Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Yep, thats the lake... southeast of Bristol. I only live about 10 minutes from there myself. There are many different roads to take, depending upon what part of the lake you want to go to. If you want to go to the dam, take the road to your right (at that closed down restaurant). Go about a mile and you can either go straight, or you can veer to the right at the "fork" in the road... keep going straight and it will take you to the lower "Wier" dam and on that same road, you can get to the top of the dam as well. There are just a couple of different roads that get you there.

I know the area like the back of my hand, but not good with a couple of those road names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadila View Post
@kamoshika

Absolutely phantastic pictures!
Can't wait to get there myself and see all those beautiful views next week

Just how do I get to where you were? I wouldn't want to spend the precious vacation time desperately trying to find some sort of "entrance" or parking space from where I can "take off". I did find the lake east of Bristol on my TN official Highway map + the short line for the dam, but there is no road going there. So, if I come from the south on Hwy 421, how can I get on from there?

hadila (Hamburg/Germany)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadila View Post
@kamoshika

Absolutely phantastic pictures!
Can't wait to get there myself and see all those beautiful views next week

Just how do I get to where you were? I wouldn't want to spend the precious vacation time desperately trying to find some sort of "entrance" or parking space from where I can "take off". I did find the lake east of Bristol on my TN official Highway map + the short line for the dam, but there is no road going there. So, if I come from the south on Hwy 421, how can I get on from there?

hadila (Hamburg/Germany)
Hi, hadila. Glad you enjoyed the photos! Tennesseestorm's directions are correct. Here are the specifics if you're heading north on 421:

1. Turn right at Emmett Rd, go 0.6 mi

2. Slight right to stay on Emmett Rd, go 0.5 mi

3. Continue on Holston View Dam Rd, go 0.6 mi; Osceola Island Recreation Area will be on your left. Total distance from 421: 1.7 miles.

4. Leaving Osceola Island, turn left on Holston View Dam Rd and go 1.1 miles. At the stop sign, turn right onto TVA Rd and go 0.6 miles to reach the gravel parking area at the trailhead mentioned above. From there, the walk to the peninsula where I took most of the pics is approx. 2 miles. Look for a side trail on your left heading steeply down a bank; the peninsula is about 200 feet from the main trail. Walk to the far side of the peninsula for the best views.

5. From the parking area above, turn right on TVA Rd and go 0.3 miles to reach the dam. There are very nice views on both sides of the dam and from the visitors center past the dam.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 50,637 times
Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me the directions!! Now I can't go wrong any more. Just hoping that the weather will cooperate. Someone needs to blow away those rainclouds which weather.com shows for the area in its 10 day forecast

hadila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol