U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,199,275 times

Advertisements

Earthen dam at Sugar Hollow Park in Bristol, VA:

This giant puffball mushroom found near Church Hill ended up in my frying pan:

Making apple butter at Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church. They made 121 gallons this year, most of it presold:

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Trip to Holston Mountain on 10/21...

Across from Tennessee's oldest business, St. John Milling Co. in Watauga (founded in 1778), is this wonderful barn (http://www.appalachianrcd.org/quilttrail/StJohn.htm - broken link):

We climbed this 100-foot tower atop the mountain:

And saw fabulous views in all directions...

South Holston Lake:

Hwy. 91 runs to Mountain City through this valley:

Looking SW toward Elizabethton:

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Near the base of Holston Mountain is Blue Hole Falls, a series of four waterfalls in the 12-20' range:

Last edited by kamoshika; 10-22-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM

On the way back to Kingsport we stopped at New Liberty Freewill Church (about 9 mi. from Elizabethton on Hwy. 91):

On a hill behind the church is a cemetery with stunning views:

We spotted a black bear in the field above, but he was too far away for my 3X zoom to capture.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 4,286,905 times
Absolutely beautiful photographs! I always enjoy seeing your photographs. You are a great photographer!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,684,472 times
Fantastic pictures! But I have a question....you really ate that mushroom? How do you know which ones are ok to eat verses the ones that send you off to wonderland???
Did you use a digital for the waterfall pictures? I know how to get that shot with a 35 mil, but haven't figured it out with the digital yet even though all the lenses are interchangeable between them. I am gonna have to buy you lunch one day and bring my camera for a little lesson hahahahaha

Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,874,193 times
I've got the opposite problem, I wanna know which ones send you off to wonderland, as opposed to which ones will send you off to the hospital.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Well ya..that too! hhahha

Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Fall in Hawkins County

I was on my way back from Rogersville tonight, had the camera and hubby was driving, so took the opportunity to take some pictures. Some of these are shots Kamoshika took too LOL!. It was late in the day and some heavy cloud cover so some are not so great, but you can really start to see the colors really coming alive. Just remember, we were moving so there are some fuzzy spots. Sorry.

Can ya see the deer?

Look familiar Kamoshika? hahahaha I LOVE this farm.

Ok, this is a site you won't see every day...well unless you live in west Kingsport hhahahaha

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Fantastic pictures! But I have a question....you really ate that mushroom? How do you know which ones are ok to eat verses the ones that send you off to wonderland???
Did you use a digital for the waterfall pictures? I know how to get that shot with a 35 mil, but haven't figured it out with the digital yet even though all the lenses are interchangeable between them. I am gonna have to buy you lunch one day and bring my camera for a little lesson hahahahaha
Thankee! I didn't know anything about edible wild mushrooms until my girlfriend and I started gathering some this month. On two separate trips out we collected about 35 lbs. and 25 different species of 'shrooms! Turned out that most of 'em were toxic, though. We used americanmushroom.com and mushroomexpert.com to identify what we'd found but we only felt comfortable eating three species, all of which were extremely tasty when sauteed with butter, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. It's hard to go wrong with the giant and purple-spored puffballs as they're pretty much unmistakable.

I used my trusty little Canon digital camera for the waterfall shots. The light was low at Blue Hole so the shutter speeds were very slow (1/6 sec.). Fortunately, my camera has an image-stabilization feature that really helps in such situations.

Love those Hawkins Co. shots! That particular farm we both admire is a real beauty.

Quote:
I've got the opposite problem, I wanna know which ones send you off to wonderland, as opposed to which ones will send you off to the hospital.
We innocently gathered about 3 lbs. of "trippy" mushrooms, but we decided the dumpster was the best place for 'em.

Last edited by kamoshika; 10-26-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol