U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 AM

158 posts, read 279,896 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. I am still researching cities there for us to make our next home (cant wait! I love it there). Could anyone give me any info on Limestone Tn such as about the schools,(middle and jr high) Rentals/lease purchase homes, (would love a fixer upper farmhouse in the country, with electrical working fine), stores there, churches, pics, more info? I looked it up on city data main page but it wouldnt come up. Please and thank you. have a great day. gingerpeaches
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,909,592 times
We moved to Limestone two-plus years ago to a great old farmhouse on a big creek. It is a really beautiful country area, located about 30 minutes from Johnson City and Greeneville. Lots of gently rolling hills, green meadows and gorgeous mountain views. As to amenities, there really isn't much here - a few little stores, lots of churches and farm supply business scattered throughout the area plus one bank in the old town of Limestone. I wish there were more of a village center; but only 15 minutes away is beautiful, quaint Jonesborough with nice restaurants and some basic shopping (like the Dollar Store, pharmacies and three big grocery stores). If you like rural areas and privacy, Limestone is a perfect place to settle.
As to schools, our kids are grown so I can't speak to that although there is a brand new elementary school close by. I don't know how one would go about finding a property to rent or buy here except maybe looking for an agent who lives here (maybe someone on the forum could make a suggestion). There is no newspaper/publication that specifically reports on news here (wish there were). There are some great old farmhouses - many unoccupied - along the country roads that traverse this area. Perhaps you could just post what you're looking for at one of the little stores. Johnny's Exxon station on 11E might be a good spot! It seems like that's where many locals hang out. You could also go to Realtor.com and plug in 'Limestone' and see what comes up. There're also a bunch of for sale by owner sites on-line you could check. With the current real estate market on the decline you might find an owner who'd be willing to do a lease-purchase.
One last attribute of Limestone is Washington College, one of the oldest colleges in the area. Although it is no longer a functioning school its historic 18th century(?) architecture and lovely setting seem to reflect the area's once apparently prosperous history. I'd love to see the 'college' revived as a center for Appalachian arts, music, etc.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more than the superficials. Best of luck with your search!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeaches View Post
Good morning all. I am still researching cities there for us to make our next home (cant wait! I love it there). Could anyone give me any info on Limestone Tn such as about the schools,(middle and jr high) Rentals/lease purchase homes, (would love a fixer upper farmhouse in the country, with electrical working fine), stores there, churches, pics, more info? I looked it up on city data main page but it wouldnt come up. Please and thank you. have a great day. gingerpeaches
Hello gingerpeaches. We are looking to move to Limestone area and do our dream of organic "living off the land" thing in our retirement years. Can you give us any input since 2008?
Dirt Lover

Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,756,112 times
Limestone and nearby Telford are beautiful, once-quaint small towns that have downtown centers begging to be revitalized. The region (Jonesborough, Greeneville, Limestone, Telford) was once at the forefront of progressive thought (Sam Doak, Elihu Embree, Hezekiah Balch) and the vestiges remain throughout the countryside. You could probably find a beautiful old farmhouse (most likely to be restored) with a few acres to do your living off the land thing.

There are more and more people in the area that feel as you do. Last night, I attended an event at the Jonesborough Visitors' Center that had to do with uses of local and native plants.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,563,447 times
I live in Telford and can say that the Telford, Limestone, Chucky areas are just absolutely beautiful. We moved here from FL in '07. Just come and see the area and you'll love it.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 12,512 times
Reviving an old thread to see where ginger peaches ended up. We just bought 16 gorgeous acres in Limestone and are SO excited. I’m looking to get to know more people there before we build our barndominium and make our move in 2021!

Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 AM

59 posts, read 55,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Lover View Post
We are looking to move to Limestone area and do our dream of organic "living off the land" thing in our retirement years.
I would caution anyone thinking of 'living off the land' after retirement to consider it carefully. This is assuming that retirement is at age 66 or older. Living off the land is physically demanding and 66+ is when many health issues begin to crop up.

My greater concern would be where the nearest medical facility is located.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM

28,286 posts, read 21,204,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pameladeville View Post
Reviving an old thread to see where ginger peaches ended up. We just bought 16 gorgeous acres in Limestone and are SO excited. I’m looking to get to know more people there before we build our barndominium and make our move in 2021!
My big question wouldn't be about the area itself - Limestone is great ag bottomland and you can do great farming there. It's the best in the area there.

However, rural areas here are fairly closed off to outsiders and people have social circles composed of people who have been here for years.

Where are you coming from? What are you looking for socially/culturally? Rural east TN is an insular place.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 354 times
I love living in Limestone. It reminds me of the old tv comedy "Green Acres". The rolling hills are beautiful and fertile. Limestone is located between Jonesborough and Greeneville, TN. Most of Limestone is still farmland which makes it very attractive to visit. Contrary to what people might think, I found the neighbors to be warm and welcoming. I moved here from Maryland in 2015. There is no trick to making friends. Just be who you are, be warm and friendly and that's exactly what you'll get in return. Although I'd selfishly like to see Limestone remain just as it is I would certainly recommend the area to my friends and family. Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol