U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 32,000 times

Advertisements

New member here. Great forum. My wife, 5 year old daughter, and I are heading to Kingsport for a week starting wednesday. What sights should we see? Is there anywhere I can take my daughter sledding? Any suggested activities? We've been to Gatlinburg area the last two years, and want to see more of the state this year. We want to cram as much as possible into our week long escape from Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 02:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,018,380 times
How funny! we are going to Fl on Friday from the Tri-Cities heheheheh. Just for the weekend, Brothers 40th, have to go!
Sorry to say but there won't be enough snow to go sledding unless you go up to Roan Mountain, which might be a nice road trip, but it is gonna be COLD!!!! unless you already have heavy winter coats, hats and gloves, I wouldn't suggest it, but if you do, go for it!
The hands on Museum and the library in Johnson City always has stuff going on for that age group.
You are lucky, I just happened to have picked up "The Loafer" this month it is a newspaper type circulation with all the Tri-Cities "happenings" for the month so lets see here:
Feb 24th Sigean Mountain River Concert Series at Sycamore Shoals State Historic Sight (Elizabethton) 7PM $5 for adults $2 for kids. This is Celtic music.

Feb 24th Young Bluegrass Musicians Contest Rogersville Middle school auditorium at 6pm.

March 3rd ETSU Pride Band at the Capital theater in Greeneville $10 per person.

That is all I see in there that might interest your 5 year old, but you can go to www.tricites.com and check the entertainment schedule and see what is around.
Have a fun safe, enjoyable trip!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 PM

12,810 posts, read 36,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJ View Post
New member here. Great forum. My wife, 5 year old daughter, and I are heading to Kingsport for a week starting wednesday. What sights should we see? Is there anywhere I can take my daughter sledding? Any suggested activities? We've been to Gatlinburg area the last two years, and want to see more of the state this year. We want to cram as much as possible into our week long escape from Florida.
Carter Fold! It's the Carter farm in Hiltons, Virginia, which is just over the state line from Kingsport. It's the Carter family farm, the same Carter family as June Carter Cash (Johnny Cash's wife). When Johnny Cash was still alive, he'd make periodic appearances. Every Saturday in their old tobacco barn they have live bluegrass and country concerts, with clogging if you want. It's only something like $5 per person, and it's the most entertaining $5 you'll ever spend. They also have food (BBQ, popcorn, hot dogs, etc.). Look up Carter Family Fold on Google to find their web site with maps and more information.

Otherwise, there's also Bays Mountain Park which has somewhat of a mini-zoo as well as a freshwater aquarium.

The city of Kingsport maintains a visitors' web site where you can find other things to do. www.kcvb.org

Have a great time!

Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,018,380 times
Thanks JMT, forgot about that web site. And thanks for the info on that farm, I didn't know about that and it is about in my backyard! I'll have to check that out someday too.
Oh, not sure if Bay's Mountain animal exhibits and such are open during winter months????? Be sure to check first.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Thanks JMT, forgot about that web site. And thanks for the info on that farm, I didn't know about that and it is about in my backyard! I'll have to check that out someday too.
Oh, not sure if Bay's Mountain animal exhibits and such are open during winter months????? Be sure to check first.
Oh my goodness, you've never been to Carter Fold? You are missing out!! My sister-in-law's parents lived in Jonesborough for something like 5 years, and they went to Carter Fold every single weekend, even in the dead of winter. They got to meet Johnny Cash a few times. It's REAL country music. The Carter family is often referred to as "the First Family of country music."

And even if you don't like country/bluegrass music (which I can understand) it's just so much fun to be there live and in person and to see the people clogging. As the band comes out to start warming up, you hear people in the audience start to put on their clogs, and at the first strum of bluegrass the older people descend from their seats down onto the concrete floor in front of the stage, almost as if their feet have already started to clog as soon as they rise from their seats. As the night wears on, the older people get tired and sit down, and then the younger people start clogging. Everyone clogs together, no matter how good or bad you are. Many people go to Carter Fold every week, rain or shine, heat or cold. It really is one of the most enjoyable, most wholesome, most "American" things you can do that doesn't break your budget.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 32,000 times
Thanks for the information.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,641,995 times
Wow! The Carter Family Fold sounds awesome. How far of a drive is that from Knoxville?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow! The Carter Family Fold sounds awesome. How far of a drive is that from Knoxville?
It really is! I think it's just over 100 miles from Knoxville, and it's an EASY drive. I-40 to I-81 all the way to I-26, then take I-26/I-181 (whatever it's called these days) through Kingsport, then turn right almost as soon as you get into Virginia and just follow the signs. Just add ".com" to Carter Family Fold and you'll get their web site with more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol