U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 AM

106 posts, read 196,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denno View Post
i am thinking of switching from dish to direct because they tell me i can get all my locals in hd. but according to these post that is not true. is direct not telling me the truth?
If you live in the Tri-Cities area, the only local station we currently get in HD is CBS. A well informed DirecTV employee that frequents another forum I read has suggested that may change between now and the Superbowl as DirecTV is aggressively rolling out additional local HD stations. No official committment or statement has been made about this though.

I've been with DirecTV for several years and have been very happy with them. This HD issue is the only 'bone' I have to pick with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 AM

8,776 posts, read 14,208,937 times
I"ve had Direct and Dish both. I'll stick with Dish.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM

92 posts, read 295,144 times
We have had DirecTv for a long time now but for locals in HD we put an antenna up on the house. LOVE it! Wouldn't do it any other way.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
Today December 29th. 5:30am, get up early to watch the news on Direct TV and wake up a lil. Only to see error code (771), Called customer support was on hold for roughly 8 minutes not normal. Then finally get through (thank GOD for an on shore operator and not some person in India, {damn I hate getting routed over seas, and not understanding a friggin word} , any who I got through). Told Him my delemia, their excuse in a nut shell is this , the transponder that repeats the local channels nation wide is down. I was like um ok, why haven't y'all fixed this months ago ? Sir this is not the first time its happened , this happened a month ago in NOV, and also back in August. He said most the nation is out for local stations today on Direct TV. The southeast, some of the Midwest and Northwestern USA is without the local channels on Direct TV. So here we sit waiting, and stuck watching our locals on crappy UHF antenna's, because they are too damn lazy here in the LC valley to switch the friggin Spokane dials to Digital, talk bout ****. Damnit, a lil pissed off here, paying extra for the locals and get this friggin error code. like WTF. grr.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM

128 posts, read 305,984 times
Time Warner cable is possibly getting rid of the Fox network as well -- as Fox was demanding substancially more money than the previous year for continuing their services with that cable provider -- i suspect it is the same issue elsewhere..... what's fox going to do when they have no business?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 PM

231 posts, read 599,684 times
Default Comparison of Dish and DirecTV

Can anyone that has had both of these give me a quick comparison? I am curious because we have had DirecTV for over 10 years and 2 moves and have been happy with it. However, today I got a call from Embarq/CenturyLink and they have a bundle deal with Dish that is about $55 cheaper / month for basically the same channels. There are a few differences...but no huge ones as far as I can tell. We have all the basic channels but no movie channels nor sports packages, so I'm not worried about those. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM

140 posts, read 321,353 times
Dish is cheaper than DirecTV. In addition, with Dish you can feed two TV's with separate programming with one receiver saving the monthly extra receiver fee.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,698,168 times
I have Dish and have for several years now. Mom and Dad had Direct. They wanted to add a third TV in the house, they could not. They switched to Dish and it was much cheaper and they like it better, said the guide portion was easier to read.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

231 posts, read 599,684 times
Default DirecTV vs. Dish

Thanks for the input. That is odd mbmouse that they couldn't add another TV...we have four TVs and four boxes....and you can actually add a power booster to any of them to ad a 5th TV (but it has to be on the same channel as the TV it is connected to.)

We've been happy with DirecTV but I think we are going to switch to Dish. It looks like the only channel we'll miss that we watch is Sprout, and really my 3.5 year old DS doesn't watch it that much.

I am glad to know everyone likes Dish also. Switching always makes me nervous.

Separately, I should say since we moved we have LOVED Embarq. Our internet connection is fast and rarely ever goes down. It is WAY better than the cable internet we had where we used to live.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,698,168 times
Direct was going to charge them to add another TV, dish didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol