Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

I live in Nashville and I would say Brentwood is the most progressive in our area - it embraces new technology -a lot of entrepreneurial types starting their own businesses, very upscale populated by a diverse population coming here from all over the country - well educated, high income, informed - if it has an old boy network, it comes from somewhere else.
What would its twin city be in your area? Or is there a city pointed in that direction and not quite there yet but trying to attract biotech, nanotech, and tech service ? Where young educated kids from other parts of the country are moving to for jobs? Where money is coming into the city as investable capital with an eye toward future growth.
Other cities I put in this category would be Greenville South Carolina.

Thanks!

If it does not exist in the tri cities, where else might it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well, not sure about Kingsport, but both Bristol and Johnson City are progressing nicely, but I would not say
"upscale" or "high income". Mainly just alot of development going on in the way of shops/businesses (retail).

High income and Tri-Cities are not in the same vocabulary, unless you are a doctor, attorney or work at Eastman.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
No, very few people move to the Tri-Cities for jobs, especially college graduates. If they come, it's for medical at ETSU-JC Med, to teach at ETSU or as an engineer at Eastman in Kingsport. Johnson City's med-tech corridor was aimed at this sort of (bio)techy growth, but so far it is mostly medical development associated with Johnson City's ballooning medical field.

The most progressive town, those parameters aside, is by far Johnson City. There are hundreds of young people from all over the world here as a result of East TN State. Today, I interacted with a Pakistani lady and two Indian men. We have a small but thriving indie music scene fueled by the Down Home, the Acoustic Coffeehouse et. al. And of course there is ETSU and all that goes along with mid sized (13k) universities. You'd be hard pressed to find that sort of diversity anywhere else east of Knoxville and/or north of Chattanooga.

Still, though, if you're looking to move (maybe you were just curious? ), and are interested in growth/progressive attitudes, I would regretfully say to give the TRI a wide berth.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
[quote=jabogitlu;6177898]No, very few people move to the Tri-Cities for jobs, especially college graduates. If they come, it's for medical at ETSU-JC Med, to teach at ETSU or as an engineer at Eastman in Kingsport. Johnson City's med-tech corridor was aimed at this sort of (bio)techy growth, but so far it is mostly medical development associated with Johnson City's ballooning medical field....quote

Thanks for that info - I am moving my business so am open to city.
What about Chattanooga area? with the infusion of VW perhaps that will show more growth - auto assembly is not biotech I understand.
So if I get this area right, it is physically beautiful, cheap to live in, but the underlying culture, less progressive nature compared to the northeast US and the majority of the demographics leaves a lot to be desired.

If you could move anywhere, all things being equal where would you go?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Johnson City is definitely the "progressive" city in the tri-cities. Kingsport, is comparably pretty conservative. I prefer Kingsport to Johnson City, in the tri-cities, actually. And now that Kingsport has a lot more major retail--and more on the way--it's appealing, even though much more conservative.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Saying that the "underlying culture [is] less progressive ... compared to the northeast US" is overwhelmingly an understatement.

If I could move anywhere, all things being equal? Probably somewhere in Massachusetts. Or maybe Minneapolis. I like that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol