Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times

Advertisements

In this area do people tip the sanitation truck driver, the paper delivery guy, the mailman? The guy who does the yard work? I would guess it's probably standard practice in most places but I wanted to ask first, there might be different customs here.
What's the typical way here to say thank you to these people, and let them know I appreciate them? Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM

7,532 posts, read 17,213,141 times
I've never heard of this before. It might even be illegal for the mailman to accept tips.

As for your yard guy, I'd say you employ him, you can do whatever you want there.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,346,193 times
The mailman is allowed to accept 5 dollars a day, like who is going to refuse a christmas tip? As a former rural mail carrier, a christmas tip is remembered and very much appreciated. As were the cookies and chocolates left in the mail box for me.
Pam

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM

712 posts, read 1,486,535 times
The sanitation truck driver? paper delivery guy? I hope thats not customary because I certainly have never heard of anything like that and I have never tipped these people. Doubt I would even if it was customary, seems silly to me

Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM

383 posts, read 918,309 times
If i see them, I tip everybody at christmas..always have. Paper person, mail guy, etc - I've never tipped the sanitation guy.

edit to add: specifically dubblet, I usually give $5-$10 depending upon what they do and how well they do it. Some may get a little more...labor intensive jobs where I hired the person would be an example of that.

He**, I tip when it's not christmas. The guys that delivered my furniture, the guys that moved some furniture for me, the guys that installed the alarm, the cable guy that went out of his way to make sure my problems were taken care of...people just feel good when you throw them a few bucks for lunch or the beverage of their choice.

But, if you have a crappy attitude, you aren't getting jack.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I've never heard of this before. It might even be illegal for the mailman to accept tips.
That's why I wanted to know how it works here. In my Memphis n'hood if you didn't tip the garbage collectors, for the next six months you'd find your garbage can lying in your driveway when you came home from work on trash day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
The mailman is allowed to accept 5 dollars a day, like who is going to refuse a christmas tip? As a former rural mail carrier, a christmas tip is remembered and very much appreciated. As were the cookies and chocolates left in the mail box for me.
Pam
I thought there were restrictions on the mail carrier but didn't know what they they were. You think a gift card to the grocery store would be good? My mail carrier is exceptional, and I often forget to put my flag down, so I want to get her something she'll find useful.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,346,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's why I wanted to know how it works here. In my Memphis n'hood if you didn't tip the garbage collectors, for the next six months you'd find your garbage can lying in your driveway when you came home from work on trash day.

I thought there were restrictions on the mail carrier but didn't know what they they were. You think a gift card to the grocery store would be good? My mail carrier is exceptional, and I often forget to put my flag down, so I want to get her something she'll find useful.
Yes, by all means do that for your mail carrier, that's a great idea!
Pam

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM

284 posts, read 758,748 times
Yes, we tipped all of the folks that you mentioned - in West Tennessee, Texas, Miami, LA, NO (to name a few places I've lived). It is indeed customary in many cities/states. I just moved to the area - my father says he tips them, and has for the 25 years that he's been in JC. Regardless of whether it is a custom here, I'd do it anyway. (It appears perhaps that it's not.)

Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,620,553 times
Here, it's seen as optional and at your discretion. I certainly don't think there will be retaliation for not tipping ... but perhaps that is even a better reason to do it.

I tip based on the service I get, if someone gives above acceptable effort, I want them to know I appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,801,451 times
When I delivered newspapers 30+ years ago in Kingsport, most of my customers gave me $5-10 around Christmas. My parents in Church Hill have always left a gift for their mail carriers over the years. FWIW, USPS workers and other civil servants can only accept non-cash gifts up to $20 in value.
Holiday Tips: Consumer Reports Survey results
Holiday tipping, holiday tipping review, Consumer Reports, survey, 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol