Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

350 posts, read 1,114,385 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm pondering relocating in the near future and we're looking at the tri-city area. Can anyone give me info on what the smoking laws (cigs) are in Tennessee, what we can expect weather wise (I don't want a lot of snow). I would love to actually have 4 seasons. Where I am it's winter/fog, 1 week of spring and bam... summer. Hot up until October. Then we have a brief fall and then fog and haze. My husband is a hunter.. is there good hunting around the area, if so, what kind of game? We want to live close to amenities, but far enough out to have a couple of acres for our horse & mule, dogs & cat, and a house not huge, but big enough (2500+ sq. ft.) for when family visits. We would pay around $350,000 or so. Is that doable in that area? Are property taxes outrageous? Any other info would be appreciated. We're nearing retirement (still young though)... would like to fish, maybe hike. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Default Hi

Hi Momojojo, long time no talk to LOL!
There are a lot of great folks here on the forum who love to talk about the areas of the Tri-Cities they love so you should get lots of views and opinions.
I think you can find what you are looking for here as far as land for animals not far from a larger city. You can go to the city-data pages for each city, they are: Johnson City (pop about 60k) Kingsport (pop about 45k) and Bristol (pop about 25k, but that doesn't include Bristol VA, the city is divided by the state line.)
For the most part, around each of these cities is either bedroom type areas like Gray and Colonial Heights. In other areas are farm land such as Telford, Surgoinsville, and Pinney Flats. There are a few historic type towns in the area too like Jonesborough and Elizabethton.
350k for a house plus a couple of acres is very doable. Property taxes...you will laugh, very cheep compared to where you are now (CA).
Hunting, yes, there is hunting deer and wild turkey. I am sure there is more game than that but I do not hunt, just heard of others on here talking about it.
4 distinct seasons here, not too much snow at all, maybe an inch or so at a time but it melts off quick usually. Summer can have some very humid days but again, doesn't usually last too long. Spring and fall are gorgeous!
Lots of hiking and out door activities.
Search through these threads, lots of good info and if there is anything you don't find, just ask.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM

16 posts, read 50,461 times
Ditto on what mbmouse said... Fall and Spring are fantastic here. Not sure about hunting. Tennessee does not allow smoking in most public places, especially restaurants, except those that only allow people over 21.

Greg

Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Yep, the law is no smoking in public places except a few bars etc. I'm not sure what the exact law is but they have to be 21+ and It hink they can only serve a certain percentage of food.

A few places, like ETSU, are smoke free entirely, even outside.

Is there *any* way you could visit before you move? Deciding which area you like best (Johnson City, Kingsport or Bristol) will help you figure out around where you want to move. Buying a house in Limestone, but ending up preferring Bristol city amenities would be a bad move. Then it may be that you really don't like this area at all.

Also would you prefer flatland or hilly/more mountainous? There is some great flatland between Johnson City and Kingsport (around Bluff City / the Piney Flats area - around Elizabethton) but then if you keep going down toward Erwin/Unicoi or further up towards Flag Pond the land turns more hilly.

Of course I use the term "flat" very loosely. Most of the time here, even the flattest of land has random hills and the mountains are always in view.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM

We'll absolutely visit first. We're visiting TX in April. Our next trip will be to TN, KY & NC. I've visited the east coast, FL, AR, and spent time in IL & MO. Really looking forward to visiting your neck of the woods. I was following the posts of Younglisa and her husband who are "going off the grid" and building a berm home in TN. Absolutely gorgeous! Cant' wait. Thanks for all your input.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 73,180 times
This is one of the most affordable areas IMO regarding housing, food, etc... The only drawback - Employment. It is extremely difficult to find a job in this area unless you can establish ties with the good ole boy network. So be warned, have a job first before relocating. Otherwise, I think you will find this area to be wonderful. I have traveled the world and this is one of the nicest areas I found. I do miss metropolitan areas but this is close to heaven.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:02 PM

36 posts, read 148,140 times
Others have answered most of your questions, so I will stick to two:

Hunting. On my own property near Kingsport are lots of deer, turkey, grouse and even an occasional black bear. Then there is the small game - rabbit, squirrel, groundhog, etc.

Taxes: Our personal example -- In NY State near Albany we owned exactly one acre, on which stood our 27-year-old raised-ranch house. Then we bought our property here - 200 acres with 8-year old house, 40-foot steel workshop building, large new barn. Total taxes? One-sixth of what we paid on the NY property! And we don't have to give TN 18% of our earnings for income tax as we did to NY.

I think you'll like it here...

-dan z-

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks danielz. Tennessee sounds awesome. I can't wait to visit. 200 acres! Heaven! My husband would give his left arm for a 40 ft. steel workshop, barn. Wow. He's going bear hunting in Washington in August. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol