Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,777,571 times

Advertisements

Long-time car dealer Sam Anderson is taking on a new role in downtown Kingsport: he’s restoring a 1934 building to its original look. The 22,000-square-foot building at the corner of Broad and Center streets once housed Freels Drug Store, Sobel’s and Nettie Lee.
Sam Anderson restoring history in downtown Kingsport

Work continues on the $1.3 million upgrade of the planetarium at Bays Mountain Park, with demolition virtually complete and construction expected to begin in the coming weeks. However, the planetarium is not expected to open later this year as scheduled and it likely will be February 2009 until schoolchildren and others will be able to get their first glimpse of the new, state-of-the-art theater.
Upgraded Bays Mountain Park planetarium to reopen in February

The new Kingsport Boys and Girls Club is officially open for business...The club’s 44,000-square-foot facility is located behind Pratt’s and Texas Roadhouse on Stone Drive. Work began at the site in the spring of 2007, and according to Chuck Owens, executive director of the club, the facility officially opened on Aug. 11.
Boys and Girls Club to host grand opening

Under the guidance of CEO Brian Ferguson, Eastman is doing plenty to shed its image as a dirty old chemical company. In the process, Ferguson also has been leading a smaller, but just as important, reclamation project—the rehabilitation of Eastman's reputation in the Kingsport community. His success thus far, coupled with the company's solid performance in shaky economic times, make Brian Ferguson Tennessee's CEO of the Year.
Chemical's Catalyst | BusinessTN

As researchers aggressively seek ways to hone new technology to deal with rising energy demands, Kingsport-based Eastman Chemical is happy to rely on a well established if less talked about alternative energy technology. Although it may still be new to Congress and some energy stock traders, coal gasification has a history that dates back to the first half of the 20th Century.
http://businesstn.com/content/200809/old

Imagine your home or business with high-efficiency lighting, appliances, hot water, and heating and cooling provided with alternative energy sources off the electric grid. And each work day you’d travel in an electric car recharged by alternative energy — as long as you keep your round-trip commute about 50 miles or can recharge in mid-day. Kingsport-based Eco-Populace wants to make such use of solar, wind and water-generated electricity, solar-heated water and other alternative energy projects commonplace.
Video Report - Kingsport company offers eco-friendly energy solutions

Last edited by kamoshika; 09-16-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,206,244 times
Great to hear the progress Kingsport is making. Very good leadership going on.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,178,264 times
Yes! The leadership factor in Kingsport has been essential in its revitalization - along with some terrific and visionary folks who've been buying and rehabbing buildings. As I said in another post, community spirit is alive and well in Kingsport!
(jjbradleynyc - I see you're from Stamford, CT. That's where I was born - I bet I wouldn't recognize it from my childhood when I-95 was being built! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol