,495 posts, read 24,592,324 times
[quote=SarahSal;5232321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I am right in Johnson City and Asheville is exactly one hour drive, Knoxville rather far and alot of their flights make you lay-over in Atlanta. Atlanta airport is horrible.[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more! Atlanta is absolutely awful.. In May we flew in on an international flight to ATL with our two dogs (in baggage) and after going through immigration, then customs, we collected our traumatized dogs in their cages then had to go back to an agricultural checkpoint. Then a man told us we had to surrender our dogs *again* but could pick them up in about 20 minutes. It took over an hour to collect our bags - and it was another full hour before we finally *found* our dogs after questioning numerous airport personnel. The last straw occured as we were leaving the airport and had to go through a very long line of security (with a security person screaming at everyone) just to get OUT of the darn airport. The people there were incredibly rude and we pledged to never fly out of Atlanta again..

On the other hand we love the (attractive) Knoxville airport - 1.5 hours from Limestone and we usually fly non-stop to Houston before getting our connecting flight. We spend the night at an airport motel, take their shuttle in the morning and leave our vehicle there until we return - on one occasion for a month. It's a great system. The prices are much better than the TRI and it's a totally different and easier experience than the one we had in Atlanta!

It's a real shame the Tri-cities aiport hasn't been able to get their prices down - it would be a real boon for the region.. Good for Asheville, though that they were able to! (Wonder if Andie McDowell and Asheville's film industry had anything to do with it)

They film alot in Asheville, I have heard. It getting well-known. The flights from NY/Newark are sometimes small, but they have about 3 per day, and when I missed one flight, Continental actually gave me a later ticket at no charge- (this was in June though)

Atlanta is dirty and gross, and layovers there are usually 3-4 hours- no good restaurants---we were trapped there Xmas, returning from Hawaii 2 years ago. It wasnt fun.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I know! That is one other thing that I agree IS beneficial about living *outside the city limits* = less government intrusion thus lower taxes (as mbmouse so aptly noted).. But, still you just have to wonder why folks choose to have lots of obviously non-functioning vehicles crowding their yards..
Again I honestly believe this is because it is so expensive for people to get rid of them. There is no place for them to bring them or any service to come haul them off.
The counties DO need to make it easier and free for people to get rid of these large junk items. I know I would have to hire someone to haul off a bad appliance or something like that just because I don't own a truck. If people live paycheck to paycheck that is minimum wage or close too, they just can't do that.
Then again, this might raise property taxes to put that into effect. So what do you do.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,778,685 times
Doesn't the East Tennessee Liver Society come get your car, if you call them and donate it to them?

At any rate, I'm sure that the difficulty of discarding large items is part of the equation. A lot of these people (not looking down my nose, my family's mostly like this) work two jobs just to get by, so when they get off work the last thing that's on their mind is a car or washing machine in the yard.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Doesn't the East Tennessee Liver Society come get your car, if you call them and donate it to them?

At any rate, I'm sure that the difficulty of discarding large items is part of the equation. A lot of these people (not looking down my nose, my family's mostly like this) work two jobs just to get by, so when they get off work the last thing that's on their mind is a car or washing machine in the yard.
I thought that too until I had a dead car to get rid of. No, it has to be in good working condition or at least an easy fix before they will come and take it and they ask you to pay the tow bill. I called several organizations and they all pretty much wanted the same thing. I finally got some one to come and take it for parts that would not charge for a tow bill. This car would start but needed new engine.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,112 times
I agree with tdatl - we need more job opportunities here. This area is turning out to be a great retirement place, but those of us who grow up here have to leave to find a decent job. I'm one of the lucky ones who could stay here, but both of my siblings had to move away.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,064,775 times
Now that I've been wondering around Tennessee I can say something.lol

Bristol, To me it's great that it's in two different states. I just don't like how some areas are "rough." for example over by the Post Office in Bristol it seems rough, buildings don't seem well cared for. Over by 421 leaving town towards Shady Valley seems a but rough as well. The junkyard on 421 outside of Bristol is open, I mean you can visibly see all the junk cars. There's just something rough about some areas of town.

Kingsport, Seems more industrialized with the Ammo Plant and Eastman in the area. Seems a bit more clean than Bristol though. I like the recreational opportunities that exist here.

Johnson City, I have yet to step foot in JC.

I do however like Abingdon,VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol