U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 75,488 times

Advertisements

Great threat and thank all of you for being this consciencious with your responses!

My wife Catherine and I are also interested in your area; will most likely fly down Feb or Mar 2009.

I have been doing some research on land/ acreage and found a huge difference in price - looking for 3-10 acrease, I see an acre can go for $15.000 to $150,000.00?

Being able to get 3-10 acres for less than $50,000 would be great? Can anyone shed any light into the realty business in your area?

Again, thank you all in advance,
Rainer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,663,840 times
Location, location, location! hahahahha
Land is different prices do to where it sits, how "usable" the land is, how steep it is, how flat and build able it is, there are lots of reasons why the price of land can be different per acre. Can you get 3-10 acres for less than 50k? I would say so, but it won't be easy to find and it won't be all "usable" land. It will also probably be far outside any city limits, but that is not a bad thing, such as county only property taxes.

Any other questions, please ask away, lots of good folks on here who love to talk about the areas they love.
Oh, and I moved your post to it's own thread so you would get some more answers and ideas about the area.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,726,026 times
Land around here is crazy on prices from $5000 an acre to $150,000. Normally the most logical way to get $5000 an acre is by buying 5 acres and up, usually 1 to 2 acres is in the range of $25,000 per acre, economy sized discount for bigger pieces.

I drive through Elizabethton daily going to school, I would not want to drive it daily forever. There is nothing magic in land values anywhere around here, I would buy in the county as close to Johnson City as I could (due to gas costs) but that's just me. I bought acreage 15 min out of town that I'm now selling as it was just too far to deal with everyday. I then bought right near JC, between Elizabethon and JC, so my commute is very short to both school and town and yet still in the county.

Good luck with your land purchase, just remember that TN has some peculiar rules on raw land, you have to have a certain number of feet of your land on a public road to be useable. You can sell non-useable land here, which I still don't see how it's allowed, so be careful.

Tony

Old 11-26-2008, 02:08 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,850,306 times
More or less, it depends on common sense factors. If your acre sits beside Walmart, you can sell it for a lot more than if it sits ten miles outside the city limits. Other factors can include, as mentioned, usability (there are tons of random hills and other strange geographic features here), water runoff problems, and more importantly - if a developer could use it.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Thank you all tons for your answers - truly appreciated!

Coming from upstate NY, we also have land spreading from $1,000 to $15,000 per acre, but that is usually the highest. Of course, if you go into Albany NY, there is no acre to be had

Do any of you have any suggestions of realtors in your area?
Rainer

Old 11-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Default How bad is drug use?

Hello again,

the wife and I are continuing to get information about the tri-city area. Do you have any infomration on community drug use in your area? I work in the medical field and see the drug related problems coming into the ER's.

Rainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol