Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I was born here in March of 1976.
Schweet!!!! That's cool you've stuck to your roots as others have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM

19 posts, read 51,152 times
My father did his medical residency here starting in 1989. I've previously lived in Nashville, Ga; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Enigma, Ga; Jacksonville, FL; Orem, Ut; and Boynton Beach, FL. This is by far my favorite place I have ever lived. After farm life in South Georgia, I was thrilled to see all that the area had to offer while maintaining a sense of charm. At the time, there were more fields in town (like the areas on Knob Creek). Although that has decreased some, the area is still beautiful and the people nice.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
JoshB, yep, Cherokee. Of course everyone native to this area claims to be somewhat Cherokee, usually.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
I was born in Bristol in 1985. In 2007, I decided I needed to uproot and see the world a bit ... so I moved to Johnson City. It's been a long and tumultuous journey; however I remain awestruck by the bright lights of HWY11-E and the sundry of establishments that the city has to offer, namely Education and Java Rush.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,151 times
I grew up in Johnson City on a farm, though I moved away after college (1976) I came back in 1991. I now live on what's left of my family's farm with husband, daughter, 22 alpacas, 2llamas, 3 goats, 2 pigs, 3 dogs and a cat. I've seen many changes. Some are good, - others disturb me. My family roots are deep and I love family being near. The Tri-Cities is one of the most beautiful places I've been and I've been to alot of places. There's so much here for people to enjoy and I am glad to be home. I used to say East Tn. was God's best kept secret.... but now the secret is out. Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I was born in Kingsport in 1971. I grew up pretty much in Church Hill. Although I no longer live in the area (in Stamford, CT now). The area is gorgeous and every time I visit, I do miss it.
My parents have different stories about their past and the tri-cities: My father was born in a house in Church Hill in the late 1930s--near Old Stage Road. His mother and father worked in the elementary and middle schools in the 20s/30s/40s in Church Hill. His father was also born in Hawkins County, while his mother moved to the area from Ireland.
My mother was born in Barboursville, KY in the mid '40s, and her family moved to Surgoinsville, TN in the mid 1960s--for construction jobs. She met my dad while working at a factory in Church Hill/Surgoinsville.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM

92 posts, read 316,827 times
In 1995, I was going to move from CT to TX to live with some friends. When planning my possible drive, I found Johnson City to be about 12 hours away, and a good first stopping point. I never did move there. In 1996, I was in an AOL chat room and a guy mentioned that he was from JC and no one in the chat room knew where that was except me. So, we got to talking and a year later, we were married!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Great stories everyone! I love hearing where y'all are from!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Mom wanted to leave the Southern California desert, and my sister needed to get out of Florida's Treasure Coast. They got a map out, looked for a low-key place with a sense of four seasons ... and there you go, Tri-Cities. I wish they had looked at the job market a little more closely first, though.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Well...

I grew up in CT, got forced to move to S. E.FL before I had a choice, was young and dumb, got married and had 2 kids. When the oldest started school in FL, I said " No way! I am getting back to the country life to raise my kids." Then husband got a job in Knoxville but I did not want to live in the city so we landed in Jefferson County. Well....that was a little bit "too" country for me. Then we moved to Greene Co. bought an old farm house, got a divorce and was there for 5 years. After some time my boys grew out of the school and was tough to get a better job in Greene Co. Started working and commuting to JC, was tough as a single Mom so I sold the house and moved to JC, met a wonderful native Tennessean (and yes, has traceable lines to his Cherokee roots hahahha), fell in love again and got married. So, took me almost 10 years in TN to find the Tri-Cities area but now that I am finally here, I will be here for ever God willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol