U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM

168 posts, read 601,474 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the flooding situation is like in the tri-cities region? Here in NE PA, the rural areas are very prone to creek and stream flooding. Anytime we have five-seven days of heavy rains, or in the spring when the snow pack melts quickly, basements flood, some lawns develop ponds, and small bridges occasionally get taken out.
The main rivers have been ok as levees were built after Hurricane Agnes in '72, when downtown Wilkes-Barre was decimated by the flooding. The levees have held, though the water has crested upwards of 35+ feet several times, fairly close to overflowing the banks.
So I'm wondering if the tri-cities lakes, streams and ponds are prone to flooding at all? How about the rivers, like the Holston? Do most houses have submerged basements, and if so, do they get much water during heavy precipitation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 08:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,013,648 times
Honestly, I can't think of anywhere in the Tri-Cities that would have flooding issues. I do know that up in Butler and Hampton, which are in the Roan mountain area, did have some flooding issues a few years back, but nothing major, no homes or bridge wash outs, just a few roads with water over them. I do know a few areas in South Greene County such as horse creek and Camp Creek have flooding issues, but other than that. I can't think of any. No, haven't heard of basement flooding problems either, but that isn't to say there aren't any. There are not basements in all homes here either.
Hope that helps!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM

408 posts, read 1,880,913 times
I haven't lived in the area too long and I've not heard much about flooding so far. Though I did read in the paper that the reason Elizabethton had to rebuild a small dam in town was because the old one washed away in a flood. The article said that the flooding was from part of a hurricane (I think from '04) coming through. It was probably a tropical depression or something similar as it was coming through TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol