Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Johnson city or Morristown ? Looking for a low crime area with abundant apartments for rent.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,400 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from school in May and might possibly be moving to JC or Morristown area. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the areas and which one a single 34y/o guy would probably like more? What is there to do in these areas? Is there a place inbetween the two that is nice to live in with low crime and good values on housing? Any and all help is welcome! I am going to look at the area in a week or so, but was trying to get a heads up before I even go there as to what to look for.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Hmm.... hard to say. I'm going to have to go with the tried and true, "Please come visit and see for yourself."

Morristown is a LOT closer to Knoxville, East Tennessee's economic, social and cultural hub and basically "the" only place with a very active nightlife (well, except for Gatlinburg, but that's different). However, Morristown is a strange, dirty little town and its future doesn't look to be picking up any. (Just my opinion, of course.)

Johnson City is quite a few steps ahead of Morristown. There is a large and growing medical community here fueled by two large (comparatively) hospital systems and East TN State University's School of Medicine and new College of Pharmacy. We also have (obviously) ETSU and the usual downtown bar/music haunts and assorted retail (Target - TJ Maxx - Ross - Old Navy - Best Buy et. al.).

However, JC is a good hour and a half drive from Knoxville. So it really depends on what you're looking for. Yeah, you're a single 34 year old guy, but what do you like to do? How large of a city do you prefer to live in? Johnson City is a bit closer to good mountainy outdoorsy stuff, and is a good way away from the over-touristed Great Smokey Mountains.

Johnson City and Morristown are an hour or so apart (on a good day) so finding a place between the two is sort of iffy. If you're dead set on it, the only recommendation I have is Greeneville, a pleasant town of 16k (but with its county-burb it feels more like 25 or 30k) about 30-40 minutes from Morristown and 25-45 minutes from JC (depending on which side of Greeneville you live - it's very long).

If you can give us a better picture of yourself, I'm sure we could help you out a bit more. The main question I'd be asking myself is will Johnson City suffice for all my needs, or will I find myself going to Knoxville often?

ETA - the Tri-Cities (of which JC is a part) have a great, very active traditional, folk and bluegrass music scene fueled by Bristol [birthplace of country music] and ETSU's Bluegrass program. So if you're into the jam-music scene at all, you'd like it here. There are tons of evening/night festivals in the spring through fall all over, from Jonesborough to Kingsport. Of course, a lot of the same can be found in Knoxville, but I've found [and again, this is my opinion!] that the music produced a bit farther NE here in JC is a bit more homegrown feeling. Not knocking Ktown, I loved it there when I lived there.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
I can't think of any logical reason that a 34y/o male would go to Morristown. It's the armpit of East TN.

JC, Greeneville, Jonesborough, or any of the Tri-Cities would be better options. Greeneville/Jonesborough are places in between the two that are nice to live in with low crime and good values on housing.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Personally, doesn't matter what age, I'd go with JC over M'town for sure! But...that is just me.
Defiantly make the trip and check them out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol