Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,589 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! My name is Mark, I'm 43, married with 2 daughters (1 at home and 1 on her own) and I'm currently living in Port Orange (Daytona Bch) FL. I just put in an application to work for the National Parks Service in Greeneville, Tn. It looks like they need someone to take care of Ol' Andy Johnson's former properties and I would consider it an honor to be selected to keep up President Johnson's houses and grounds. By the looks of things, I'm in the running to get the job. I've worked for the City of Port Orange for 23 years now and Florida has had its way with me for too long a time. I am interested in the Greeneville and Greene County area because it seems similar to the area I grew up in: Greenville, Greene County New York (isn't it funny how sometimes life comes completely back around full circle at ya?!). The area is absolutely beautiful and it reminds me very much of the Northern Catskills that I spent most of my free time roaming and camping in during my formative years. From what I can see, the mountains are east of town by about 10 miles or so. How close to mountains can you live? Are they part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? If not, are they in some sort of state park or national forest? Is camping permitted and are there trails? The little bit of internet detective work I've done shows me that Greeneville's a quaint town and close enough to the cities and hospitals to make it just about perfect. My wife has a variety of ailments ranging from Diabetes to Heart Disease to Lupus so, medical facilities need to be within easy access for us. I am looking for a house to buy or rent that would have a Mother-In-Law apartment included because Mom is thinking of coming up with us or very soon thereafter. Please respond when you get a minute and give me your thoughts on the area, recreational facilities and housing. Thanx for your time... MarkyApp (Mark A)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
You can live fairly close to the mountains, but most all the mountains in Greene County are in the Cherokee National Forest (not the Great Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park). There are campgrounds there. The Appalachian Trail actually runs through Greene County; so there is clearly some good hiking in the area. If you need to be close to medical facilities, you'll have to stay a little further out from the mountains. I'd look in South Greene area and East Greene county (Afton, Chuckey). Property/housing is pretty cheap and you are not all that far from the hospital if need be.

One caveat: You may get some grief for being a halfback (or just grief for not being a local). Other than that, good luck, it is a great area!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 12,589 times
Default Thanx for response

AppalachianAngler: Thanks for responding! Just how much do they dislike halbacks? I may be a Yankee (originally) but I assure you, I'm a country boy at heart! MarkA

Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM

33 posts, read 139,637 times
Heheh...I get called halfback all the time, but it's mostly in good fun and doesn't bother me. I'm originally from CT then moved to FL now am in Greeneville and looooove it! Good luck on getting the job, I think you would really enjoy living here! Feel free to pm me as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNorBUST View Post
Heheh...I get called halfback all the time, but it's mostly in good fun and doesn't bother me. I'm originally from CT then moved to FL now am in Greeneville and looooove it! Good luck on getting the job, I think you would really enjoy living here! Feel free to pm me as well.
Well, it looks like TNorBust and I lived parallel lives. LOL! I too and from CT, then lived in FL, lived in Greene county for 5 years then moved to Johnson City. hhahhaha
Yes, I too get called halfback and Yank, but it is always in good fun.
I agree on the job, I had a lot of problem in Greeneville area getting a job and was told out right several times it was because I had " a long funny last name". I heard the phrase " you ain't from around here are you?" more times than halfbacker or yank. If it were me, I would be SURE you had the job before the move happened.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM

mbmouse.....I guess it's a good thing my hard to pronounce Italian last name went bye bye when I got married - before I moved here lol. My married name is probably the most common here so I never hear any remarks about it lol. That's neat that you also lived in CT and FL, what parts if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
mbmouse.....I guess it's a good thing my hard to pronounce Italian last name went bye bye when I got married - before I moved here lol. My married name is probably the most common here so I never hear any remarks about it lol. That's neat that you also lived in CT and FL, what parts if you don't mind me asking?
This is just TOO funny! It is a long, hard to pronounce Italian last name hahahahha. I got married and changed to a local name AFTER I moved out of Greeneville hahahahaha
Originally, just between Colchester and East Haddam CT then South East Coast FL just north of West Palm.
Now if you tell me you are from or actually know where East Haddam is, then moved to Tequesta or close and now to Greeneville I am going to call that just way to weird! LOL!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM

mbmouse...LOL looks like we've lived pretty close to each other in both CT and FL! I know exactly where East Haddam is, been through there many times! I lived most of my live in CT, being born in Stamford but grew up in Branford. I moved to FL in '95 and did live somewhat close to Tequesta - West Palm, for several years then Delray Beach for several more years until I moved to G'ville in Aug. 2007. Too, too funny!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
mbmouse...LOL looks like we've lived pretty close to each other in both CT and FL! I know exactly where East Haddam is, been through there many times! I lived most of my live in CT, being born in Stamford but grew up in Branford. I moved to FL in '95 and did live somewhat close to Tequesta - West Palm, for several years then Delray Beach for several more years until I moved to G'ville in Aug. 2007. Too, too funny!
Ok, now I am scared! LOL! You and I have just GOT to meet for coffee someday hahahahhahahaa
There are only about 5,000 or so people in the world who know where East Haddam is even though "Annie" (the musical) opened there, let alone been there
How funny would it be if we already know each other!!??

Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 AM

83 posts, read 258,560 times
Well, I'll add my experience here,..... we just very recently moved to Greeneville. We have only been here about a month. We came all the way from extreme northeastern Vermont ! Talk about a yankee, right ? We had been forewarned by people that had lived in NC in the past, that you were a yankee and they didn't like yankees in this area. BUT we have not personlly encountered any such feelings. We have found the people here to be the MOST genuinley warm and friendly people we have encountered in a very long time.

Mark, it is amazing the parallels you mentioned. Tom and I were born and raised in Dayton, Ohio. We belonged to the Greene County Reserve, where we fished and camped. And now, here we are living in Greene County, but now it's Greene County in Tn, not Ohio. We had been living in Vt. for the last 17 years. And the landscape is so similar to the Greeneville area, if you fell asleep in the car and traveled from Tn to Vt, you would not think you had left Tn...... that is one of the reasons we settled here. It reminds us of Vt. so much ! But we are pleased to say, we like wintah , (LOL) here in Tn much better than Vt.

There ARE 2 hospitals in Greeneville, but I don't have any idea of how much they are on the cutting edge of medicine......

I hope you get the job the applied for !! Good luck !

Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol