Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 45,791 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the tri-cities area in May, combining vacation with a search for our "best place to retire". Our initial plan is to stay in Johnson City while driving around the area and looking at available property. If you have experience with a local realtor you would like to recommend, please forward the information. Also:
If you have retired to this area, what do you think of the healthcare system? We will have health insurance.
We belong to the US Practical Shooters Association, is there a USPSA club and gun range in the area?
Any information will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 AM

36 posts, read 148,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJake View Post
If you have experience with a local realtor you would like to recommend, please forward the information. Also:
If you have retired to this area, what do you think of the healthcare system? We will have health insurance.
We belong to the US Practical Shooters Association, is there a USPSA club and gun range in the area?
Any information will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Moderator cut: Please DM the realtor information

USPSA has a club in Baileyton, not far off the Baileyton exit of Interstate 81. Tac2. There is another USPSA club near Oak Ridge. I am a "retired" USPSA shooter and range officer. Since I am now 65 and have arthritis, I don't go to the matches any more. But if you would like to set up stages and practice with me on my own property, that would be cool! I hosted an Appleseed rifle course here last year - I have lots of room and neighbors who don't complain.

There is also the Cherokee gun club, which I found pretty disappointing. No ranges for action-type shooting, and they really weren't very friendly to us. Maybe it was because I was president of NY State's largest gun club before moving, and they were afraid I might want to move in on them?

Health care seems quite adequate, especially in Johnson City and Kingsport. Check with your insurance company to make sure there are doctors who accept your plan in the area. We found that the insurance for retired NYS employees has almost no plan doctors here, leaving us to pay the "out of network" fee schedule.

Another nice thing about Tennessee, land of the free: your home state CCW license is valid here for six months after you move in, and you only have to apply for a "renewal" from Tennessee to get the Tenn. license. Your home state CCW license is also valid here for 30 days while visiting. No worries while house hunting.

Good luck!
-dan z-

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-18-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Being retired without the worries of finding a job, this area is a mecca for retirees who enjoy the great outdoors; not to mention the comparatively low real estate prices - and very low property taxes (if you live outside the city).

As a New England transplant who could never afford to return to that area - even if we wanted to (which we don't) - I think you'll find NE Tennessee an ideal place to retire. I'm sure other forum folks will tout the many additional benefits!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,270 times
Default I think the health care system is excellent..

We have been completely satisfied with the Johnson City Med Center for both minor and major medical treatments. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better hospital anywhere in the US.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 AM

30 posts, read 82,291 times
My husband, grandson, and myself just retired here in November. We couldn't be happier. We moved here from NY. The taxes in NY were killing us. We have been in love with TN since we came here 3 years ago to visit. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

We're outside the city, in Church Hill, and we absolutely love it. We are close enough to shopping centers but in a rural area, which we wanted. We'll never go back to NY....ever!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 AM

20 posts, read 84,019 times
Default Real Estate in the Tri-Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Being retired without the worries of finding a job, this area is a mecca for retirees who enjoy the great outdoors; not to mention the comparatively low real estate prices - and very low property taxes (if you live outside the city).

As a New England transplant who could never afford to return to that area - even if we wanted to (which we don't) - I think you'll find NE Tennessee an ideal place to retire. I'm sure other forum folks will tout the many additional benefits!

We are also from New England originally (CT) and are looking to settle in TN.

You mentioned "very low property taxes (if you live outside the city)" Which city?

I also would like to know what is available for museums, good libraries, etc.

We are 'leaning' toward Johnson City. Would you be willing to tell me some more about that city? Where would I find real estate ads online for that city? Is there public transportation?

Thank you very much - Linda

Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
You mentioned "very low property taxes (if you live outside the city)" Which city?

Any city. Say you are leaning towards JC and want to live in the heart of town, you could be looking at $400 in JC property taxes and $500 Washington County taxes. However if you lived in Piney Flats or Grey (easy 10 minute drive to JC) you would only pay the $500 Washington County taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol