U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,468,334 times

Advertisements

So as many of you know I will be staying the tri cities later this month. I will arrive in the Tri-Cities on Saturday October 25 and be heading to Boone, NC late Tueday or even Wednesday. Now for my main concern, where in the Tri-Cities can I save the most money on lodging? I checked out the value place as a few members here mentioned but I won't be staying for seven nights as they charge. I only need lodging for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and maybe Tuesday. I guess I don't care if it's in a suburb of the tri-cities as long as I'm not in the middle of the sticks and I have wi-fi. I belong to AAA so I can save a few bucks but I still need some ideas of where to stay for under $80 a night.

Do you think it would be cheaper to stay in the tri cities and drive to Boone on Wednesday? I will be heading back home Thursday around noon.

Any help would be great!

Also is there any must see things I should do? I want to do a couple miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would love to know some areas for hiking and taking some photos please!

Thanks for all your help over the last few months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,894,700 times
My wife and I stayed at the AmericInn in Jonesborough for the week we were there. Very nice, quiet hotel. Our rate, I believe was $72-75 a night. I've stayed in AmericInns all over Wisconsin an Minnesota and have never been disappointed.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 19,956,542 times
Default There are several

Hello Joshb
I did a quick search on hotel.com, but you can check any of those travel sites, and I found several hotels in the area for less than $80 a night.
Unfortunately, the majority of us that live here, don't stay at hotels here hahahahaha. I personally can't speak to the quality of these, but maybe someone else who as visited recently can? Here are ones I found in your price range. I am only listing the ones that I think LOOK nice from the road as I have gone by.
Jameson Inn, Boones Creek Exit=$70
Red Roof Inn, just off Roan street by the Mall in JC=$60
Comfort Inn, off Elizabethton Exit, Hwy 321, but in JC =$ 65
Ramada Ltd., off Roan St, by the Bristol Hwy split, = $47

I did not plug in the AAA discount when looking, just did a quick search so you may get better?
I hope that helps and good luck!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,136,321 times
You should experience...

Ridgewood BBQ (you will need a map)
900 Elizabethton Hwy, Bluff City, TN - (423) 538-7543‎

If you're in Bristol, check out Steele Creek Park. I've always liked the walk/jog from Steele creek to Rooster Park. It is flat and mostly shaded.

If you're in Kpt, try Bays Mountain or Warriors Path State Park; both are very nice.

JC is close enough to Warriors Path.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 46,304 times
Planning a trip to JC myself, I have checked what must be hundreds of motel reviews for that city alone <g>

>>Jameson Inn, Boones Creek Exit=$70
Red Roof Inn, just off Roan street by the Mall in JC=$60
Comfort Inn, off Elizabethton Exit, Hwy 321, but in JC =$ 65
Ramada Ltd., off Roan St, by the Bristol Hwy split, = $47<<

Jameson Inn
= generally nice (I have stayed at that chain before ), but more expensive than the others. And it is way out north of JC.

Red Roof Inn:
on the plus side: I've spent numerous nights at that chain, and I NEVER heard a sound from the neighboring rooms. They have a reputation for strong walls / good soundproofing ( as long as it is an original Red Roof Inn and wasn't acquired from some other chain - watch for the RED roof!)
on the minus side: generally no breakfast, just coffee. And the worst: they advertize "now with wi-fi Internet" - sounds good, doesn't it? - but once you get there you learn that that service is provided by t-mobile and you can get it for an additional 10$/day. Arrrggghhhh.........

Ramada: that's the one I have now chosen for myself. AAA rate was around 59$ for one person.

I guess I would stay in Boone for that We night and drive part of the Blue Ridge. Motel rates during the week are reasonable even at fall foliage time (Super 8 AAA-ca 63$ one person).The Blue Ridge in the fall is just breathtaking. I would suggest going west from Boone, to the Moses Cone Park (nice trails, beautiful mansion; they have complimentary trailmaps) and Price Lake (hike around) e.g.
In the event of it being a 100% rain/zero visiblity day, you could still go to that large Outlet Center just across the Parkway in Blowing Rock.

hadila

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Thank you everyone!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 45,067 times
We are in the process of moving to the area and have visited several times over the last several months. The best hiking we have found is at Grandfather Mountain NC, it's about 45 min to 1 hour from JC but well worth the drive. Also you could check out Roan Mtn on the way to Grandfather mtn, about 30 mins away. Have fun that will be a great time for hiking.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 29,771,869 times
Be sure to check online for coupon codes for discounted rates. Also, a AAA card is a good investment if you travel a lot. Get the most inexpensive membership so you can get the card which enables you to obtain discounts.

Safe travels.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM

SMG, I just joined AAA last week so I'm in good shape there. I'm so looking forward to Tennessee and North Carolina. Finally!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 PM

30 posts, read 73,666 times
Whenever we travel to come to JC we stay at the Best Western on Roan Street. We love it there. The place is always clean, neat, affordable, and they put on a great breakfast spread!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol