Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times

Advertisements

On their website, no locations in east TN are shown. I've never heard of them...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
I was never really impressed with Food City. Maybe I've never been to a good one (the only one i've really been to is next to taco bell and hardees close to ETSU)? Food city always reminded me of Bi-Los. . .and that is not a good thing. The Kroger close to campus was always good when I went there. Earth Fare seems interesting.
That Food City is not very good at all. The Food City on Tusculum Blvd in Greeneville was one of my favorite stores of all time, but when I lived in Jonesborough I tried to avoid that Food City by Taco Bell in JC. Their stores are really hit or miss, and I think the same goes for Ingles.

I think there are a very sufficient selection of grocery stores in JC (and even in Greeneville for that matter). My 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM

I agree, AA, when I lived in Greeneville that Food City near GHS was great. The one on the Asheville Highway, though, I didn't like at all. The Ingles in Greeneville, I feel, is quite nice as well.

Weird as it is, Greeneville also has a Dollar General Market which is like a little grocery store. Whenever I'm down there I go and stock up on essentials!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
OOOPs I meant Food Lion
lol - how funny. Thanks for the correction! I was racking my brain for Food King. I like that name for a store though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
That Food City is not very good at all. The Food City on Tusculum Blvd in Greeneville was one of my favorite stores of all time, but when I lived in Jonesborough I tried to avoid that Food City by Taco Bell in JC. Their stores are really hit or miss, and I think the same goes for Ingles.
Yeah, some of the older Food City stores are run down, but they are pretty much constantly building new stores or remodeling the older ones. I have heard they will soon build another new one in Bristol on the Virginia side, to match the size of the new huge 2-level Food City in Kingsport. There are only two others like that, one in Gatlinburg and one in Grundy. That FC on Euclid Avenue opened there in 1985, so a new store in due I guess. Its also a very, very busy store.... one of the busiest Food Citys in Bristol or most anywhere in the Tri-Cities metro for that matter. The FC on Virginia Avenue in Bristol has been there since the mid 1980s as well. I remember when they built it. I was little, but I remember there was a car wash there.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmmm, let's see, people move here, then whine about not having a grocery store like one at the place they left. Why did they leave the place where they were from?

Then you talk about blowing competition out of the water? Locally-based corporations like Food City (Abingdon) and Earth Fare and Ingles (Asheville)?

Sorry, but that's bull****. And you people wonder why we don't like "foreigners"?

Sorry, I'm normally very optimistic here, but Jesus.
And that is the reason I can't wait until my house sells to leave the welcoming southern attitudes behind the only "foreigners" are you.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Sorry if I offended you, jerseytenn. And I'll admit, that post was wide of my intended mark. Guess I was grumpy when I wrote it. However, I think you'll find upon reading my later posts that elaborated on my concerns, that my point was very true and is something that everyone should be concerned about, not just Southerners or people living in NETN.

But anyway, sorry that TN isn't working out for you. The people here are incredibly friendly, I've found. I'm sorry that you didn't find the same.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Growing up in Church Hill, TN, there was Oakwood Supermarket in Church Hill itself, Food City in Mt Carmel and Kingsport, and then also Kroger, Food Lion (later in late 80s), and Winn Dixie.
Now, Kroger is the nicer supermarket in Kingsport, at least when I was there a couple years ago.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Growing up in Church Hill, TN, there was Oakwood Supermarket in Church Hill itself, Food City in Mt Carmel and Kingsport, and then also Kroger, Food Lion (later in late 80s), and Winn Dixie.
Now, Kroger is the nicer supermarket in Kingsport, at least when I was there a couple years ago.
They just recently built a new HUGE Food City off Eastman Rd and Ft. Henry. I LOVE their olive bar there.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Sometimes it feels to me that Food City holds Kingsport and Bristol while Kroger holds Johnson City. Dunno if that's true sales stats wise, but.

Now Winn-Dixie and Piggly Wiggly are all gone out of east TN.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Sorry if I offended you, jerseytenn. And I'll admit, that post was wide of my intended mark. Guess I was grumpy when I wrote it. However, I think you'll find upon reading my later posts that elaborated on my concerns, that my point was very true and is something that everyone should be concerned about, not just Southerners or people living in NETN.

But anyway, sorry that TN isn't working out for you. The people here are incredibly friendly, I've found. I'm sorry that you didn't find the same.
Yes, you are right and the concern is everyones. I didn't make one friend since moving here 3 1/2 years ago and I came from an area where one wasn't concerned where your devotion to God was done, nor if you were born and raised in the same town. That is the problem we are faced with here. Its a closed community we have found. The area is a beautiful one, we love our home, but we are very lonely and we have lots of neighbors in the subdivision we are in. In fact we have had several outdoor parties and have invited many who said yes and never came. So enough, enjoy your life and I hope to move on to one I can also enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol